Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1979 1980 [1981] 1982 1983 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2762677 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29700 on: December 17, 2016, 10:45:12 am »

Ok there are definitely two common translations of Japanese that always perplex me...

1st) Demon: So you would think this would be some sort of malevolent spirit, creature, or monster right? NOPE! Honestly you could replace the translation to Spirit or monster and lose absolutely nothing. Bonus points because not only are Oni ALSO translated to Demon as their exclusive name... But demons? Yeah Japan actually has a term for what we call demons.

-Japanese: A order of beings from benevolent to malicious, from meagre to literal gods.
-English: Demons from hell or at least malicious beings bent on destruction/corruption/what have you.

Seriously this made watching Inuyasha difficult because EVERYTHING is called a Demon... Even Saki spirits were demons... Even Pipe Foxes were demons... Even Moon Spirits were demons. Everything that wasn't a human or ordinary animal was a demon.

2nd) Curse: Now this isn't always odd. Yet the thing about "Curse" is it basically means "Enchant, except evilly"... A more accurate translation would be Hex... but it wouldn't be as cool

Cursed Sword
-Japanese: The Sword pulsates with dark impulses making it extra powerful!
-English: The Sword will harm the user or someone else specifically.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29701 on: December 17, 2016, 11:18:03 am »

Oni is really better translated as ogre or troll. Akuma are demons. There was a really bad subbing effort from the 1990s of Onikirimaru where Oni was translated as "Ghost" when it should have just been Ogre probably. More recent sources just call it Ogre Slayer.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 11:21:58 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29702 on: December 17, 2016, 09:57:57 pm »

Oni is really better translated as ogre or troll. Akuma are demons. There was a really bad subbing effort from the 1990s of Onikirimaru where Oni was translated as "Ghost" when it should have just been Ogre probably. More recent sources just call it Ogre Slayer.

I bet I know why they translated Oni has ghost :P

Because Oni can be blue... and hungry ghosts are sometimes depicted as being blue... BOOM! Oni are ghosts!

Mind you I bet Oni can be more then two colors... Just that, well... the most famos story is between a Red and Blue Oni.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29703 on: December 17, 2016, 11:55:21 pm »

Ok I just heard something hilarious

So SAO in the anime sold about 10,000 units (a TERRIBLE sale)... And this reviewer was just analyzing the game itself and said the writer is a terrible game designer.

Which... come to think of it... Yeah... it is almost like secret canon :P

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29704 on: December 17, 2016, 11:59:14 pm »

The oni/demon thing is a lot like the kami/god thing, the concepts are similar, and there is definite overlap, but they really don't describe each other well.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29705 on: December 18, 2016, 12:01:16 am »

So SAO in the anime sold about 10,000 units (a TERRIBLE sale)... And this reviewer was just analyzing the game itself and said the writer is a terrible game designer.

I recently saw that too. Pretty neat video! Note to writers of any stripe: research is fuckin' important.

But yeah. I agree with a lot of his thoughts on Sword Art Online. The only iteration I can stomach is the Abridged Series.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29706 on: December 18, 2016, 12:07:02 am »

Seriously this made watching Inuyasha difficult because EVERYTHING is called a Demon... Even Saki spirits were demons... Even Pipe Foxes were demons... Even Moon Spirits were demons. Everything that wasn't a human or ordinary animal was a demon.

Ahh, i know what happened there. They're probably collectively called Yokai in Inuyasha, which is the catch-all term in Japan for monster spirits. "Demon" is the usual translation for Yokai.

Now, the thing is, the greek Daemon is probably the best translation for Yokai. Greek Daemons like Yokai can be good or bad, similar to fey spirits in Western European folklore. Except that in Christianity the Greek Daemon (spirits) were turned into biblical evil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_(classical_mythology)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 12:11:04 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29707 on: December 18, 2016, 12:29:06 am »

I seriously don't know why they don't use "Spirit" other then people typically associate them with ghosts and ethereal beings.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29708 on: December 18, 2016, 12:41:08 am »

I recently saw that too. Pretty neat video! Note to writers of any stripe: research is fuckin' important.

But yeah. I agree with a lot of his thoughts on Sword Art Online. The only iteration I can stomach is the Abridged Series.

Dunno if it's been mentioned in the thread but SAO is apparently gonna have a movie soon. Official site. You can click the X in the upper-right to skip whatever animated intro thingybob it tries to load.

The trailer on that site says there's a "Live-action TV series underway in Hollywood", which I'm curious if it's gonna be just as awful as the anime.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29709 on: December 18, 2016, 12:57:58 am »

Like stupid Click Highschools THAT DON'T EXIST TV!
Took me a bit to figure out you meant clique. They're not common in my experience either, but the next town over from where I grew up was sort of known as being a very hollywood-stereotype school like that, with nerdy nerds and jocky jocks and etc.
I mean you can still see them in reduced form even in less stereotypical schools. My highschool was the only highschool for 3 hours around, and while they weren't super prominent you still had the group of theater kids, the group of band kids, the advanced computer lab group, the football players, the cheerleader group, the group of foreign exchange students, and so forth. Nowhere near as cut and dry as hollywood likes to make them, but the groups definitely existed and had some amount of separation between them.
I think you went to stereotype school. We didn't have none of that in my high school. Groups of friends, yeah, but overlapping and complicated groups.

(demons and curses)
The demon thing is hard because there's way more words for demons, monsters, and spirits (as broad categories) than we have. Not that it couldn't be done better, I suppose. Curse doesn't have a great translation, especially since you often see a concept of something being cursed not by magic but just because it was associated with some terrible shit that happened.

For an inverse of the demon problem, something that's bothered me recently: Japanese has only one word that covers both heretics and heathens, and it's pretty much always translated to heresy, even when that's clearly the wrong one to pick.

I seriously don't know why they don't use "Spirit" other then people typically associate them with ghosts and ethereal beings.
I think for a lot of things, it's because it's simply because it's been done that way for a while now and so most weebs know what you mean anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29710 on: December 18, 2016, 01:41:29 am »

SAO Abridged is great, SAO sucks, but it's worth noting that the 10k units was a deliberate limit. As in, only 10k units were sold. Obviously the intent was to restrict the population of players in the death-game, if you had anything approaching the market's carrying capacity for the first full-dive VR MMO you'd have millions of people, which would rather defeat the point (both in that in-universe they could ultimately brute-force victory and out-universe that there wouldn't be much room for the individual (protagonist wank).

It was specifically noted at different points early in the series that people were lucky to get their hands on copies.

It's still shit, but that part was logically sound. Kayaba wanted a limited playerbase and probably sold the 10k launch units idea as a hype-building tool to his financial backers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29711 on: December 18, 2016, 01:45:24 am »

I did not expect SAO Abridged to get me.

It did.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29712 on: December 18, 2016, 03:07:17 am »

My bet is that the Live Action SAO is going to try and air right after Game of Thrones ends. Basically everyone will be trying to tap into that market.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29713 on: December 18, 2016, 03:27:50 am »

HOLY COW!!! SAO Season 2... has probably the densest collection of serious plotholes I ever seen I am trying to even think of an example of something else.

I mean GOODNESS! and they reveal them really REALLY close together one after the other...

It really has to be seen to be believed but wow!

Basically they are trying to force a scenario and thus have to make up a lot of nonsense in order to make it happen... but it goes so over the top that it becomes incredulous. And these aren't tiny nitpicks like how monumentally huge Liar Game would have to be... These are IMPORTANT details.

If there is an anime that manages to drop a bunch of critical plotholes all at once MORE then this anime manages to... I have to see it.

---

ALSO DANG IT SAO Abridged!!! get to season 2 it is genius! alas it won't happen.

Seriously Season 2 is like... Abridge GOLD!

---

Edit: Also by season 2... I mean SAO 2
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:41:53 am by Neonivek »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29714 on: December 18, 2016, 06:31:57 am »

SAO Abridged is great, SAO sucks, but it's worth noting that the 10k units was a deliberate limit. As in, only 10k units were sold. Obviously the intent was to restrict the population of players in the death-game, if you had anything approaching the market's carrying capacity for the first full-dive VR MMO you'd have millions of people, which would rather defeat the point (both in that in-universe they could ultimately brute-force victory and out-universe that there wouldn't be much room for the individual (protagonist wank).

It was specifically noted at different points early in the series that people were lucky to get their hands on copies.

It's still shit, but that part was logically sound. Kayaba wanted a limited playerbase and probably sold the 10k launch units idea as a hype-building tool to his financial backers.
Oh, uh, Mothers Basement did another episode on that (I'm not even sure if what we're beating can be called a horse now), and he mentioned that part, he mentioned it there, on the link, but bottom line is it wouldn't be likely to happen since A: Most of the game sales would be distributed digitally and it's a bit difficult to artificially halt that and B: The financial backers just wouldn't sign off on that because if you're strangling your launch window you're losing a good portion of your sales since most of the time games get the majority of their sales close to when they first released.

I'm not sure if I totally agree, but it makes sense, honestly my first assumption when it came to that player cap was just 'Oh, the big antagonist just locked down each instance individually, so there are a bunch more people, but they're in different instances than our MC.'
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:35:09 pm by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 1979 1980 [1981] 1982 1983 ... 2191