Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1881 1882 [1883] 1884 1885 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2796198 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28230 on: July 20, 2016, 07:34:11 am »

and that's exemplified in that Rei's power-up arc does in a few minutes what Luke's took 2+ movies to achieve.
So in a few minutes this Rei guy gets powerful enough to lose instantly to the main villain and then spend the next minute or so being shocktortured? That's not too unrealistic I think :P

Rey's the girl ... And I'm talking about how she instantly learns Jedi mind tricks that took Luke 2+ movies and lessons by Obi Wan and Yoda, basically over the course of a couple of minutes, without even knowing that those tricks were possible.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:37:28 am by Reelya »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28231 on: July 20, 2016, 07:36:00 am »

Someone missed the joke.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28232 on: July 20, 2016, 07:42:14 am »

Yeah sorry I'm tired. I got it afterwards. And it's not just Rey, you have all the shit with untrained non-force-sensitive Joe Blows being suddenly able to wield lightsabers, holding their own against trained Sith Lords. It makes a lot of what everyone went through in the rest of the franchise suddenly meaningless, which ties into what Neonivek was saying.

~~~

Back on topic, No Game No Life the movie has been announced. But the movie is apparently from light novel volume 6, which is a prequel set during the war between the gods. There's no info yet on which studio is actually doing the work, which is not how it usually goes. Madhouse did the TV series, but if my theory is correct then they won't be involved again due to them publicly accepting blame for the author's multiple plagiarism scandals. So there's some fallout that hit the previous production company due to the author's sloppy ethics, and perhaps they're keeping who's actually working on this movie on the lowdown to avoid speculation on the reasons. Maybe it will be Madhouse again, but I'd be real curious as to why they wouldn't just announce that along with the movie: it's usually a big selling point.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 08:11:18 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28233 on: July 20, 2016, 09:43:14 am »

On a dare, I must now view two anime. The first:
Valkyrie Drive. Yeah. Aaand..

THE ASTERISK WAR
HOHOHOHOHO
Valkyrie Drive is so dumb that it winds up being fun.

Then a friend of the missus asked her what we were watching, she mentions a couple shows, Valkyrie Drive being one of them, turns out she was asking for her teenage cousin. She later said "he uh, appreciates the awesome suggestion" but she didn't think it was quite as funny.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28234 on: July 20, 2016, 12:43:18 pm »

There is a boruto movie and a manga of some sort (I typed magma first, dammit df) which basically amounts to "oh hey, you know everything that everybody fought and died for, all the progress they made breaking the cycles of parents making mistakes and children repeating them, the peace that had been established due to all of the sacrifice and bloodshed throughout this entire series? Well guess what..." from what I can tell.

It is kind of the major flaw sometimes of sequels... In that they often have to drag up conflict that was resolved or create new ones making the original seem pointless.

It is why I am starting to SERIOUSLY respect series that decide that they are over (Unlike say... Halo the series that never ends).

Halo ended with the conclusion of Halo 3. Everything else is just hallucinations caused by the dust Microsoft raises every time they toss the corpse off a cliff to see how much money comes out.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28235 on: July 20, 2016, 12:45:07 pm »

*Applause*
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28236 on: July 20, 2016, 01:52:47 pm »

Yeah sorry I'm tired. I got it afterwards. And it's not just Rey, you have all the shit with untrained non-force-sensitive Joe Blows being suddenly able to wield lightsabers, holding their own against trained Sith Lords. It makes a lot of what everyone went through in the rest of the franchise suddenly meaningless, which ties into what Neonivek was saying.
It's not just competency, the movie felt rushed in general. Pilot Guy was obviously supposed to be kind of important, but the movie blew through his characterization at breakneck speed. Captain Chick was worth naming and giving shiny armor, then did nothing except get taken hostage. Finn's (FIN's?) motivation is kind of abrupt and never super clarified, there's a pretty brief gap between "oh shit there's a Death Star, again" and "well let's blow up the Death Star, again," Innmaster Fishyoda is super easy to find and has all the answers anyone needs, and so on.

But the movie is apparently from light novel volume 6, which is a prequel set during the war between the gods.
Out of morbid curiosity, how's that quality wise, if you're (or anyone else is) familiar with it? I'd expect crap, but it sounds like he'd have to break out of the formula or Mahouka himself cramming the formula in.

Then a friend of the missus asked her what we were watching, she mentions a couple shows, Valkyrie Drive being one of them, turns out she was asking for her teenage cousin. She later said "he uh, appreciates the awesome suggestion" but she didn't think it was quite as funny.
I'm not sure whether to say Mission Accomplished or Great You've Inflicted Poor Taste On Another One.

So Mission Accomplished, probably.

Everything else is just hallucinations caused by the dust Microsoft raises every time they toss the corpse off a cliff to see how much money comes out.
Aaaaand now I need a second new quote to refresh my sig.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28237 on: July 20, 2016, 04:55:29 pm »

Spoiler: Toradora Episode 8 (click to show/hide)

Had to cut the quotes short due to technical issues on sprins end.

We've agreed to finish 8 individually since it's giving us so many problems. Next is 9

EDIT: And then I watched Eva with BFEL

Spoiler: EVANGELION EPISODE 1 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:44:22 pm by Karnewarrior »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28238 on: July 20, 2016, 05:20:38 pm »

I just remembered I haven't seen Ep. 7 yet, so I keep having to reread because the characters Rey and Finn don't sound like ones in any current anime but I have no basis for who they actually are.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28239 on: July 21, 2016, 01:03:54 am »

Ok, I've had time to check out a few more of the season.

91 Days is looking pretty good. Great muted art style, lots of no-nonsense 1920's gangsters gunning each other down. Hero with a vendetta willing to just blow motherfuckers away in cold blood / shoot people in the back, so no pussy-footing around "good guy" stuff.

Days - soccer anime. Sticking with the tradition in sports anime of the hero being a complete noob, but plucky. Other than being terrible at soccer (likely to kill himself if he tries to kick a ball), I'm not sure what the hook here is. The best of these shows have the hero having some sort of personality quirk that's at odds with their sport's stereotypes, but this guy is more the blank slate type. Still ok, since by definition such a series must include character and plot progression.

Amanchu (latest thing by the Aria mangaka + director of Aria / Princess Tutu) is looking nice. Cute and fun slice of life. The setting is a bit more mundane than Aria however, so I don't think this will quite hit the same sweet spot. So just "nice". Flying Witch last season was a more standout charming slice of life.

Handa-Kun, which is a prequel to Barakamon, is pretty good. But the premise is somewhat similar to Sakamoto desu ga?, which just aired. Kinda bad timing there. Handa-kun is a massively paranoid neurotic mess who believes the whole school is out to bully him, so he is always trying to weasel out of any situation he's in. But the reality (unknown to him) is that he's popular and widely liked. Inadvertently, his cowardly actions are misconstrued by everyone else and only serve to make him more popular.

Time-Travel Shoujo is a science anime, with actual science in it (obviously barring the time travel). The opening credits showcase the characters in the anime. Kinda looks like any average anime up until the 50s mark ... then you get the supporting cast, which is a little "different". The science part of it is actually pretty valid. There was a CPR scene in the first episode which was actually very realistic.

Fukigen na Mononokean - first episode looks ok. Highschooler dude who can see youkai. Nothing revolutionary, but so far it's tasteful and there's no sign of the magic battles or harem type shit that is so prevalent with that sort of setting.

Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru: man what a dull first episode. I don't think I can watch any more of this. The humor sucks and there aren't any likeable characters, as well as the premise being boring. There's no real hook that I can see.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:52:06 am by Reelya »

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #28240 on: July 21, 2016, 10:36:50 am »

Time-Travel Shoujo is a science anime, with actual science in it (obviously barring the time travel). The opening credits showcase the characters in the anime. Kinda looks like any average anime up until the 50s mark ... then you get the supporting cast, which is a little "different".
Fucking sold.
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28241 on: July 21, 2016, 11:02:14 am »

Pretty funny about the robot and hot chicks thing when you consider what Eva-01 really is.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28242 on: July 21, 2016, 12:44:47 pm »

I gotta echo the comments, y u no Tesla?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28243 on: July 21, 2016, 07:43:33 pm »

So Bleach is ending soon apparently, and there's some trollan' going on of course, which led me to crap this out. If you care about bleach spoilers (hah!) go read the newest one, otherwise, hopefully you appreciate the joke here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I assume a better shoop artist will end up doing this sooner or later but I had to see how it looked dammit.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28244 on: July 21, 2016, 08:39:02 pm »

bfel001: I SMOKE 90 CIGARETTES A SECOND
Karnewarrior: LUNG CANCER?! WHAT LUNG CANCER
bfel001: GIVE ME CLOSE AIR SUPPORT ON LUNG CANCER

Weld Galvanized steel!! It's just like smoking a few dozen cartons every second with that smoke!!
I'm not joking. Last year my work's welding side was welding drainage corrugated galvanized steel with the grate on top. You should have seen the smoke.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.
Pages: 1 ... 1881 1882 [1883] 1884 1885 ... 2191