Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2804848 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2008, 06:31:43 pm »

Didn't read the FMA manga but the series was good so i'll belive you. When an anime is made after a manga and it's not as good it's usually because they need to cut out content due to allowed lenght of airtime or like in the case of fillers made to 'water it out' for profit.

One thing though, why does everyone praise Evangelon? Although it's just my opinion and that it might just been for me.(And don't flame me if im wrong, i barely remember anything of it) I do not like mecha, The characters was annoying though Rei was promising she never did anything interesting and Shinji was outright frustratingly annoying(okay, it's his character, Still annoying!)
I don't mind phychologcal aspects(I liked Lain) and remember that it's supposed to be, though i don't remember what it was, it did not counterweight the rest.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2008, 06:42:12 pm »

...oh and dont forget dragon ball! wich is now geting killed by the movie, wich by advance we can all tell it will SUCK

Well DBZ sucks hard anyways. I can't see why people likes it.

It was entertaining before the whole Cell thing.
I used to love it when I was young.

DBZ was crappy but dragon ball was great, the first one , the one akira toriyama really made, dragon ball z and Gt where agains toriyama's intention at the point that he refused to draw on GT
DBZ was good when it was a Japanese folk tale, it got a bit sucky once someone decided it would be good as a basis for a manga about weird shit.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2008, 07:08:34 pm »

There are huge differences between "A Journey to the West" and "DBZ" (For the most part... Dragon Ball follows it a bit more closely...) but add a bit of hillarity A Journey to the West can be IMMENSELY boring for the same reason as Dragon Ball Z... One ultra powerful being beating up EVERYONE for long periods of time... Don't even get me started on the overly drawn out stalemates (One in which the goal was actually to do nothing!)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:14:05 pm by Neonivek »

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2008, 09:31:11 pm »

I hate Inuyasha because it ran on too long and never gave us a REAL ending because the Manga didn't end yet... (or that is what they say)

It actually has ended.  A few years too late I might add, and it was predictable as EA giving Spore SecuROM.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2008, 11:33:50 pm »

I hate Inuyasha because it ran on too long and never gave us a REAL ending because the Manga didn't end yet... (or that is what they say)

It actually has ended.  A few years too late I might add, and it was predictable as EA giving Spore SecuROM.

Are you sure? I've seen people reference the fake ending
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2008, 05:59:42 am »

Didn't read the FMA manga but the series was good so i'll belive you. When an anime is made after a manga and it's not as good it's usually because they need to cut out content due to allowed lenght of airtime or like in the case of fillers made to 'water it out' for profit.

One thing though, why does everyone praise Evangelon? Although it's just my opinion and that it might just been for me.(And don't flame me if im wrong, i barely remember anything of it) I do not like mecha, The characters was annoying though Rei was promising she never did anything interesting and Shinji was outright frustratingly annoying(okay, it's his character, Still annoying!)
I don't mind phychologcal aspects(I liked Lain) and remember that it's supposed to be, though i don't remember what it was, it did not counterweight the rest.

Evangelion is great wen you actually look at it at a calm way, you have many hings you can praise about evangelion
a) visual style, wich is seriously great
b)general realism, i have been watching anime since i was.... 4? i never liked mechas, i just couldnt believe that someone would have a gigantic robot, until evangelion came in, why? because they really arent robots, they are just giants created from other dna, not to mention the whole explanation about how much money costed to make them, etc. Wich i find great, also the fact that it has to be connected or it wont work more than 2 minutes is also great, the weapons arent really that overpowered, and most of the time it looks like the enemy is beating the crap out of the main characters , wich is not something common
c)i get what you say, thats why you should be grown up and have some patience to watch evangelion, the thing about that is realism actually, all of the characers show their diferent issues in their own way, shinji(if thats how you write the name) had a serious issue with his father, wich is what drives him to drive the eva to show he can be of some use, however he finds himself constantly finding that he isnt worth nothing, then rei who is kinda in the opposite side, she dosnt have a family but she wants one and finds it in shinji's father, and then azuka with the complex with her mother and the typical teenage god complex, she is always trying to do everything and more and sometimes she goes too far and finds out she has a limit, what gives her those "issues" and i could go on about each character but i really dont feel like it.
d)general story, its just so perfectly made that its.... its that its just perfect.
e)meaning, the real meaning about evangelion has never been really said, there are many theories about it, some people even say its a simbolism witht he manga/anime world, me? i just think its a story about humans defending themselves from the angels, this looks simple, but i comes with many problems, why is god actually sending them to attack us? if god who created this land is sending them, what makes us worthy of living? and so on and on, also in the end its suggested that the humans are the last angel, wich poses more questions, i wont keep up with this i think that its up to each one to find the meaning, wich is what makes the series so good.

as for dragon ball was a japanese tale until dragon ball Z came out, and thats wen they started fighting aliens and spaceships and stuff like that, not to mention fighting almost without a meaning unlike dragon ball

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2008, 07:14:53 am »

I Admit that barely remember it and what i did say was about what did remember. But i did see in in a calm and analytical manner as i wanted to know why people praised it.
b) It's good that they provde a rational explanation why they exist but the battles still did not interest me and as I hated the characters piloting i could not get into it.
c) Basically, they have problems. But it seemed to me that thats all there's to the characters and if wanted to see things like that i'd watch dr.Phil, but i dont.
d) I don't have anything to complain about there i think but as i only remember some general points i'd make the assumpton that I'd think it just average, else i would have remembered more.
e) So they shoved in some brainfuck, that can be good.
I have to admit, I downloaded the serie but did not notice that I did not get the last episode, so when it was time to see it I just though "fuck it" and never looked back.

I guess that likeable characters is very important to me.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2008, 07:38:42 am »

I liked how some reviewer, somewhere, summarized Evangelion: 'Teenagers, who are not exactly sane, pilot giant robots, which are not exactly robots, and the world ends'.
This recurring end of the world theme in anime is in itself interesting. 'Saikano', 'Texhnolyze', 'Wolf's rain', 'Evangelion'. You name it.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2008, 09:27:53 am »

Watching an 'end of the world' final episode in any anime automatically makes me dislike the entire anime retroactively up to its first episode.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2008, 09:35:16 am »

Fullmetal Alchemist - Watched the entire thing, including the movie. Loved it.

Avatar, The Last Air Bender - Watched the entire thing. Loved it.

Recently started... D-Gray Man - Not a big fan of subbed stuff, like to just sit back and watch and not read. It is fairly decent so far.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2008, 09:47:49 am »

Not a big fan of subbed stuff, like to just sit back and watch and not read. It is fairly decent so far.

Really? I've gotten so used to watching subbed stuff that i don't feel comfortable UNLESS i'm reading.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2008, 09:53:03 am »

Well I tend to get lost in watching it, so when I have to start reading subs I miss things... It annoys me and I feel like I might've missed something so I go back and repeat... Especially when the text scrolls way faster than I read.

I don't read fast. (either cause I can't or I choose not to)
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2008, 02:33:04 pm »

dubs arent good unless someone put it on TV. but there are exceptions like shuffle, the dubs were far superior to the subs

i hate it when people who like subs cry like freaking babies when they can only find dub....some people like dub, its rarer, but they dont whine about it every time.

also in evangalion, not enough romance, and the ending sucked. it was 2 episodes...an hour of stupid self "realization" that wasn't even right....annoyed the hell out of me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2008, 03:35:44 pm »

Alright, that just bothers me, Evangelion wasn't a love story! no romance for you!

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2008, 04:08:10 pm »

Alright, that just bothers me, Evangelion wasn't a love story! no romance for you!
It sure wasn't, but it still wasn't good in my opinion ^^

I don't mind dubs, but in my experience they've all sucked so far so it's better to simply avoid them. And some of the proffesional translations seems worse than the fansubbed. I guess that sometimes the translators is just given a printout of the dialogue.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 2191