Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1978 1979 [1980] 1981 1982 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2764142 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29685 on: December 15, 2016, 06:48:19 pm »

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHH!!!

Ok... Time for "What the heck Japan!?!"

Ok this is something I miiiiight need someone to chime in on... So one anime is insinuating that abuse victims (at least of certain kinds of abuse) are kind of... Austricized in Japan or at least shamed.

Now I normally would have no reason to believe this tripe except... Japan is sort of a very... "Keeping up appearances" kind of country. So it isn't like it doesn't fit...

And heck, it isn't like the Western countries are always welcoming victims with open arms either...

So uhhh... Is this the case?

(Wait a minute... Didn't other animes dwell on this exact plot point too? Something about never being able to be a good wife?)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #29686 on: December 15, 2016, 06:50:28 pm »

Yeah that's pretty much spot-on. They are getting better though. Kinda.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29687 on: December 15, 2016, 06:54:18 pm »

So basically Screw the source material we want money.

The vast majority of humans aren't anal retentive about every adaptation being identical to the source material. It's also counter-productive for no real reason except "being identical is better" for some poorly defined reason.

I mean, why should a TV show based on a book have identical dialogue, sequence of events and focus as the work which inspired it. Also: you're getting angry that they added "stuff not from the book" in there, when that hurts you in some undefined way except being outraged that it's not exactly like the book.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:04:05 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29688 on: December 15, 2016, 07:04:04 pm »

Yeah that's pretty much spot-on. They are getting better though. Kinda.

Oook... and given that this takes place... like 10-15 years in Japan's past (well more like 25 years given when it came out)... It is doubly true...

Still remember that scary scene where a woman, due to gambling problems caused by abuse she received at home, had her child burn to death when her car was on fire because she abandoned him in the car. So when this was found out... basically everyone in that business felt it was their job to punish this woman and not only harassed her but it was implied that just by working there she could actually lose them customers.

To admit while I say this... The main character actually sympathized with the mother because she experienced how inconsolable she was after it had happened, that she would cradle her dead child and even managed to cry tears of blood because of it and was willing to actually stick her neck out to for her... An act of love and tragedy so immense that it moved her so much that she took it upon herself to convince this mother to live and to atone by living a better life because suicide is too easy... The main character being the one who hired her in the first place and considered this woman to be the strongest person she ever met.

So basically yeah Japan can criticize Japan quite well at times.

The vast majority of humans aren't anal retentive about every adaptation being identical to the source material. You might want to look at that expectation from the outside.

It isn't that... It is more of a "Why bother?" situation. They want the recognition and some of the skeleton of the source material but none of the heart... While substituting their own material that no one would buy into otherwise into the now blank slots.

A typical Adaptation is you keep only what you need and discard the rest... removing even what was normally important elements if it was necessary... What you can't keep you can also translate and make it take a new form.

OR you take a piece and make it "Inspired" by the original, a sort of retelling where there are only meant to be similarities but is otherwise a completely different work.

It is kind of as they say: "If you wanted to tell your own story, then tell your own story. Don't take someone else's story and present as your own".
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:08:51 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29689 on: December 15, 2016, 07:07:09 pm »

Well look at Sailor Moon for an example of that done well.

But I'm not sure about your "no-one would by into" point, because anime is a business, and their business is in creating things people want to watch. Anyone incapable of that is long since out of business, since it's very competitive. What we have now is the exact result of giving people what they want to watch.

Some people got angry as well that individual chapters of To Love Ru got extended so they became full episodes of the show, and that outraged them. I'm not sure why exactly, since that's just more material now, that still fits into the general plot. It's not like they "broke" the plot overall by doing so.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29690 on: December 15, 2016, 07:10:46 pm »

Well look at Sailor Moon for an example of that done well.

Sailormoon also kept most of the important plots, expanded a few of the characters, and while it didn't follow the plot beat by beat it got to most of it... While also eliminating the elements that didn't work. (Heck, they even kept stuff they REALLY shouldn't have).

All while keeping the heart of the piece which is a sort of fairytale, romance, and what have you.

The only character sort of Butchered, I guess, is Ray... whose personality in the Manga was "Pretty" at the time.

It isn't what I am talking about.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:15:02 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29691 on: December 15, 2016, 07:15:10 pm »

Well if you have a case then you should cite some examples (in spoilers, with title of show in the spoiler title).

With a vague "they do that" claim, then any counter-claim is "not what you're talking about", you're doing a "no true scotsman" argument, and can shift-goalposts for infinity.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29692 on: December 15, 2016, 07:22:33 pm »

Well not exactly... Because typically this results in an anime bombing (Someone ignoring the well written story in an anime to write their own story forgetting what was well written in the first place can often result in a bad anime? That is insane!)

But an ACTUAL example of someone "Doing it right" would likely be Yu-Gi-Oh. Which is NOOOOOTHING like the Manga that inspired it... Like... at all... and basically rewrites the characters to fit stereotypes... Only carrying with it the broadest of strokes from the original.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29693 on: December 16, 2016, 02:58:56 pm »

Not always bad. KonoSuba is a thoroughly mediocre LN, but because the studio essentially just did what they wanted and the VAs had a good time and improvised lines, it turned out to be one of the best shows of its season, to the extent where its sequel is one of the most anticipated shows of the upcoming season.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHH!!!

Ok... Time for "What the heck Japan!?!"

Ok this is something I miiiiight need someone to chime in on... So one anime is insinuating that abuse victims (at least of certain kinds of abuse) are kind of... Austricized in Japan or at least shamed.

Now I normally would have no reason to believe this tripe except... Japan is sort of a very... "Keeping up appearances" kind of country. So it isn't like it doesn't fit...

And heck, it isn't like the Western countries are always welcoming victims with open arms either...

So uhhh... Is this the case?

(Wait a minute... Didn't other animes dwell on this exact plot point too? Something about never being able to be a good wife?)
That's not nearly unique to Japan. Globally, it's much more common than the opposite.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29694 on: December 16, 2016, 03:03:26 pm »

That's not nearly unique to Japan. Globally, it's much more common than the opposite

Yep... there are countries WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse... It makes Japan look stellarly progressive by comparison.

Worse First World Countries in that respect... I have no idea, I'd have to research.

Edit: I should state by "Look progressive" I mean in that specific area! Japan, like any country, has aspects that are more and less progressive than the US. In NO WAY did I want to insinuate that Japan is a backwards country. A LOT of my observations are based on not only a purely western point of view, but also because of its source fiction obviously would draw upon issues in Japanese society rather then some sort of weird nationalistic "We are awesome".

I also ask a lot of the time not to emphasize "Man Japan is a terrible country" (though I say that out of hyperbole >_> sorry) but rather... Because I know fiction often makes up issues... Like stupid Click Highschools THAT DON'T EXIST TV!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:58:05 pm by Neonivek »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29695 on: December 16, 2016, 04:42:42 pm »

S2E49 of Fist of the North Star (by Crunchyroll's counting) recaps the end of the previous episode basically shot-for-shot. But... they totally redrew it. The colors and everything are different, there's new shots, I think they even re-recorded the lines. It looks nothing like the episode it's recapping.

It looks good, but why spend all that money when you could literally just put the old footage? FOTNS doesn't seem like an expensively-made show.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29696 on: December 16, 2016, 05:16:06 pm »

Are you thinking of the "Now I can never get married" type of jokes. Basically those are a one-liner which hint back to conservative Japanese society when there were arranged marriages. The groom's family would investigate the bride to ensure she was of "good stock", so something like rumors of sexual impropriety by the bride would screw her chances of marrying in the arranged marriage system. Obviously this was a big deal in the post-war period where tradition and modernity started to clash head on. Marriage rates in actuality have slumped and the whole arranged marriage system is basically in tatters.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 05:19:12 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29697 on: December 16, 2016, 06:45:33 pm »

Like stupid Click Highschools THAT DON'T EXIST TV!
Took me a bit to figure out you meant clique. They're not common in my experience either, but the next town over from where I grew up was sort of known as being a very hollywood-stereotype school like that, with nerdy nerds and jocky jocks and etc.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29698 on: December 16, 2016, 08:24:46 pm »

Like stupid Click Highschools THAT DON'T EXIST TV!
Took me a bit to figure out you meant clique. They're not common in my experience either, but the next town over from where I grew up was sort of known as being a very hollywood-stereotype school like that, with nerdy nerds and jocky jocks and etc.
I mean you can still see them in reduced form even in less stereotypical schools. My highschool was the only highschool for 3 hours around, and while they weren't super prominent you still had the group of theater kids, the group of band kids, the advanced computer lab group, the football players, the cheerleader group, the group of foreign exchange students, and so forth. Nowhere near as cut and dry as hollywood likes to make them, but the groups definitely existed and had some amount of separation between them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29699 on: December 17, 2016, 06:53:50 am »

man yesterday's episode of JoJo was the most hype ever

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 06:55:57 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 1978 1979 [1980] 1981 1982 ... 2191