Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2141 2142 [2143] 2144 2145 ... 2169

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 1737535 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32130 on: June 19, 2019, 11:32:25 am »

Oh, so light novels are actual books text-only books? I thought they were just the manga equivalent of kiosk literature.
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32131 on: June 19, 2019, 11:36:19 am »

Yeah, just think "Normal book, but worse." That's how I always pictured it.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32132 on: June 19, 2019, 11:42:28 am »

Huh, I always thought light novels were like children's books (though obviously not confined to an age demographic). Mostly text like regular novels, but with the occasional illustration. Something like the Hardy boys or the Magic treehouse. Or if those don't ring a bell, then something like Captain Underpants.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32133 on: June 19, 2019, 12:18:58 pm »

I'm riffing on Light Novels, but they're obviously OK, they're just targeted at a younger demographic and written mainly by amateur authors.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32134 on: June 19, 2019, 01:29:20 pm »

Huh, I always thought light novels were like children's books (though obviously not confined to an age demographic). Mostly text like regular novels, but with the occasional illustration. Something like the Hardy boys or the Magic treehouse. Or if those don't ring a bell, then something like Captain Underpants.
They're more like young adult novels (Harry Potter, Animorphs, that sort of thing) than children's, I reckon. The definition, technically, is less about the demographic and more about the much more limited range of kanji in use, though.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Be so old that people find intolerance charming
    • View Profile
« Reply #32135 on: June 19, 2019, 02:07:52 pm »

Here’s one- is grimgar fantasy or isekai?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Bay 12 Blood Bowl I apparently host now.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32136 on: June 19, 2019, 03:52:01 pm »

Here’s one- is grimgar fantasy or isekai?
Well, both. Isekai is inherently fantasy. Both in the colloquial source of the latter term in nearly every instance (Low tech, magic exists) and in broader literary sense, the very isekai event that defines the genre makes it inherently fantastic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32137 on: June 19, 2019, 04:15:50 pm »

Oh, so light novels are actual books text-only books? I thought they were just the manga equivalent of kiosk literature.
Light novels are basically novellas. Probably about the same size as, like, old school pulp fiction stuff. They're generally aimed at younger adults/older teens, but like manga can vary on that front. There's a lot of crossover/interbleed with web novels/web serials, too. Quality wise it's generally stuff easier to get into and whatnot than proper length books, so, yeah, you see a lot of amateurish work.

Personally, I've seen a lot of pretty neat stuff and interesting ideas (plus they're like the only goddamn thing that will touch my apparently fetishistic appreciation of video game UI in writing. Phallic objects out for blue boxes in the middle of your paragraphs, yo'. Metaphorically, I mean.), but the general quality even for the relatively good stuff is... it's pretty shit. Intermittently appealing shit that grows on you like some kind of dung mold, but still pretty shit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32138 on: June 19, 2019, 08:15:15 pm »

There's a lot of crossover/interbleed with web novels/web serials, too.
More specifically, LNs are based (almost universally these days) on serial webnovels self published by aspiring writers who hope to get noticed and make it big.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32139 on: June 20, 2019, 07:28:56 am »

My post got eaten by the internet so I'll just post this little query for you to argue about: is Harry Potter Isekai?
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32140 on: June 20, 2019, 08:09:59 am »

Probably not, because Hogwarts is inside the real world and you can enter and leave it at will. If Hogwarts was isekai, then a series about boarding school or going to prison would be isekai.

Almost anything could be called isekai then. If you consider the Joseph Campbell Hero's Journey stuff, then you have the "ordinary world" of the characters then they enter the "special world" where they have to learn the rules that apply to them, then at the end they emerge back to the "ordinary world". This is one of the most common overall plot structures. A good example is The Shire in Lord of the Rings. The Shire is the default "ordinary world" of the Hobbits, and everything else in Middle Earth is the Special World. If we start saying that Hogwarts is isekai because Hogwarts is a hidden location in the real world, then what about for example, Skull Island in the King Kong movies? There are plot elements of isekai that of course are the same as any other "fish out of water" story, but that goes as much for, for example, "Beverley Hills Cop" or Jackie Chan going to the wild west in Shanghai Noon as it does for any isekai.

Yeah, so Harry Potter isn't isekai because a school isn't a world, no matter how much magic there is. And otherwise, isekai would also be so broad as to be useless as as description. It's best that isekai is reserved for describing people transported to alternate dimensions/worlds.

If there are any grey areas / edge-cases, i'd be inclined to pick ones like Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars / Barsoom novels, and the type of ones with a hollow earth and entire races / nations down there that don't connect with the surface.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:26:43 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32141 on: June 20, 2019, 08:54:11 am »

Uh, yeah, HP is explicitly not isekai. The concept/genre is based on someone getting transported to another world/dimension (the word itself more or less literally means 'different world'), usually (though not always) with no way back and without much in the way of consent or warning. Hidden societies and whatnot just don't fall under its umbrella. Hollow earth stuff would probably be close-ish, but generally if it's on the same planet (or you used common infrastructure to get to another one) it just doesn't count.

If you were looking for more western or classic examples that could slot into the concept, well... the wiki page on the subject has some good ones. The Wizard of Oz probably counts, ferex :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #32142 on: June 20, 2019, 06:17:40 pm »

By that logic nearly every cultivation novel is a multiple-iteration isekai, which sounds remarkably fitting in terms of quality connotations.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32143 on: June 20, 2019, 06:28:51 pm »

You know, in My Hero Academia, its said that Deku's quirk is a lot like All-Mights. Except, how is this case?
Does All-Might appear to glow when he uses his power? No.
Does his power hurt himself? No.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Always Been
    • View Profile
« Reply #32144 on: June 20, 2019, 06:30:53 pm »

Someone should rewrite Alice in Wonderland but with isekai tropes.
Since its abandonment, creatures have been known to create entrance to MaintLayer for purpose of shelter and ambush. Should you find yourself MaintLayer, ab̴a̴ndoǹ h͡ópę
Pages: 1 ... 2141 2142 [2143] 2144 2145 ... 2169