Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2118 2119 [2120] 2121 2122 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763634 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31785 on: April 07, 2019, 04:19:21 am »

Spring anime just started. True to the season it's so far filled with CGDCT and harem comedies, and not much else.

Edit: Unrelatedly, I'm halfway through boogiepop preview and they just had a martial artist take down three attackers, and it's probably some of the best fighting animation I've seen in a long time. Especially considering that it's humans punching humans- I seem to be surprisingly picky about believable levels of density and impact.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 08:27:45 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31786 on: April 07, 2019, 07:57:01 am »

Otaku weebs need their seasonal incest-but-not-really-so-it's-OK show or else they'll shrivel up and die.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #31787 on: April 07, 2019, 10:12:23 am »

‘Not blood related’
Yeah
Sure
Okay bud
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31788 on: April 08, 2019, 07:17:37 pm »

Something caught my eye, if only because of how quaint it is:

Cinderella Nine about an all-girls highschool baseball team. The title springboarding off the nonexistent popularity of Princess Nine, an underrated and totally forgotten classic of 90's sports anime. I had just finished watching Princess 9 like last month, and I'm guessing this is meant to be a spiritual successor? Besides the premise and title, it doesn't even seem remotely similar.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:19:47 pm by JoshuaFH »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31789 on: April 09, 2019, 08:55:27 am »

According to Wikipedia Cindarella Nine started as an FTP mobile game. It could have been influenced by the 90s one you're talking about, but then it's been shaped by the fact that it's a mobile game adaptation: in the game, the player's avatar is of a retired baseball ace (presumably a blank slate male character) taking on the job of coaching a team of teenage baseball playing girls. So naturally, the story is going to work a certain way when that gets adapted to an anime. You'd expect this to be much more character-driven than story-driven.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 09:03:18 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31790 on: April 09, 2019, 09:10:38 am »

I'd expect the 9 to have came as much from the subject as it did from any predecessor, yeah. And the Cinderella thing just being generic (presumably) gacha shlock. It's fairly likely there's no connection to the p9 thing. The original names for both of them seem to make it pretty unlikely there is, actually.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31791 on: April 09, 2019, 05:42:13 pm »

I wanted OPM2 to be good, I really did.

But it is so goddamn shit looking and sounding I couldn't finish the first episode even. Why do this? It could've been anyone else remotely competent in the genre, was the first season so poorly recieved that they didn't have money for anyone better? I'm trying to figure out why someone would kill a series in such a shitty way and I can't.

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31792 on: April 09, 2019, 06:05:12 pm »

The studio that did the original season is busy with other projects for the near future. So the plan was to change studios and get a second season out much quicker, while the hype was still fresh.

Evidently the plan has its flaws.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31793 on: April 09, 2019, 06:29:30 pm »

The principle problem is that the director of season one is unavailable, the animation was on point, the voice acting was fine, but the cinematography and scene structure were really poor.

It was watchable, but definitely a serious step down in quality.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31794 on: April 09, 2019, 08:23:37 pm »

Dunno, Genos looked like utter shit except shinier. And the fight sounds, holy shit the fight sounds, that tearing mic overload noise is so goddam triggering ever since I dropped Fate Apocrypha because of it and it was used almost constantly in the one fight the episode had. Why bother doing anything interesting or cool if they can just reuse the same shit sounding bit of irritating noise.

And I'm fairly certain folks would've waited longer if needed to get something on the level of the first season. I know I would, instead I don't really feel like watching this season at all :S
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:25:56 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31795 on: April 09, 2019, 09:36:02 pm »

The principle problem is that the director of season one is unavailable, the animation was on point, the voice acting was fine, but the cinematography and scene structure were really poor.

It was watchable, but definitely a serious step down in quality.
I didn't watch the episode yet, but this sounds a lot like the transition from webcomic to manga also.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31796 on: April 12, 2019, 10:49:16 pm »

I just finished binging Violet Evergarden.
The first half was very low-energy, and somewhat tedious to sit through. The second half was still low-energy...but managed to effectively tug at the heartstrings with several episodes.

Overall, it really wasn't for me. Though I'm sure some other people will enjoy it. People who enjoy classy dresses and dramatic music and softly whispered thoughts and feelings...
That being said, I understand a second season is in the works. I'm hesitant to dive back in, but that cliffhanger...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31797 on: April 16, 2019, 11:46:19 pm »

I was very surprised to see that a nearby library has an almost-complete collection of "Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project," a surprisingly long manga based on a life-simulation-princess-maker-thing based on Neon Genesis Evangelion. Sadly they were missing the second volume (the whole thing's collected into five omnibuses)  so I couldn't check out the entire set. Still, it looks like a fun read if you're a massive dork like me who still likes Evangelion, or a massive brand whore like me who has to have everything even tangentially related to the source material.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31798 on: April 17, 2019, 07:14:41 am »

It might not hurt to ask the librarians about an ILL (inter-library loan) or see if they're affiliated with any nearby libraries that might have it. Just because it's not on the shelves doesn't necessarily mean they can't get it for you anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31799 on: April 17, 2019, 10:48:27 am »

I just assumed somebody else had it checked out at the moment. I can have it sent to my local library, which I'll probably do when I'm finished with the first volume.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 2118 2119 [2120] 2121 2122 ... 2191