Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2793564 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 04:10:49 am »

*Post about wanting more manly men in anime*
Cowboy Bebop, Spike.

I still include him in my category of anime bitch-men, but he's on this side of likable, both because I like his sense of humor, and the whole thing is just so stylish.  The movie was especially good, and I respect a man who can take a beating.

They've tried to remake them for the United State's audience. All attempts so far have failed miserably.

There are different reasons.  One is cultural expectations, including characterization tropes like the ones I'm bitching about.  The different audiences have different ideas about "normal" character roles, and wholesale deviations can feel alien.

There's also the problem of dialogue writing.  I noticed this while watching Ghost in the Shell, an excellent translation that still sounds unnatural.  Partly it's the lack of colloquialisms, so everything sounds dry.  There's also the problem of non-native writers making sentences constructions that are grammatically correct (not Engrish) but don't sound like the way people actually talk, things like using five words where two would suffice.  So while it sounds like a good translation, it's still obviously a translation and not native writing.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 03:50:42 pm »

Dubs are instantly failures, that is for sure. And i do not mean just anime.
Aqizzar, you could try Lelouch of the rebellion. Althou there is a lot of mechas in it(and i hate mecha) and he's not a muscular macho guy(manly? =P) I saw it just because the main character was simply so good, could never decide if i should classify him as evil or good up untill the last episode.

What Duke 2.0 & Reasonableman say might be true, but in my opinion that would only apply to the animes made for kids, like naruto, bleach, sailormoon, DBZ etc. Anything reaching over 100 episodes is bound to become dull and uninteressting.
Though i'm curios to what kind of cartoons you are comparing. A Disney movie to sailormoon? Then i can understand why you define them as 'cheap', but Disney & Studio Ghibli? They're the same but simply uses different art.
If comparing cartoons churned out en masse like the stuff on cartoon network and aforementioned animes it's the same, they just take different aproaches.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 04:22:04 pm »

Not all dubs are instant failures, i laugh to this day at the dubs used on Shinchan.

And Code Geass: Lelouch of the rebellion (season 1 and 2) is a great show, but lelouch is by FAR not a manly character, inside or out. In fact, the only thing that is wrong with the show is the fact the it is wallbangingly obvious that although he's a smart as hell guy, ALOT of his plans fail because he's such a giant pussy on the inside.

That's not an exaggeration, like, 100% of his failed plans are because he crumbles the moment he has to hurt someone he cares about. He puts evil geniuses to shame.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:25:32 pm by chaoticjosh »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 05:45:26 pm »

You laugh at the failures, not their success right?
Let see. He's not an evil genius but a teenager and as far as i remember not many plans fails nor due to him hurting someone, but rather that he freezes up in a critical moment because someone got hurt or that he tries to think of a way to prevent something.
I prefere him over a lot of other main characters but the ones in berserk & utawarerumono comes up before in my list.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 06:41:19 pm »

I am a LOT less sensative to bad dubs seeing as I grown up with Samurai Pizza cats and Sailor moon. (actually I prefer the Dub voices of Sailormoon but looking back I am saddened that they took out some of the important aspects of the story)

Of course that isn't to say that I don't have my limits.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2008, 06:43:10 pm »

You laugh at the failures, not their success right?

The Fullmetal alchemist dub is pretty decent, and thats not a joke.

Let see. He's not an evil genius but a teenager and as far as i remember not many plans fails nor due to him hurting someone, but rather that he freezes up in a critical moment because someone got hurt or that he tries to think of a way to prevent something.

Oh, its not as simple as Lelouch 'freezing up' or 'stopping to think', its that he does blatantly stupid things. Lemme try to remember how bad Lelouch fucked up at certain points, its been awhile since i saw the series.

i'll put it in spoiler tags, just outta courtesy. Fer people that haven't seen the series, i'll spoil alot for you, so beware.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So their, Lelouch is a pussy genius the likes never before seen on this planet before. I really enjoy Lelouch's character, but he's just too stupid to be one of my favorite characters.

Tell me about Utawarerumono, i've never seen it before.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2008, 07:13:18 pm »

Seems there's simply a difference in how we interprent things.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Utawarerumono is good, but i'm not really sure how to describe it without spoiling.
It's set in an alternative medieval world and the dialogue is well blended with action.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2008, 08:00:41 pm »

It's set in an alternative medieval world and the dialogue is well blended with action.
What kind of medieval? Samurai medieval, or the awesome medieval where the pale, angry crusader in one of those cross helmets walks up to a Saracen and screams "EAT MY FISTTT!!" before punching him in the face?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, 08:05:28 pm »

Kinda odd... a ton of times in Anime no matter HOW Europian it seems there will always be something Japanish

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 08:41:18 pm »

What kind of medieval? Samurai medieval, or the awesome medieval where the pale, angry crusader in one of those cross helmets walks up to a Saracen and screams "EAT MY FISTTT!!" before punching him in the face?

This.

The game itself is painful enough for me.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 09:57:42 pm »

The second is cooler.

That was back when things were real.  Back when men were men, and if you tried to stop Christians from seeing Golgotha, the Pope himself came over and broke your fingers.

Then, some time around the invention of guns, everything got lame.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:59:17 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »

I always liked games/stories based on Native Americans.

Most of the tribes were hardcore motherfarkers because they were busy honor-killing each other before the white man came.  ::) Then it got lame.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2008, 10:16:05 pm »

I always liked games/stories based on Native Americans.

Most of the tribes were hardcore motherfarkers because they were busy honor-killing each other before the white man came.  ::) Then it got lame.

The Medieval 2 expansion pack definately makes the Tribes seem pretty epic!

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2008, 12:05:00 am »

Aeon Flux. The original anime series.

I saw a few episodes just recently... it's nothing like the movie. It's so much better.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2008, 09:06:17 am »

Aeon Flux. The original anime series.

I saw a few episodes just recently... it's nothing like the movie. It's so much better.

Are we talking "japanese anime"? Because Ĉeon Flux isn't japanese anime. Peter Chung is Korean American, it is produced in the USA I think and it aired originally in MTV, not Japan.

But Ĉeon Flux > Anime. Yes, all of it. Even the anime that hasn't been written yet. Even anime from an alternate universe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 2191