Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2762634 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #8490 on: July 27, 2011, 12:10:58 am »

Read the first five chapters of Usagi Drop.

Not quite sure if it's heartwarming or depressing, although I do like it so far.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8491 on: July 27, 2011, 12:37:28 am »

Just finished Ergo Proxy, I would say it was fantastic.
In my top 5 favorite shows.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8492 on: July 27, 2011, 01:16:32 am »

Day 11 of Fate/Stay night is awesome.

I'll need to watch this sometime.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #8493 on: July 27, 2011, 01:46:48 am »

I need some manga that is appropriate for elementary schoolers. My two girl cousins like manga, but my aunt is having trouble finding stuff that is not "too sexual or violent".

I was thinking of suggesting stuff like Shugo Chara, Card Captor Sakura, and Yotsuba&!
Any other good ones I could add to the list?

Sailor Moon? Zoids is really cool, but I think it's only an anime, and it does have -some- violence. Pokemon? Digimon may also be a good option. They're neat, and all the main characters are kids, so your cousins can relate.

Although, really, it depends on what age they are (The first Pokemon Movie is timeless though. Timeless.). Maybe something more like Hikaru no Go (Haven't read a whole lot of it, mixed reviews) might be in order.

Day 11 of Fate/Stay night is awesome.

I'll need to watch this sometime.

Yes, you do.

Code Geass is awesome.

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

And you doubted the Chaos?

By the way, where are you at (Don't forget spoilers!)?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8494 on: July 27, 2011, 02:19:11 am »

Sadly, only on ep one.

Haven't been able to use my laptop (which have speakers and a not-fucked up screen) in a while.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8495 on: July 27, 2011, 02:35:02 am »

Read the first five chapters of Usagi Drop.

Not quite sure if it's heartwarming or depressing, although I do like it so far.

XD there are strangely many manga with this sort of things (young girl and single father)...and i kind of wonder why...

ps:
sailor moon manga? are you nuts?!
it's one of those manga whose censorship MADE it as a happy cartoon, the manga is NOT censored. imho, it's like Kodomo no Omocha, The anime was targeted for kids, but in truth, it was an adult manga, because the protagonist in the manga (the boy) wielded a knife and menaced the female protagonist once, and many more situations were quite mature. and it was also sad. ç_ç
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8496 on: July 27, 2011, 04:35:54 am »

Figured you guys might enjoy... or be creeped out. My graphics designer friend animated a short for me based on true life events: me donning a panda hat and jokingly flirting through the city.

It makes me laugh.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8497 on: July 27, 2011, 04:48:40 am »

In the sidebar...

Are all of those of you, Kael?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8498 on: July 27, 2011, 04:58:49 am »

Hah, I think it's just recommendations because the video is tagged "Kael".

My own youtube is really eclectic; there's fire spinning, party videos, martial arts... my highest watched video is my intro to Stonesense that I made for Jonask, 112k+ views, closely followed by my video montage about the Killing Fields...

4 years ago and I'd still like a stiff drink right about now.

EDIT: Oh! That reminds me that I need to upload more Joe Hisaishi piano renditions of Miyazaki film soundtracks. :3 Those are so difficult to find anywhere. *happy dance*
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:06:14 am by KaelGotDwarves »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8499 on: July 27, 2011, 06:54:00 pm »

I've come to the conclusion that the Phoenix Wright Point is too overused in anime.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8500 on: July 27, 2011, 07:12:51 pm »

I need some manga that is appropriate for elementary schoolers. My two girl cousins like manga, but my aunt is having trouble finding stuff that is not "too sexual or violent".

I was thinking of suggesting stuff like Shugo Chara, Card Captor Sakura, and Yotsuba&!
Any other good ones I could add to the list?

Ranma 1/2 mangas? Never read that myself, our french tourist/flatmate read that when he was a kid. I've only seen a little of the
anime. lots of karate, but more comedic/slapstick than bloody. popular with girls in japan. Maybe InuYasha too, that's the more recent one buy th same author. She's doing one Called Rin Ne now i think.

Rin-ne (Kyōkai no Rinne?, literally Rinne of the Boundary) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Rumiko Takahashi. It began serialization in Shogakukan's Weekly Shōnen Sunday manga magazine on April 22, 2009.[2] The series follows Sakura Mamiya, a girl who gained the power to see ghosts after an incident as a child, and her classmate Rinne Rokudo, a boy of mixed human and shinigami heritage who helps lingering spirits finally pass on to be reincarnated. The manga has been licensed by Viz Media, who is simultaneously releasing the manga chapters online in English as they are serialized in Japan.[3]

Sound imminently suitable, quinnr, and is current, and translated as they are produced. It's online apparently, don't know if it's actually for sale in print in English though. Looks like InuYasha is available in english print editions, though that's supposedly darker and more violent (relatively) than this author's other works. probably not too violent though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:25:54 pm by Reelyanoob »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8501 on: July 27, 2011, 07:25:45 pm »

Yeah, that definitely looks like one that'll fit. I'm going to go through and read a couple chapters/books of some stuff and make a list tomorrow, probably. Thanks for all the ideas!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8502 on: July 27, 2011, 07:41:19 pm »

I'd strongly recommend against all of Rumiko Takashi's works for this purpose.  She's definitely not kid lit in the US.

On the other hand, Sailor Moon?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8503 on: July 27, 2011, 07:54:04 pm »

Interesting, thx for that Vector. There must seriously be a cultural divide between us English speakers and everyone else. The french guy swears he was watching Ranma on regular TV in France at age 10, same age he read the books. Apparently nobody raised a fuss ;). Couldn't imagine that being played for young kids in Australia, UK or USA.

Didn't think her other stuff like InuYasha would be considered so risque (but apparently that's only considered like that in English speaking countries anyway, English speakers are real prudes)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8504 on: July 27, 2011, 08:00:19 pm »

Eh... well, he was French, for one thing.  I read French comic books as a kid, and yeah, the standards are very different.

On the other hand, the Ranma anime is very different from the manga, in my point of view.  It wasn't page after page of large pictures of suddenly topless women in high detail.  The nudity was played down rather than reveled in.  Not that I've got a problem with that, but, well.

Maison Ikkoku is definitely adult material.  It's probably her most mature work.

Mermaid Forest is about flesh-eating mermaids.

Lum Urusei Yatsura would mostly be okay, though I don't know how the girls' parents would feel about a girl who traipses around in nothing but a tigerskin bikini most of the time.  There's also plenty of sex jokes, of the sort that are simply incomprehensible to most kids (or, at the very least, I was very confused about them).

InuYasha is far too heavy on the blood, gore, and monsters.  I figure that if it's got detailed pictures of intestines coming out of people it's probably not suitable for little kids.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 2191