Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2799843 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #7755 on: June 10, 2011, 11:36:34 pm »

So, apparently I'm not going back to watching Giant Robo. Instead, I'm watching Macross. The original 80's Macross.

I'm up to episode 15 or something, and it's turning out to be very very good.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7756 on: June 11, 2011, 06:23:49 am »

Anybody seen the Fate/stay night anime, OVA or movie?
It does look interesting...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: June 11, 2011, 06:28:53 am »

Saw few episodes of the anime. It's...

Well. Imagine some kind of jRPG made into anime with some strange plot about 'playing' and fighting each other for some golden Holy Grail.

Damn, it was long ago since I watched, my memory got borked :v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: June 11, 2011, 06:30:42 am »

If it's anything like the VN...

It's not that great.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7759 on: June 11, 2011, 06:37:40 am »

Well it got my attention, since I haven't seen any interesting anime with sorcerers and mages yet.
Probably going to start with the OVA, since it's said to be a recap of the anime.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7760 on: June 11, 2011, 01:57:00 pm »

I played the VN ages ago and then watched the anime by Deen, and while the anime was still better than most, it was nowhere near the quality of the VN. The movie is quite good though, but you'd need to watch the anime first to understand what was going on.

The prequel, Fate/Zero, is coming in fall, animated by ufotable (the ones behind Kara no Kyoukai). It's based off the light novel written by Urobuchi Gen (he wrote Saya no Uta and Madoka). It's going to be fantastic.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 02:00:05 pm by tehc »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7761 on: June 11, 2011, 02:08:02 pm »

Would the OVA be enough? Or does it cut to many corners, when recapping the original anime?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: June 11, 2011, 02:12:02 pm »

Just recently finished watching Irresponsible Captain Tylor...  I still can't stop laughing at some of the things he's done - and after an ending like that, I'm already unsure if those things weren't some kind of Obfuscating Stupidity ploys. A very enjoyable series.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: June 11, 2011, 02:13:01 pm »

Would the OVA be enough? Or does it cut to many corners, when recapping the original anime?

I've not got the slightest clue, since I haven't watched the OVA. But from checking, the Fate/Stay Night OVA recap is 2 hours long, which would mean it has a hell of a lot of corners cut from the Fate/Stay Night anime which is over 9 hours long, which already had some corners cut from the VN which can be much longer. I wouldn't recommend it, either watch the 24 episode anime and then the movie, or just play the VN.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 02:15:04 pm by tehc »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: June 11, 2011, 02:20:02 pm »

Game 6 of Higurashi (Tsumihoroboshi) has started to get really good now.  I'm not sure if I'll do the same thing I did when I finished game 5 of Higurashi, but we'll see.

Yeah I would have to say VNs (at least for the WTC series) are a lot more thought-provoking and interesting then their animated adaptions.  As Leafsnail said, the anime is "a psychological series without the psychological".  The animes are cool to see after reading the series just to see somebody's rendition of it though.  I don't know about the manga adaptions of Higurashi, but they're probably good like the Umineko ones.

The manga adaptions are a good chose if you want a lot more detail, but also a visual way to see everything.  At least, from what I've read of Game 1 of Umineko the manga adaptions do the VNs a lot more justice.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: June 11, 2011, 05:20:10 pm »

The manga adaptions are a good chose if you want a lot more detail, but also a visual way to see everything.  At least, from what I've read of Game 1 of Umineko the manga adaptions do the VNs a lot more justice.
But there's no music.  Someone needs to introduce mangas with Youtube links.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: June 11, 2011, 06:38:02 pm »

But there's no music.  Someone needs to introduce mangas with Youtube links.
They might as well just drop us into the world and story itself.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: June 11, 2011, 06:55:51 pm »

Game 6 of Higurashi (Tsumihoroboshi) has started to get really good now.  I'm not sure if I'll do the same thing I did when I finished game 5 of Higurashi, but we'll see.

Yeah I would have to say VNs (at least for the WTC series) are a lot more thought-provoking and interesting then their animated adaptions.  As Leafsnail said, the anime is "a psychological series without the psychological".  The animes are cool to see after reading the series just to see somebody's rendition of it though.  I don't know about the manga adaptions of Higurashi, but they're probably good like the Umineko ones.

I never really saw the VN's for Higurashi, but I think I read all the mangas(there's just sooo many, I can't be sure) and most of them were pretty good.  A couple weren't great, but that could have been because I read them so incredibly out of order.  And a couple were just awesome, particularly the first one I read, which I think was actually something like the 6th or 7th.  But I couldn't get into Umineko at all for some reason.  I've watched the first storyline of the Higurashi anime, and I wasn't really impressed by it. 

I kinda stumbled across one of the segments randomly, that's why I read them out of order.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: June 11, 2011, 07:36:10 pm »

I never really saw the VN's for Higurashi, but I think I read all the mangas(there's just sooo many, I can't be sure) and most of them were pretty good.  A couple weren't great, but that could have been because I read them so incredibly out of order.  And a couple were just awesome, particularly the first one I read, which I think was actually something like the 6th or 7th.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7769 on: June 11, 2011, 08:35:36 pm »

I never really saw the VN's for Higurashi, but I think I read all the mangas(there's just sooo many, I can't be sure) and most of them were pretty good.  A couple weren't great, but that could have been because I read them so incredibly out of order.  And a couple were just awesome, particularly the first one I read, which I think was actually something like the 6th or 7th.

Maybe?   Spoiler about what I do and don't know, but still in vague terms.
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 2191