Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2111 2112 [2113] 2114 2115

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 1509744 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Bonfire&Chill
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31680 on: August 07, 2018, 04:03:40 pm »

Darling in the Franxx?

Tho it kinda eases up on the giant mecha midway trough when drama starts to go ham.

Still, pretty good shit overall.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
Free hugs for those who need them!
AS - IG

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31681 on: August 07, 2018, 04:06:01 pm »

If you like Gundam, 008 MS Team and Turn A Gundam are both classics. I've heard Gundam Thunderbolt is pretty good as well.

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer of Broken Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #31682 on: August 07, 2018, 04:08:46 pm »

Evangelion is the only giant mecha thing I've seen, besides a Big O abridged thing. Coming at this from literally nothing else.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Bonfire&Chill
    • View Profile
« Reply #31683 on: August 07, 2018, 04:18:09 pm »

Kuromukuro then. It's Evangelion with less interesting mecha designs but characters that aren't irritating twats all the time.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
Free hugs for those who need them!
AS - IG

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31684 on: August 07, 2018, 04:22:01 pm »

Well, I guess I gotta recommend Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It's not particularly Evangelion-esque, but it's a great super robot show and the mecha get quite giant indeed.

I heard somewhere that RahXephon is quite similar to Evangelion in style but has different themes, so maybe give that one a shot as well. I haven't seen it myself.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion! Sign-ups starting now!

We're playing Dragon Quest in here!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody cared who I was until I danced the Kung Fu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31685 on: August 07, 2018, 07:20:53 pm »

Evangelion: 4.0 any day now.

aaaaaannnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyy  ddddddddaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy nnnnnnoooooowwwwwwwwww
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31686 on: August 08, 2018, 01:40:02 am »

So.

Giant mecha.

What's worth watching? If it's bizarre or Evangelion-esque, that's just great.

Macross 7 is pretty bizarre, though in a very different way to Evangelion. The MC of Macross 7 is like the anti-Shinji: dude seriously doesn't give a fuck about anything except rockin' out. "basara eats a leaf" (video) is indicative of the dude's attitude to anything that isn't rockin' out.

Though start with the OVAs (short series) Macross Zero and Macross Plus, (optionally 1982 Macross here, if you can deal with 1980s animation, but it's a classic for a reason) then Macross Frontier (the slickest looking Macross with epic space mecha battles + great soundtrack). (then the optional Macross 7 but it's completely retarded and an acquired taste). Avoid the new one Macross Delta entirely, it's completely meh.

As for TTGL, check out the OVA Gunbuster 2 for an earlier version of some of the same ideas. Gunbuster 1 is effectively unrelated: Gunbuster 2 was what happened when the new generation at Gainax (who later became studio Trigger) started to take the reins.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:58:23 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31687 on: August 08, 2018, 05:35:20 am »

One of my secret shames is Godannar. It's the perfect blending of giant mecha robot fights against giant insects and fanservice. *Puts arm around Woody's shoulder* Fanservice. Fanservice everywhere.

And if you're willing to go back in time a bit, there's Giant Robo. It's amazingly hammy and oldschool in all the right ways.

And if you want a classic, something that used to be on Toonami's anime block is Big O. The first description that pops into my mind is if David Cage's 'Detroit: Become Human' also just so happened to have giant robot battles in it. Plus you'll like the opening song: BIG O! BIG O BIG O BIG OOOOOOOOOOOOO.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 05:37:38 am by JoshuaFH »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31688 on: August 08, 2018, 05:07:07 pm »

So.

Giant mecha.

Macross 7 is pretty bizarre, though in a very different way to Evangelion. The MC of Macross 7 is like the anti-Shinji: dude seriously doesn't give a fuck about anything except rockin' out. "basara eats a leaf" (video) is indicative of the dude's attitude to anything that isn't rockin' out.

Though start with the OVAs (short series) Macross Zero and Macross Plus, (optionally 1982 Macross here, if you can deal with 1980s animation, but it's a classic for a reason) then Macross Frontier (the slickest looking Macross with epic space mecha battles + great soundtrack). (then the optional Macross 7 but it's completely retarded and an acquired taste). Avoid the new one Macross Delta entirely, it's completely meh.

As for TTGL, check out the OVA Gunbuster 2 for an earlier version of some of the same ideas. Gunbuster 1 is effectively unrelated: Gunbuster 2 was what happened when the new generation at Gainax (who later became studio Trigger) started to take the reins.
Was Macross 7 the one with the giant surfing SDF scene?

Wait, quick check suggests it was Macross Plus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uULjjKgHPkE

Which is stupid but fantastic and reminds me of Eureka 7 for my giant robot suggestion.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31689 on: August 09, 2018, 01:21:44 am »

Wait, quick check suggests it was Macross Plus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uULjjKgHPkE

Which is stupid but fantastic and reminds me of Eureka 7 for my giant robot suggestion.

That's one of the Macross Frontier movies, not Plus*. Personally, I didn't really like those movies, I liked the TV version of Frontier a lot more. The problem is condensing down a character-driven story into a couple of movies, it really removes a lot of the character interaction and plot development.

* Also I'm not sure you've seen Macross Plus, or Frontier, since either way you should have notice it's not Plus. Macross Plus is old school 2D animation, whereas that's a recent 3D animation.  Additionally, Macross Plus is all about a couple of test pilots flying next-gen fighters for rival aeronautics companies and doesn't feature space battles, giant robots, or aliens, or stuff like what is shown in that video.  Macross Plus is all one-on-one dogfighting, in atmosphere.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:57:04 pm by Reelya »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31690 on: August 11, 2018, 12:17:31 am »

Evangelion: 4.0 any day now.

aaaaaannnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyy  ddddddddaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy nnnnnnoooooowwwwwwwwww
People still watch the rebuilds?  :P

I don't think I ever finished 3.0. Apparently, there was a gay piano and Kaworu got one billion percent destroyed, but I don't recall it. I definitely watched the first bits, but once it dropped pretty much the whole Eva setting and replaced with with some weird waterworld/XCOM2/TTGL crossover with maximum edge, I just stopped caring.

Eva was good, but the rebuilds don't really feel right. I don't think they... FEEL like Eva any more.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - A quest starring Mukuro Ikusaba, about distancing yourself from emotional abuse by... Becoming entangled in a three-way war for the fate of the planet?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31691 on: August 11, 2018, 01:05:53 pm »

Code Geass is pretty darn great as far as mecha shows go. Plenty of giant robot fights as well as neat tactics and strategy. It isn't particularly evangelion-like, but I would easily consider it one of the best mecha anime out there.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31692 on: August 13, 2018, 01:22:02 am »

That's one of the Macross Frontier movies, not Plus*. Personally, I didn't really like those movies, I liked the TV version of Frontier a lot more. The problem is condensing down a character-driven story into a couple of movies, it really removes a lot of the character interaction and plot development.

* Also I'm not sure you've seen Macross Plus, or Frontier, since either way you should have notice it's not Plus. Macross Plus is old school 2D animation, whereas that's a recent 3D animation.  Additionally, Macross Plus is all about a couple of test pilots flying next-gen fighters for rival aeronautics companies and doesn't feature space battles, giant robots, or aliens, or stuff like what is shown in that video.  Macross Plus is all one-on-one dogfighting, in atmosphere.
Hell if I know, I thought the one with the next gen fighter battles was Macross 7 for some reason, but that is indeed the one I've seen besides all the old harmony gold'D stuff back in the day.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31693 on: August 13, 2018, 02:49:07 am »

Macross Zero is the one thing to consider checking out. It's a short and self-contained prequel to the original Macross, and is visually stunning as fuck - despite being 15 years old, Zero still blows away most new TV animes in terms of mecha battle animation.

Macross 7 is ... amazing. Fucked up. Mind you, it's got plenty of flaws and is a love or hate sort of thing. If you're familiar with it, it's not something you'd ever confuse for any other anime, even any other Macross anime.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:16:41 am by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #31694 on: August 13, 2018, 05:47:07 pm »

So.

Giant mecha.

Well hey there!

Lemme pull together a list of what I can think of off the top of my head. There's quite a variety of mecha out there, and so there's a lot of places you could start from depending on your preferences in media.

Before we start, if you're not familiar with the terms, mecha is considered to be divided into two sub-genres, real robot, and super robot. It's not really clearly defined and in some ways are more art movements than genres so there's a lot of debate regarding the terms, but for simplicity's sake super robots are shows where the mecha are treated like super heroes and run on pulp and old comic book logic, while real robot shows are ones where the mecha are treated as industrial machines, and tend to run on 80s scifi logic. Eva is considered a hybrid between Super and Real in a lot of ways, but can be argued to lean more towards the super side due to the way its story is structured to be reminiscent of monster of the week super robot series for a lot of its run.

This is more of a general mecha list than an Eva-like list it should be noted, though there are a few I put in there. For some other shows that are compared to Eva but don't know well enough to list here, check out RahXephon or Argento Soma.

Some other shows I've heard favorable recs for but don't know that well are DaiGuard, Martian Successor Nadesico, Overman King Gainer, Fafner in the Azure, or GunxSword
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:48:26 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 2111 2112 [2113] 2114 2115