Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2103 2104 [2105] 2106 2107 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2764159 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31560 on: October 11, 2018, 09:48:53 am »

I'm thinking Gridman is in the running to be Trigger's biggest anime since Kill la Kill, though of course it's too early to say anything for sure. But based on the first episode I'm already liking it more than I did Franxx or Kiznaiver. Although my tastes aren't necessarily representative of those of the general Trigger fan, since I didn't even finish Franxx (or Ninja Slayer) but I enjoyed Inou Battles for what it was. Setting aside popularity, it definitely could be their best since Luluco, which obviously is their best of all time.

So I love Goblin Slayer like the slightly better than average worldbuilding inside a trashy action thriller it is, but fuck that shit. Where's my god damn dungeon meshi anime???
It would be difficult to do justice, and there's no good spot to end the season. Furthermore, the manga is good already. It really doesn't need an anime.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31561 on: October 16, 2018, 03:04:47 am »

I've been having some fun looking into all the anime references in Star Trek TNG. It gets ridiculous:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Nanite

Nanites consisted of several components with different functions. Nanites used in the 24th century are composed of a forward propulsion block, an Oneamisu receiver, a Ranma ½ gyro block, a hex growth stack, Otomo calibration ...

(Wings of Honneamise, Akira and Ranma 1/2 referenced here)

Another substance "Keiyurium" is straight up named after the protagonists, Kei and Yuri of an ecchi sci-fi anime called Dirty Pair. This anime gets referenced a ton of times in TNG for some reason. I guess the guys really liked it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:07:30 am by Reelya »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31562 on: October 21, 2018, 03:49:48 pm »

Oh, lol. They remade Jin Roh - one of my favourite animes of yore - as a Korean live action ('Illang'). Anyone seen both and can say how it compares? I'm kinda intrigued but don't want to waste an evening trying to get into it. LA adaptations don't exactly have a great track record of not being third-rate films, and the original was kinda perfect, I thought (back when I was more impressionable and less jaded).
It's on Netflix, in my region at least.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 03:52:06 pm by Il Palazzo »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31563 on: October 22, 2018, 02:06:34 pm »

Finally got peer pressured into watching the first season of Overlord.

What's really surprising is just how standard it is. I kept hearing praise about it being different or "the only good isekai" and so on. Meanwhile everything concrete I saw/heard was just how hard Papa Bones was pwning noobs. Turns out neither depiction is accurate; there really isn't that much crushing worthless peons like grapes, but there is pretty much solid wall-to-wall wanking off on how great he is. It's really just bog-standard Mary Sue fanfiction.

Like, virtually every single scene involves people joyously exclaiming and/or Mister Skeltal demonstrating how absolutely fantabulously awesome he is. They can kinda get away with this with the Guardians at first, because there's some interesting religious/relationship stuff going on there between The Grand Creator and The Legacy Of My Friends, but even that's over the top. Then there's a campfire scene that's just a full five minutes of textbook Mary Sue "oh no how could I say that terrible thing to offend him how careless of me how will I ever make it up to him" and "amazing I'll bet this wizard pretending to be a warrior is at least as good a warrior as the best warrior in the kingdom I'm sure he's an amazing legend," from people he's just met.

In typical fashion, it does have some interesting ideas, but squanders or waffles on most of them as convenient. It also apparently suffers from pretty bad compression syndrome, where some things make more sense in the LN but get left out or glossed over in the anime. Whether that matters or not for judging the anime is a matter of personal taste, I suppose.

The one thing I'll give it unconditional praise for is the faces. For whatever reason it's super good at super expressive facial expressions, which is visually fantastic and helps drive a lot of the humor home. It also suddenly went full 80s vampire for no reason for a single scene, which was amazing.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31564 on: October 22, 2018, 03:09:25 pm »

...Papa Bones pwning noobs...

...Mister Skeltal demonstrating how absolutely fantabulously awesome he is...

Consider, if you will, who it was that gave you this glowing recommendation.

Ulterior motives may be at play here.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31565 on: October 22, 2018, 04:17:40 pm »

In typical fashion, it does have some interesting ideas, but squanders or waffles on most of them as convenient. It also apparently suffers from pretty bad compression syndrome, where some things make more sense in the LN but get left out or glossed over in the anime. Whether that matters or not for judging the anime is a matter of personal taste, I suppose.
Yeah, people singing high praises are mostly talking about the books. I don't think the anime is all that great, honestly. They do what they can, but by the nature of the medium it's light on the thoughts and motivations of the characters, and that characterization is what the whole series is built on.

I also think that people who praise the series really highly are thinking of the most recent volumes they've read, thinking mostly of the latter half of what's been released. In other words, the arcs that the anime is only now getting to. Although the conclusion of the ninth volume was a great highlight and something that would benefit quite a lot from the visceral engagement of an audiovisual format, but turned out not that great as the climax of the third season, in part because the art design wasn't up to it. It was something that called for over the top Urobuchi dramatics, and it ended up relying on wonky CGI instead. It's understandable for budgetary reasons, of course, but explaining a problem doesn't solve it.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31566 on: October 22, 2018, 04:23:38 pm »

there has only ever been one good isekai it's called log horizon and it's only good because it's got fantasy video game politics down fucking flat

all other isekai is trite garbage at worst and disgustingly mediocre at best
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31567 on: October 22, 2018, 06:54:30 pm »

There are good ones, but you have to look past the post-SAO light novel glut for them.

For example, Now and Then, Here and There is a good anime.

It depends on how you define isekai however. Is "Now and Then, Here and There" a "true" isekai, or are we defining isekai as the "trapped in generic MMO-like world" stuff. If we're using the "trapped in a DND like world" definition then we're limiting ourselves to stuff that's more likely to be tripe just because of how derivitive and limited that definition actually is.

The one I enjoyed the most of those however is Isekai Shokudou.

To explain Isekai Shokudou, it's almost exactly like the anime "Bartender". in Bartender different patrons stumble upon a nice little bar hidden down a side street where they discover great cocktails, whereas in Isekai Shokudou, monsters and heroes from a fantasy world stumble upon a portal that leads to a gourmet restaurant in Japan where they discover great Earth cooking.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 07:08:37 pm by Reelya »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31568 on: October 22, 2018, 08:23:23 pm »

ironically, OG sao is barely isekai

it's also the worst shit ever made since b-train reared its fugly head and i took great masochistic pleasure in watching literally every second of all mainline sao content and the fact that the 3rd season has premiered has my whole body eager to burn in fucking flames
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31569 on: October 22, 2018, 10:03:14 pm »

I think the first part of SAO is basic isekai.

SAO was about how a guy was trapped in a fantasy MMO, and his knowledge of said MMO from being a beta-tester allows him to pwn everyone and dominate the game.

Other writers then wanted to emulate the success of SAO, but they knew they couldn't just copy the "trapped in an MMO" concept completely, so they made "SAO minus the MMO".

The big problem here is that SAO's first arc plot is "beta tester pwns noobs when trapped in an MMO fantasy world" whereas the derivative shows are "otaku pwns locals when trapped in an actual fantasy world". Which doesn't make any fucking sense when you think about it. The whole point about Kirito being elite was because he had more experience in that world than everyone else. So it makes no sense when you translate the plot of SAO to a real fantasy world and have the newcomer pwning all the locals who've lived and studied their entire lives there.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 10:30:32 pm by Reelya »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #31570 on: October 23, 2018, 12:55:55 am »

Finally got peer pressured into watching the first season of Overlord.

What's really surprising is just how standard it is. I kept hearing praise about it being different or "the only good isekai" and so on. Meanwhile everything concrete I saw/heard was just how hard Papa Bones was pwning noobs. Turns out neither depiction is accurate; there really isn't that much crushing worthless peons like grapes, but there is pretty much solid wall-to-wall wanking off on how great he is. It's really just bog-standard Mary Sue fanfiction.

Like, virtually every single scene involves people joyously exclaiming and/or Mister Skeltal demonstrating how absolutely fantabulously awesome he is. They can kinda get away with this with the Guardians at first, because there's some interesting religious/relationship stuff going on there between The Grand Creator and The Legacy Of My Friends, but even that's over the top. Then there's a campfire scene that's just a full five minutes of textbook Mary Sue "oh no how could I say that terrible thing to offend him how careless of me how will I ever make it up to him" and "amazing I'll bet this wizard pretending to be a warrior is at least as good a warrior as the best warrior in the kingdom I'm sure he's an amazing legend," from people he's just met.

The one thing I'll give it unconditional praise for is the faces. For whatever reason it's super good at super expressive facial expressions, which is visually fantastic and helps drive a lot of the humor home. It also suddenly went full 80s vampire for no reason for a single scene, which was amazing.
Irony it honestly sounds like you missed the point and got so caught up on what you perceived as wanking to notice what was actually going on. Like, did you actually, honestly, think it was just fanfiction mary sue wank? Because thats so surface level I'd almost wager you watched it on fast forward or skipped half the scenes. Its like saying Fight Club is just some dumb movie about guys punching each other.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31571 on: October 23, 2018, 12:58:14 am »

could you perchance explain what was going on that they missed because i have no intention of sitting and watching overlord but am curious why so many people like it over all other isekai
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #31572 on: October 23, 2018, 01:08:40 am »

Don't worry, it's crap and PW is just in the intended demographic, being a horrendously overpowered skeletal. Who likes bad things such as goblin slayer.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31573 on: October 23, 2018, 01:22:46 am »

Or watch Grimgar, which is isekai meets AnoHana. So a show where someone dies and they spend the entire rest of the show being depressed.

Great fight scenes in Grimgar however, really memorable and visceral combat. For real. It's worth watching just for those, if I put anyone off. The heroes are the opposite of OP, the fights feel like fights in real life, which are never pretty.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:26:49 am by Reelya »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #31574 on: October 23, 2018, 02:24:43 am »

could you perchance explain what was going on that they missed because i have no intention of sitting and watching overlord but am curious why so many people like it over all other isekai

There are a few reasons I like Overlord over other Isekais and why it feels like Irony is missing some of it.

1. One of the big problem in Isekais and many anime in general is the fact that the protags asspull powers whenever the need to. They go up against a strong enemy and then the power of friendship or whatever gives them the strength to get through. This makes them feel marysue-ish because there's no limit to their power and no limit to what they can do, they can just pull new powers and skills whenever they need it and it leads to stupid levels of escalation. Overlord begins with its characters being overwhelmingly strong but that strength stays consistent. The main character can fight just about anything with little effort but when he does face threats his power level doesn't rise out of nowhere and he wins through the use of exploiting known things as opposed to bullshit. At least thats how it feels.

2. Most Isekais focus on the overpowered protag fighting some evil force and beating them. Part of the reason they seem like fanfiction is they focus entirely on this protag and how great he is.  Meanwhile Overlord actually spends a lot of its time focused on other characters. You barely see Ainz during the entire second season, instead the story focuses on those around him and those effected by him.  Despite him being ostensibly the main character they frame the series more like a group story where he is the connecting element rather that the protagonist. And Ainz' story isn't some generic fight the evil guy thing, none of the sides in the story are depicted as just mindlessly evil (Besides maybe Clem and her necrobuddy). There's a lot of moral gray area including with Ainz. Everyone has their own motivations and desires and despite Ainz overwhelming strength there are relatively few fights with him in it.

3. There's a lot of subtle characterization on display, particularly with Ainz. For instance Irony talked about a  campfire scene.  I just rewatched it to make sure my memory of it was good and I have to say, I think he really is biased in this respect. I'll list the actual events as they take place
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The scene is roughly 7 and a half minutes long and contains about 10-15 seconds of talking about Ainz in a way that is reasonable  considering the world and the events that have happened.  Whats more we get a feeling for Ainz true motivations and desires, his regrets, and aspects of his character. And this is not done by saying them bluntly but inferred by how he acts.

4. There's a lot of political intrigue, season long master plans, secret motivations, and character deaths. The story as a whole feels more complex and thought out than your standard Isekai, with the motivations and actions of several factions and characters dynamically coming into conflict with each other for their own reasons.

And now its midnight and I feel like I'm losing coherency so I'm gonna stop. 

Pages: 1 ... 2103 2104 [2105] 2106 2107 ... 2191