Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2123 2124 [2125] 2126 2127 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2764080 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31860 on: June 18, 2019, 08:09:51 pm »

One Punch Man season 2 is on Hulu. Dub + Sub
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31861 on: June 18, 2019, 08:23:01 pm »

Yes. It also is apparently bad. Though I have not watched it myself.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31862 on: June 18, 2019, 08:39:59 pm »

I've enjoyed it. It's certainly not of the quality of the first season, but it's not outright bad.

I sort of felt like the first season was that perfect combination of fun that you can't really replicate on-demand, so my expectations haven't been dashed.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31863 on: June 19, 2019, 08:33:57 am »

Yeah, it doesn't seem that it's bad, just that it's not the same level of awesome that S1 was at. Though according to Mother's Basement, reading the manga is still the superior option.

Meanwhile, on Netflix, Aggretsuko season 2 is out in its entirety. I finished it, and I feel there's not as much death metal goodness, and the troubles that Retsuko has are not as starkly depressing or relatable, though that may just be that I'm not a 25 yr old woman being pressured into marriage and family life by my mother.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:38:23 am by JoshuaFH »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31864 on: June 19, 2019, 09:35:35 am »

I mean, Anime and Netflix are both fairly hit-or-miss, so...
They just brought Samurai Champloo on, so that’s a hit. Unless you mean Netflix original, in which case castlevania was a hit.
Unless you mean direct Japanese, in which case... Gargantua was okay.

Also I can mention some isekai which definitely aren’t wish fulfilment cheesefests

Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31865 on: June 19, 2019, 09:59:41 am »

It's mostly the conjuction of Isekai and light novels. For example I recently completed (damn my completionist thing) Campione, which is a light-novel based 12 episode anime. It was the most misbegotten load of overpowered wish-fulfillment battle harem crap I've seen in ages. This stuff was the main LN dreck before SAO came along. It's more about the light novel industry than about isekai as a genre. It's just that isekai found itself especially suitable to the light novel format, so the common traits of light novels got fused with the isekai idea.

The only remotely interesting thing in Campione was something that's also a common light-novel flaw: to beat the gods in the series the hero has to find out the secret behind their name, which invariably involves the hero randomly info-dumping a long passage explaining the name behind that god. The format of a fan novel / light novel seems to lend itself to lengthy insert passages in authors-voice delivering us whatever random knowledge the edgelord author thinks will impress us. See Ready Player One as a western example of that.

I think the main point with light novels being so awful as a medium is the lack of any discernable skills you need to churn out a "novel". Whereas for visual novels you need artists and programmers and for manga you need art skills and assistants to hit the release schedule. So there's a higher bar to entry in those other mediums.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 10:15:50 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31866 on: June 19, 2019, 11:32:25 am »

Oh, so light novels are actual books text-only books? I thought they were just the manga equivalent of kiosk literature.
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31867 on: June 19, 2019, 11:36:19 am »

Yeah, just think "Normal book, but worse." That's how I always pictured it.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31868 on: June 19, 2019, 11:42:28 am »

Huh, I always thought light novels were like children's books (though obviously not confined to an age demographic). Mostly text like regular novels, but with the occasional illustration. Something like the Hardy boys or the Magic treehouse. Or if those don't ring a bell, then something like Captain Underpants.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31869 on: June 19, 2019, 12:18:58 pm »

I'm riffing on Light Novels, but they're obviously OK, they're just targeted at a younger demographic and written mainly by amateur authors.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31870 on: June 19, 2019, 01:29:20 pm »

Huh, I always thought light novels were like children's books (though obviously not confined to an age demographic). Mostly text like regular novels, but with the occasional illustration. Something like the Hardy boys or the Magic treehouse. Or if those don't ring a bell, then something like Captain Underpants.
They're more like young adult novels (Harry Potter, Animorphs, that sort of thing) than children's, I reckon. The definition, technically, is less about the demographic and more about the much more limited range of kanji in use, though.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31871 on: June 19, 2019, 02:07:52 pm »

Here’s one- is grimgar fantasy or isekai?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31872 on: June 19, 2019, 03:52:01 pm »

Here’s one- is grimgar fantasy or isekai?
Well, both. Isekai is inherently fantasy. Both in the colloquial source of the latter term in nearly every instance (Low tech, magic exists) and in broader literary sense, the very isekai event that defines the genre makes it inherently fantastic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31873 on: June 19, 2019, 04:15:50 pm »

Oh, so light novels are actual books text-only books? I thought they were just the manga equivalent of kiosk literature.
Light novels are basically novellas. Probably about the same size as, like, old school pulp fiction stuff. They're generally aimed at younger adults/older teens, but like manga can vary on that front. There's a lot of crossover/interbleed with web novels/web serials, too. Quality wise it's generally stuff easier to get into and whatnot than proper length books, so, yeah, you see a lot of amateurish work.

Personally, I've seen a lot of pretty neat stuff and interesting ideas (plus they're like the only goddamn thing that will touch my apparently fetishistic appreciation of video game UI in writing. Phallic objects out for blue boxes in the middle of your paragraphs, yo'. Metaphorically, I mean.), but the general quality even for the relatively good stuff is... it's pretty shit. Intermittently appealing shit that grows on you like some kind of dung mold, but still pretty shit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31874 on: June 19, 2019, 08:15:15 pm »

There's a lot of crossover/interbleed with web novels/web serials, too.
More specifically, LNs are based (almost universally these days) on serial webnovels self published by aspiring writers who hope to get noticed and make it big.
Pages: 1 ... 2123 2124 [2125] 2126 2127 ... 2191