Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1457 1458 [1459] 1460 1461 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2795741 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21870 on: April 02, 2015, 02:52:17 am »

idk...btw MyAnimeList was called MyKittyList yesterday and had cover art such as this one for Tantei Opera Milky Holmes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21871 on: April 02, 2015, 03:44:36 am »

I looked in the western animation thread and I'm quite surprised to see Avatar: TLA and LOK discussions there instead of here. That just confuses me even more, as I'm fairly certain those are considered "anime" to some extent.
Animesque isn't anime. (Funnily enough, the page quote references Avatar.)
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21872 on: April 02, 2015, 05:59:10 am »

Anime is more then an art style.

If shows like Totally Spies, Avatar, Legend of Korra, and the like felt like an actual show from Japan... Then maybe we would have to stretch the definition. Yet even if you were to magically turn all the characters into featureless cubes an anime acts entirely different from a western show.

But no, in this case we mean Anime was in animation that comes from Japan.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21873 on: April 02, 2015, 06:25:18 am »

I think people who are adamant that certain shows have to be allowed into the anime club because they have more complex plots than other cartoons haven't actually seen a wide selection of anime. Ok, so Avatar needs to be in the same club as Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan, right?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21874 on: April 02, 2015, 06:29:05 am »

Well the majority of anime is... bad...

Even the "bad" animes people typically watch are just... the "not that bad" bad animes.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21875 on: April 02, 2015, 06:34:58 am »

Eh, in the end I'd say use labels in whatever way is most practical. So call western/non-Japanese cartoons with a heavy anime feel 'anime-esque' (=animesque) or whatever and be over with it. Or just let people call them anime, why the hell not.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21876 on: April 02, 2015, 06:38:05 am »

Eh, in the end I'd say use labels in whatever way is most practical. So call western/non-Japanese cartoons with a heavy anime feel 'anime-esque' (=animesque) or whatever and be over with it. Or just let people call them anime, why the hell not.

Because it is the mushification of language and weakens the term Anime to the point where it is utterly meaningless.

When people who use the term Anime to refer to Anime mean Anime and not anything with a similar art style to animes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21877 on: April 02, 2015, 06:41:27 am »

I agree. If Avatar is accepted then why not Teen Titans? Then of course we have to admit Kim Possible and Ben10 and Powerpuff Girls. And if we're going there ... Dexter's Laboratory, and My Little Pony while we're at it. And why not Johnny Bravo? If we're not allowing those as anime because "those are for kids" then what about Pokemon and other children's anime? There's a lot of that, too.

But there's also another reason: very few anime shows from Japan are anything like Avatar. For every action adventure anime there are a dozen smutty harem comedies. So which is "normal" anime? By the definition of similarity, Pamela Anderson's "Striperella" cartoon or "Drawn Together" are more like the bulk of anime than Avatar is.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 06:50:43 am by Reelya »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21878 on: April 02, 2015, 07:11:15 am »

Because it is the mushification of language and weakens the term Anime to the point where it is utterly meaningless.
Language is an ever adapting force used to convey ideas. The only way to "mushify" it is to try and eliminate ideas, typically through censorship.
The only "wrong" way to use language, or the words within language is to fail to convey the idea, or convey a totally unrelated idea.
And because our ideas and the associations between them are ever-evolving this is effectively impossible to do.

Basically, if you know damn well what someone means when they call something anime, they have successfully conveyed their idea and won language.
So stop being such a cunt about it :P
or, alternatively, switch to Latin. Latin never challenges your perception of the world around you.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21879 on: April 02, 2015, 07:15:48 am »

So...

By telling you that by changing the definition of Anime from "Japanese Animation" to "Anything that remotely resembles Japanese Animation" would make the term too weak to the point of being meaningless and that most people (as in the vast majority) of people who use anime refer to Japanese Animation.

Makes me a female reproductive organ.

As in you are referring to a woman's reproductive organ as if it was an insult. As in you are referring to being a woman as a negative thing.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21880 on: April 02, 2015, 07:18:14 am »

As in you are referring to a woman's reproductive organ as if it was an insult. As in you are referring to being a woman as a negative thing.
Or, alternatively I am using a word that entered common parlance as negative in a self-demonstrating manner as to how language can evolve.

Indeed, I do this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21881 on: April 02, 2015, 07:40:33 am »

... hold up. TT wasn't considered sufficiently anime? Doesn't that have a japanese dubbed OP and everything?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21882 on: April 02, 2015, 07:41:18 am »

... hold up. TT wasn't considered sufficiently anime? Doesn't that have a japanese dubbed OP and everything?

It didn't have a beach episode. It can't be Anime.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21883 on: April 02, 2015, 07:42:17 am »

It didn't have a beach episode. It can't be Anime.
SIGTASTIC

Indeed, I do this.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21884 on: April 02, 2015, 08:30:43 am »

I only call Avatar anime when I'm trying to annoy someone who watches it
Pages: 1 ... 1457 1458 [1459] 1460 1461 ... 2191