Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1993 1994 [1995] 1996 1997 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2807374 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29910 on: February 03, 2017, 03:54:23 pm »

Is it just me or has Kono Suba gotten more fanservicey in the second season? I know it was there before, but it was usually just kinda sitting there on the sidelines or used in a joke of some sort. The last few episodes have felt like they're pushing it kinda hard and I'm not sure I like it. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind tits or anything but it's not the reason I watched the first season and I'm kinda weary of watching it any further if they keep it going like this :s
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29911 on: February 03, 2017, 05:35:49 pm »

Well we did have the thing where in season 1 they were obsessed with almost-panty shots (buttocks shots) of the goddess girl. They weren't that big on boobs however. I mean, this sort of thing was near-constant in season 1, there's usually at least 1-2 shots like this per episode, plus they actually have a number of similar shots in the opening credits. This is a shot from the first episode:

Spoiler: NSFW (click to show/hide)

So yeah, it was a fairly specific type of fanservice for people who like naked loli butts, and it's not really on the sidelines once you're aware of it. Perhaps season 2 is more in your face, IDK, but perhaps you're just picking up on it more. Haven't started any of the new shows yet so I can't say.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29912 on: February 03, 2017, 05:41:54 pm »

Yeah, that's just placing shots for maximum fanservice, it's framing, it can be annoying but for the most part it's background noise. What started happening now it seems is that they're going out of their way to make shit happen, it's not just framing shots to show maximum ass, it's framing entire situations to show maximum ass/tits/whatever.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29913 on: February 03, 2017, 06:26:23 pm »

Yup I get what you mean. One of my favorite examples of the difference is Divergence Eve. While completely chock full of fanservice, it's all incidental, and the plot/dialogue itself has no "ecchi" to it. Which is what reviewers say is it's main fault. It's trying to do two things at once: be a super-bouncy colorful show about a team of babes in sexy military outfits (visually) while also trying to be a gritty noir sci-fi horror with political intrigue and existentialism (plot and dialogue). While both parts are executed well, each part gets in the way of most people who would like to watch a show for one or the other.

Another show with this sort of discordance was Madan no Ou to Vanadis. Basically about 2/3rds of the time the show is a medieval mildrama, similar to Arslan no Senki, but then the top generals of one country (literally just one of the nations) are all giant-boobed valkyrie/magical girls. Naturally, the hero is expelled from his own country and becomes a vassal of one of the big-boob generals, and the other big-boob generals are fighting for his attention. But most of the time it is in fact a mildrama with battle formations, tactics, politics and intrique (and people who wear normal clothing). So you have the odd juxtaposition of these two types of show, game-of-thrones type shit and harem-antics type shit. And sometimes the seams really show more than others. One episodes was almost 100% battles and complex tactics and negotiating between regular generals, but then they felt the need to insert a "accidentally sees the magical babes in the hot spring / random boob grope" scene right at the end. It had the feeling of a design-by-committee anime, where someone was checking whether each episode had it's "boobie quota" and that episode with the battles didn't, so they inserted a completely unnecessary hot springs scene at the end, using the girl characters who didn't even appear in the frikking episode itself.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:11:57 pm by Reelya »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29914 on: February 03, 2017, 06:41:49 pm »

It's important to remember what you're fighting for.

Massive tits. :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29915 on: February 03, 2017, 06:42:44 pm »

"Conan-san! What is best in life?"

"anime tiddy"
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29916 on: February 03, 2017, 11:44:27 pm »

Is it just me or has Kono Suba gotten more fanservicey in the second season? I know it was there before, but it was usually just kinda sitting there on the sidelines or used in a joke of some sort. The last few episodes have felt like they're pushing it kinda hard and I'm not sure I like it. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind tits or anything but it's not the reason I watched the first season and I'm kinda weary of watching it any further if they keep it going like this :s
The tone is a bit different since they're getting into the kind of stuff that the anime skipped the first time around, but I’m not noticing a big change in anything like that. I mean, there's some, but the bath scene in s2 seemed way tamer than in s1, for example.

it was a fairly specific type of fanservice for people who like naked loli butts
But there are no lolis in this show.

Also Aqua is really not portrayed sexually. Like, at all. She has a butt and if you're into butts I guess that'll do something for you, but it's played for comedy (making fun of her lack of decorum) rather than something lascivious.

Yeah, that's just placing shots for maximum fanservice, it's framing, it can be annoying but for the most part it's background noise. What started happening now it seems is that they're going out of their way to make shit happen, it's not just framing shots to show maximum ass, it's framing entire situations to show maximum ass/tits/whatever.
I think there's an argument for this with the Darkness episode specifically, but I haven't noticed that being the case in other episodes. And Darkness was always sort of that way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29917 on: February 03, 2017, 11:59:57 pm »

Alright time to actually watch that anime Reelya suggested!

Here is the play by play as I watch it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll edit this as I keep watching.

Well the first episode was fine, but OHH BOY was it a first episode. The show really hasn't shown its strengths yet, the ending miniature story was fine... but it was kind of unearned and serves only to highlight the themes of the anime at this early juncture.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:45:46 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29918 on: February 04, 2017, 12:43:51 am »

You know, if you're going to give a minute by minute breakdown of a show you really should spoiler that.

But it seems like you, you wanted a shows about feels with a redeemer and then you complain about everything in it that's genre-specific, such as the soundtrack. -_-

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29919 on: February 04, 2017, 12:47:17 am »

You know, if you're going to give a minute by minute breakdown of a show you really should spoiler that.

But it seems like you, you wanted a shows about feels with a redeemer and then you complain about everything in it that's genre-specific, such as the soundtrack. -_-

Naw it was a joke based around the fact that Western "Acoustic Guitar songs" often devolve into... attacking women's insecurities and the only cure is me!

Some a LOT more obvious then others (Hello "All the little things")

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29920 on: February 04, 2017, 12:49:37 am »

Well luckily there seems to be no chance of the romance blossoming, since the girl shown in the credits is:

A) Dead
B) His Grandmother

Combined, these two facts would make their dates completely awkward.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:53:18 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29921 on: February 04, 2017, 12:54:38 am »

Well luckily there seems to be no chance of the romance blossoming, since the girl shown in the credits is:

A) Dead
B) His Grandmother

It is RARE that a song in a anime opening has any real relevance to the show. MOST of the time they are meant to thematically connect to at least one aspect of it.

Though it is possible it is meant to be between him and his grandmother and it has less romantic implications and more "I'll be your friend so you won't ever be lonely"

And yet it still wouldn't even hit the top 10 weirdest romances in anime. Heck being dead is like bonus :P

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29922 on: February 04, 2017, 12:55:19 am »

A) Dead
B) His Grandmother

On the other hand, if this were a work by CLAMP, this would be no obstacle at all.

EDIT: Alright, the whole "dead" thing might be the bigger hiccup of the two, given that I even today still remember the hubbub that happened during TsuCron's anime run, but that's what reincarnation romances are for. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:57:53 am by Culise »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29923 on: February 04, 2017, 12:55:33 am »

Can you specify what anime that was again?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29924 on: February 04, 2017, 12:57:45 am »

Can you specify what anime that was again?

Natsume Yuujinchou

If I wasn't clear by my comments. The first episode is nice, but it is a "First episode" I'll have to watch 2-4 more episodes before it really clicks. This is because the first episode had to lay a LOT of groundwork and themes all at once. I am still hopeful the anime is good.
Pages: 1 ... 1993 1994 [1995] 1996 1997 ... 2191