Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2010 2011 [2012] 2013 2014 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2803325 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30165 on: March 26, 2017, 06:12:55 pm »

Does anybody here loved Rakugo as much as I did?

Rakugo is great, but I'm so far behind now I haven't started Rakugo season 2 yet.

Also nearly finished Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan. Highly recommend as a school comedy that's not about cute girls.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 06:14:45 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30166 on: March 26, 2017, 08:29:21 pm »

Well that has to be a first time I've seen a pregnancy delivered by magic.
I mean did you really want to see it done the usual way?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30167 on: March 27, 2017, 05:21:40 pm »

Megumin is a Crimson Demon, but what exactly is that?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30168 on: March 27, 2017, 05:32:53 pm »

Megumin is a Crimson Demon, but what exactly is that?
A race* that was artificially created by one of the dudes that Aqua sent to this world in the past using his cheat gift. They universally have brown hair and red eyes, and are good at magic and massively chuuni, as their creator was. The name (Crimson Demon) is also a chuuni thing, they're not demons and the only thing more crimson about them than humans is their eyes. And their wardrobe in a lot of cases, I guess.

*Also a tribe. And it's unclear where this use of "race" lies on the scale from real human ethnicity to D&D-style separate species. Although they can reproduce normally with humans. I think a race/tribe of this sort is most comparable to the sort we get in Irish and northern European mythologies.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30169 on: March 28, 2017, 09:22:54 pm »

Wow Little Witch Academia another really esoteric reference (well for Japan)

A KISS reference. O_O

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30170 on: March 28, 2017, 09:24:08 pm »

Japan is pretty up on old bands. It's not that esoteric. Also the typical age for people behind these shows (well the producers and directors etc) is probably 40s - 50s, so Kiss is right in their age range.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30171 on: March 28, 2017, 09:25:10 pm »

Ok, I guess it isn't as insane as their freeken Aim for the Ace reference. (Seriously it wasn't even that popular when it was on the air O_o)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30172 on: March 28, 2017, 09:28:25 pm »

You don't know about Aim for the Ace then.

Manga 1973-1980, 18 volumes.
First anime 1973-1974
Second anime 1979-1980 + movie 1979
OVAs 1988-1990
Live Action TV Show 2004

The relevant info is here:

The manga was a hit, having sold approximately 15 million copies, which makes it one of the best-selling shōjo manga series of all time. Although the television series initially received low ratings, reruns were more positive received by fans, as well as the second series. The anime is considered a hit on Japanese television and though aimed toward schoolgirls it was popular among people of both sexes, and was also popular in Europe. In 2001, the anime magazine Animage ranked the 1979 television anime as the twenty-second of the Top 100 anime productions of all time. In 2005, TV Asahi conducted a "Top 100" online web poll and nationwide survey asking viewers for the best television anime series; Aim for the Ace! was placed fourteenth in the online poll and thirty-fourth in the survey. Responsible for a tennis boom among high school students in the 1970s, the series was still popular as of 2015 appearing in several online web polls of most influential sports anime.

The 1973 series was in fact cancelled halfway because of low TV ratings, but that changed as it became very popular with re-runs, leading to the full 1979 series. So the idea of "not very popular" is only true if you're living in the mid 1970s.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:36:44 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30173 on: March 28, 2017, 09:36:50 pm »

WOW! That certainly explains things.

The 1973 series was in fact cancelled halfway because of low TV ratings, but that changed as it became very popular with re-runs, leading to the full 1979 series. So the idea of "not very popular" is only true if you're living in the mid 1970s.

A lot like the original Star Trek series... well to an extent.

I didn't know it basically had more popularity off the air then it had on it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30174 on: March 29, 2017, 12:27:24 pm »

Japan is pretty up on old bands. It's not that esoteric. Also the typical age for people behind these shows (well the producers and directors etc) is probably 40s - 50s, so Kiss is right in their age range.
See also: JoJo.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30175 on: March 29, 2017, 12:29:30 pm »

See also: ogre battle/tactics ogre, whose game and chapter titles usualy reference Queen songs and albums.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30176 on: March 30, 2017, 03:27:31 am »

Man... Judging entire universes by AVERAGE power level is such nonsense.

So much so that I actually think it is a plot point.

Though what I love about it is that they sort of handle it realistically somewhat... With people at the top being so flattered that even though it is a pointless achievement they take it as a medal of honor. With those at the bottom now suddenly taking it as an insult or oversight.

Where once the Supreme Kai's were more about leading their people to enlightenment, now their new priority is power.

---

Though one problem I know I am going to have... is that once again a character I actually like is going to turn out to be evil.

Dang it I suffered enough in Bleach with my FAVORITE character being the main villain.

But maaaaybe I won't have to lose one of my favorite characters.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 03:31:36 am by Neonivek »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30177 on: March 30, 2017, 05:17:52 pm »

Dang it I suffered enough in Bleach with my FAVORITE character being the main villain.
Are you talking about Aizen or Old Man Zangetsu?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30178 on: March 30, 2017, 11:18:50 pm »

Are you talking about Aizen or Old Man Zangetsu?

Aizen... man I loved pre-evil Aizen.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30179 on: March 31, 2017, 02:15:25 pm »

Man... Judging entire universes by AVERAGE power level is such nonsense.
I mean, if you had some magic way to make the whole universe's power land in a single attack through some form of giant spirit bomb, then the combination of number of residents and average power would let you easily rank universes on a their strength. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 2010 2011 [2012] 2013 2014 ... 2191