Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2014 2015 [2016] 2017 2018 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2803827 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30225 on: April 15, 2017, 01:06:39 am »

My face lit up with glee when I saw in a screen cap that there is literally a scene where our (Mahouka) hero breaks someone's ribs... and THEN proceeds to tell the parafreekenmedics how to do their job.

No he didn't break it, the evil Chinese did when they were trying to rig the school sports day. This isn't a spoiler, the evil chinese are always behind everything. And no this is not a parody. It takes itself completely seriously.

First year highschooler Tatsuya was luckily on the scene to take command of the paramedics. He must have taken a course in medicine during middle school, in between training to be the world's greatest inventor/engineer/magician/marksman/martial-artist/secret-agent/super-soldier ... along with anything else that he's good at which I've forgotten, such as becoming a flying Jesus-Terminator.

Also world's greatest typist apparently since the girls in class go ga-ga over him merely operating a keyboard to look up course information. This is slightly understandable in a cultural context when you realize that PCs are a niche hobbyist thing in Japan, most people use phones for the internet. So good typing skills are actually uncommon. But usually ... you'd expect real Japanese girls to think you're a nerd not an "alpha male" if you're good at typing.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:41:36 am by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #30226 on: April 15, 2017, 01:38:55 am »

and actualizing a Quasi-perpetual Motion Machine based on Infinite Inertial Expansion
I swear this show has given me more joy time than it actually runs.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30227 on: April 15, 2017, 02:51:34 am »

But usually ... you'd expect real Japanese girls to think you're a nerd not an "alpha male" if you're good at typing.

No you see Tetsuya is such an amazing typist he breaks through the social stigma and becomes smexy.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30228 on: April 15, 2017, 02:57:23 am »

I average 90ish WPM on a good keyboard, how come I can't get a date. For that matter, how come I'm not ridiculously good at magic as well? Mahouka's portrayal of typing ability is bullshit.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30229 on: April 15, 2017, 08:05:10 am »

You don't understand, he's not good at magic, he's basically a magical cripple, which is why his story is so heartwarming and inspiring.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30230 on: April 15, 2017, 09:27:48 am »

While its been awhile, I did watch the first 7 eps of Mahouka, and I can attest that it was a test of my will and fortitude just to finish just that.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30232 on: April 15, 2017, 07:54:42 pm »

Just started watching some April shows at random here's my first impressions.

Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism - goddamn terrible. It's an "Avoid at all costs" type of show. Ecchi battle harem, the whole setup sucks, has cringeworthy "humor", characters suck, artwork sucks, fanservice sucks. Generally a pile of suckage with no reason to continue it.

Clockwork Planet - ok, sci-fi anime with a bunch of anime cliches, but it's much more competently put together than the above and might have some story to it. Occasional high-level fanservice so it's not introductory type anime. It's the sort of thing that would be ok to watch but it isn't going to break any new ground.

Renai Boukan - good! Very funny and the characters are genre savvy. But you have to be fairly anime-savvy to get the references/jokes. Don't watch this if you haven't seen death note, because the death note parody is central to the storyline here.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:06:18 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30233 on: April 16, 2017, 02:16:58 am »

Dear freeken goodness how valuable is the wildlife in Dragon Ball Super?

The Poachers can muster a small army of infantry and armored missile trucks.

It is so excessive, and hilariously so, that it reminds me of drug dealers in super hero comics.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30234 on: April 16, 2017, 08:43:44 am »

Last episode of SAO:Abridged is out of copyright strike hell.

Aaaand now I've binged the whole thing. Good night, Saturday.

Fucking satisfying, wasn't it? I wish they had the time and energy to turn every shitty harem LN adaption into something interesting and enjoyable.

Renai Boukan - good! Very funny and the characters are genre savvy. But you have to be fairly anime-savvy to get the references/jokes. Don't watch this if you haven't seen death note, because the death note parody is central to the storyline here.
Oh that sounds like it might be... huh. It's actually pretty good. Thanks.

3. Run Resize Enable

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30235 on: April 16, 2017, 08:47:51 am »

Every time people bring up that Mahouka thing I keep thinking it's some sort of elaborate prank or in-joke with all the participants unusually disciplined to keep the charade going.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30236 on: April 16, 2017, 09:19:05 am »

And we didn't even get around to the "getting on the bus" scene, and the multiple "isn't Tatsuya amazing" comments during and after getting on the bus:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think that and the so-called "love speech": "i really love Tatsuya, but i settled for you instead because you're an average loser like me". "Gee thanks hon" (non-ironically) are my favorite scenes.

Other than that, one notable point is that battles last maybe 10-15 seconds because Tatsuya is a mad teleporting ninja, but then they have 10 minute discussions of what he did, with slo-mo cgi and technobabble, consistently and sneakily morphing into a huge circle-jerk about how cool Tatsuya is. Basically you can't see the fights then they have a powerpoint presentation explaining it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:29:52 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30237 on: April 16, 2017, 09:31:45 am »

It kind of hits a certain weirdness in terms of what is usually "Super appealing characters" which is... they are a LOT more interesting to chase then they would be in a relationship.

Do you honestly think Tetsuya would be particularly warm, caring, or thoughtful? Mind you I am sure if it happened that he would buy her but a single rose which would cause her panties to vaporize on the spot... But seriously. (Heck I am sure in bed Tetsuya somehow memorized the Kama Sutra and has perfected it... in spite that being against his character... because he is a Mary... err I mean because he is such an erudite)

Trust me lady, you chose the right guy.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30238 on: April 16, 2017, 09:39:46 am »

Actually I've thought of a way to troll the author. The siblings live alone, so I'd ask him who does the cooking? He'd probably say Miyuki. Then I'd say, "so Tatsuya can't cook?" to which he probably reply "no Tatsuya is a world class masterchef, but he lets Miyuki do the cooking because it makes her happy and keeps her out of his hair".

So that's how to troll this author, it's to ask him what Tatsuya can't do rather than what he can.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:41:22 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30239 on: April 16, 2017, 10:00:35 am »

So that's how to troll this author, it's to ask him what Tatsuya can't do rather than what he can.

You don't seem to understand Tatsuya can't do anything! He has all the disadvantages! That is why he is so amazing for overcoming it!
Pages: 1 ... 2014 2015 [2016] 2017 2018 ... 2191