Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1336 1337 [1338] 1339 1340 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2797103 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20055 on: November 05, 2014, 08:06:01 am »

That is because Ninja in the Naruto universe is actually the word for Wizard.
I'd heard, from Completely Reliable Sources*, that he originally intended to make them wizards but went with ninja instead for whatever reason. No idea if it's true, but it'd certainly explain some things. Like why the leader was a robed old man with a crystal ball at the very beginning, and why the very first arc was concerned with a magic scroll.
*I don't even remember where, so probably The Internet

In other terms, Naruto ninjas are actually cross-classed Wizard/Monk/Psion hybrids. The reason only a relative handful out of thousands are effective is because most of them aren't good enough munchkins to turn that mess into a workable build--note how most of the ones that are also have some absurd template, like magic eyes, inner demons, &c. It's also why so many of the mooks die like chumps: low hit dice, low AC, and they're wearing armor with a decently high spell failure chance, so a lot of their spells fizzle when their spells/day and CL (and PP) are already really low.
This explanation made me giggle.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20056 on: November 05, 2014, 08:56:48 am »

I actually have a question if someone is actually knowledgeable in the Naruto-verse: From what I understand, every character, all the clans, and all the super-dee-duper ninja magic is contained on one conspicuous island. Does the rest of the civilized world in the Naruto-verse CARE that all this trippy ninja shit is happening on this island, or were all the Ninjas and their clans deliberately exiled there for whatever reason?

I always wondered if there was some kind of racist holocaust in that happened in their chronology, and the rest of the world just put all the Ninjas on boats and told them them to get up, get out, and make their home somewhere else. And that's just how they all wound up on the same Island squabbling with eachother like children and WITH their children.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:58:37 am by JoshuaFH »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20057 on: November 05, 2014, 09:05:22 am »

Build Fighters trivia! The weapons and colorschemes of the GN-Xs used by the opponents in this episode were based off of Mado King Granzort!
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20058 on: November 05, 2014, 09:14:28 am »

I actually have a question if someone is actually knowledgeable in the Naruto-verse: From what I understand, every character, all the clans, and all the super-dee-duper ninja magic is contained on one conspicuous island. Does the rest of the civilized world in the Naruto-verse CARE that all this trippy ninja shit is happening on this island, or were all the Ninjas and their clans deliberately exiled there for whatever reason?
Seems more like it's part of a larger continent. There's also apparently another continent off to the south of the main happening stuff that's got even trippier ninja shit than normal. Presumably, the really weird stuff is happening offscreen.
Spoiler: well, iirc (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #20059 on: November 05, 2014, 10:14:51 am »

Terra Formars is kind of insane. In a good way.
I think the idea is unique enough to be interesting, also the author has no idea what he's doing and it's great.
He had no idea what was supposed to happen after Bugs #2, but my brain really really wants me to believe it was planned. The whole thing is brilliant.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20060 on: November 05, 2014, 10:28:47 am »

Well a few parts of the internet are apparently on fire with the ending of Naruto now out. Why you ask? Shipping of course

It's FEF, not FEOF

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20061 on: November 05, 2014, 10:31:21 am »

TerraforMars on crunchyroll had a ludicrous amount of censorship.  Are there any versions without that?  I stopped watching because of it.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20062 on: November 05, 2014, 10:33:28 am »

Crunchyroll uploaded uncensored versions a few weeks later irrc
It's FEF, not FEOF

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20063 on: November 05, 2014, 10:34:23 am »

So they went with the 'main character marries another character and here they are in future' end?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20064 on: November 05, 2014, 10:36:41 am »

mhm. The story of how their relationship got there is being relegated to an upcoming movie though. The rage from fans who didn't have their ships win out is delicioius.

Spoiler: Other people (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:39:14 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20065 on: November 05, 2014, 10:38:54 am »

Ah sinking ships. Some people will cling to their notion that unrelated character A should bone unrelated character B because REASONS until the bitter end
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #20066 on: November 05, 2014, 10:40:43 am »

TerraforMars on crunchyroll had a ludicrous amount of censorship.  Are there any versions without that?  I stopped watching because of it.
It was censored? Oh boy.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20067 on: November 05, 2014, 11:02:33 am »

It was censored? Oh boy.
How? Lack of Blood? Different Coloured Blood??? What kind of Censor???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20068 on: November 05, 2014, 11:32:01 am »

Well a few parts of the internet are apparently on fire with the ending of Naruto now out. Why you ask? Shipping of course

Spoiler: Other people (click to show/hide)
So who's betting that a new series will show up sooner or later, starring all of the kids?
my inner shipper just went "yaaay" at the first spoiler
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20069 on: November 05, 2014, 11:36:21 am »

It was censored? Oh boy.
How? Lack of Blood? Different Coloured Blood??? What kind of Censor???

99% of the screen greyed out type censored any time there's any blood. This is on the CrunchyRoll version or any versions derived from it, e.g. HorribleSubs version. Basically any time anything violent happens the entire screen greys out and it's like a radio drama. "Wow, watching this grey screen with screaming going on is awesome".

I can testify that the Commie version at least is ripped from the Japanese uncensored version.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:37:52 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1336 1337 [1338] 1339 1340 ... 2191