Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2102 2103 [2104] 2105 2106 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2806619 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31545 on: October 07, 2018, 06:03:22 pm »

I haven't really kept up with the index/railgun franchise, but apparently Accelerator gets his own show now (next year sometime). He was definitely the coolest of the antagonists in Index and a lot of people were wondering whether he'd get his own spin-off. Also there's Index III now, and Railgun III was announced at the same time as Accelerator. Seems like the franchise is really kicking off again.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 06:07:00 pm by Reelya »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31546 on: October 07, 2018, 06:38:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Accelerator spinoff was confirmed before they finished Railgun II...they've just taken forevers to make it happen. Hopefully that time has been spent advancing the source materials...I haven't really kept up.

Honestly I feel like I would need to go back and rewatch the whole thing from the beginning before I could get back into this series again.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31547 on: October 07, 2018, 11:54:06 pm »

This is not about any anime in particular, but about the genre in general...

Why is it that male protagonists are seeming to get more and more gender-ambiguous?

They are practically Ziggy Stardust level (or higher) ambiguous these days. These guys would have to spend literally an hour in the bathroom with a hair dryer and a curling iron to get that kind of appearance if they were real, and would have deep personal knowledge of beauty tips for cosmetic application.

Hardly the kind of thing that goes hand in hand with either giant robots, or fighting demons, which would tend to either be hot and sweaty in an enclosed space, or tend to be hot and sweaty with lots of acrobatic movement. (We are talking 1980s strength industrial-adhesive-hold hairspray required here.)

I just scratch my head and wonder why this is...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31548 on: October 08, 2018, 12:09:19 am »

I mean if you're talking about Jojo then yeah the characters get more and more flamboyant over time. 

Though that kind of androgyny has been around for quite a long time in the anime cess pool IIRC.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31549 on: October 08, 2018, 12:20:18 am »

Why is it that male protagonists are seeming to get more and more gender-ambiguous?
I think it's a result of design by committee. They figure that guy watchers won't give a fuck what the guys look like, but girls will. So the girls are all superbabes and the guys are all straight out of Japanese boy bands.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31550 on: October 08, 2018, 12:28:18 am »

And so it was good.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31551 on: October 08, 2018, 01:54:24 am »

They are practically Ziggy Stardust level (or higher) ambiguous these days. These guys would have to spend literally an hour in the bathroom with a hair dryer and a curling iron to get that kind of appearance if they were real, and would have deep personal knowledge of beauty tips for cosmetic application.

Hardly the kind of thing that goes hand in hand with either giant robots, or fighting demons, which would tend to either be hot and sweaty in an enclosed space, or tend to be hot and sweaty with lots of acrobatic movement. (We are talking 1980s strength industrial-adhesive-hold hairspray required here.)

It's reflective of general Japanese fashion. The fashion of young celebrities anyway. Older celebrities don't go for this (I think it's a bit generational) and ordinary people for the most part lack both the time and the inclination to go for that look. But people like boy bands (as Reelya says) have drifted more in that direction, and anime is following behind, albeit with several years delay for the most part.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31552 on: October 08, 2018, 05:38:29 am »

Ok, so EVEN MORE very promising animes starting up this season:

Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san basically if Inferno Cop was a book store employee instead of a cop. Speaking of Trigger...

SSSS.GRIDMAN I haven't watched this yet, but it's Trigger, so I guess it's going into my roster.

and you guys probably won't believe this last one:

Anima Yell! About highschool cheerleaders. I started this one up, and preemptively placed my mouse over the X button to close it out if it turned out to just be a cutesy fanservice show. Turns out it's not, and actually has some promise to it, again reaffirming my intuition that anime about niche topics are made by talented people more often than not.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31553 on: October 08, 2018, 06:56:12 am »

Gridman is ok I guess, it's certainly pretty and well made but I worry it might not have much substance beyond that and monster of the week plot. Tho it's only one episode so we'll see I guess.

I'd like to give a shout out to Gakuen Basara, which is basically Romance of the three kingdoms (the capcom one) but in a high-school setting. I guess it'd help if you knew the characters from the game but even without that it's pretty much a giant hamfest of bigger than life characters chewing the shit out of the scenery over stuff like who gets to use the school playing field.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31554 on: October 08, 2018, 08:27:01 am »

Gridman is ok I guess, it's certainly pretty and well made but I worry it might not have much substance beyond that and monster of the week plot. Tho it's only one episode so we'll see I guess.

I'd like to give a shout out to Gakuen Basara, which is basically Romance of the three kingdoms (the capcom one) but in a high-school setting. I guess it'd help if you knew the characters from the game but even without that it's pretty much a giant hamfest of bigger than life characters chewing the shit out of the scenery over stuff like who gets to use the school playing field.

The only reason i'll watch a non-cyberpunk anime.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31555 on: October 08, 2018, 09:31:36 pm »

So my wish has come true, and the next season of Golden Kamui has started.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31556 on: October 11, 2018, 02:33:13 am »

So I love Goblin Slayer like the slightly better than average worldbuilding inside a trashy action thriller it is, but fuck that shit. Where's my god damn dungeon meshi anime???

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31557 on: October 11, 2018, 06:46:01 am »

Gakuen Basara doesn't actually have anything to do with Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

You're mixing up the Japanese Warring States Era with the Chinese one. Capcom's Sengoku Basara is set during the Sengoku period. That's the period which (later) included the rise of Oda Nobunaga and ended with the Tokugawa Shogunate.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:47:32 am by Reelya »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31558 on: October 11, 2018, 06:52:36 am »

Right, must've misread the blurb on it as I checked the thing out on a whim (which turned out to be a good whim all things considered)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31559 on: October 11, 2018, 07:33:32 am »

Of course, this is anime, so naturally there are actual series that are RoT3K set in highschool as well.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:55:39 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2102 2103 [2104] 2105 2106 ... 2191