Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2125 2126 [2127] 2128 2129 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2762827 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31890 on: June 21, 2019, 01:04:13 pm »

I reckon it is cause All Might has full mastery of the quirk.

At that time in the series, very very few people know that Deku's 'quirk out of nowhere' is actually passed down from All Might. 
Many would assume he is some kind of late-bloomer.

As for why some people connect the dots, I assume it's the raw power of his fingerflicks being observed to be as powerful as All Mights punches.  Or just anime logic out of nowhere to insinuate that the in-universe people are figuring out what is up.
A more accurate thing would be seeing Deku as... A pure hero like All Might.  Passion, zeal, and compassion.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #31891 on: June 22, 2019, 03:04:21 am »

All Might was explicitly said by Gran Torino to just have a natural flair for it. The exact specifics of that are currently unknown.

I remember watching an entertaining Game Theory episode where All Might was theorised to have a hidden quirk that allows him to grow his muscles on command, hence his "muscle form". More muscle, equals more body mass to distribute the force of One For All across. No injuries.

Obviously the theory is rather far fetched, but the general idea that Toshinori was always physically stronger or had more potential to build muscle and strength than Deku goes a long way in explaining why All Might never got hurt using One For All, even when training with it.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31892 on: June 22, 2019, 03:06:25 am »

New recommendation for comedy anime.

Uchuu Senkan Tiramisu (Space Battleship Tiramisu) which a parody of Gundam/Macross/Yamato type series

I've only seen this first episode and it's one of those 7-minute ones. A lot of people didn't like the first episode however and said it gets better later. However, I guess comedy is subjective. I thought this  was hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-wl5HhRr1I
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 03:24:48 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31893 on: June 22, 2019, 06:46:52 pm »

Forgive my ignorance, what's a cultivation novel?
2,500+ chapters about slapping faces, sneering, and the author's chronic inability to decide how anything in the metaphysics actually works.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31894 on: June 22, 2019, 06:54:58 pm »

A miserable pile of paper and indecisiveness!
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31895 on: June 22, 2019, 10:19:25 pm »

2,500+ chapters about slapping faces, sneering, and the author's chronic inability to decide how anything in the metaphysics actually works.
That's the stereotype, but there's xuanhuan that isn't anything like that. Lord of Mysteries or City of Sin, for example.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31896 on: June 23, 2019, 07:37:24 am »

That's the stereotype, but there's xuanhuan that isn't anything like that. Lord of Mysteries or City of Sin, for example.
Or Ze Tian Ji. When I nitpick stuff, it's usually because I care enough to think about it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31897 on: June 23, 2019, 11:26:43 am »

Or Ze Tian Ji. When I nitpick stuff, it's usually because I care enough to think about it.
I mean, you'd be hard pressed to find xianxia that isn't exactly what you described. That's a genre that's pretty thoroughly characterized by adherence to formula. Or in technical terms, it's up its own ass.

Also I took that Ze Tian Ji comment as an endorsement but it looks like the translation stalled years ago with less than two hundred chapters. Oh well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31898 on: June 24, 2019, 05:00:25 pm »

I mean, you'd be hard pressed to find xianxia that isn't exactly what you described. That's a genre that's pretty thoroughly characterized by adherence to formula. Or in technical terms, it's up its own ass.

Also I took that Ze Tian Ji comment as an endorsement but it looks like the translation stalled years ago with less than two hundred chapters. Oh well.

The translation is finished. It's also up under the name "Way of Choices". Here is one site that has the full 1183 chapters + afterword up in a decent format.

Incidentally boxnovel is probably the best site right now for CN/JP/KR web novels since so much is being shat on by those Qidan International assholes.

3. Run Resize Enable

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31899 on: June 24, 2019, 06:08:56 pm »

A miserable pile of paper and indecisiveness!

I got it
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31900 on: June 24, 2019, 11:06:49 pm »

The translation is finished. It's also up under the name "Way of Choices". Here is one site that has the full 1183 chapters + afterword up in a decent format.

Incidentally boxnovel is probably the best site right now for CN/JP/KR web novels since so much is being shat on by those Qidan International assholes.
Oh, I was looking on novelupdates but I guess just nobody updated novelupdates.

To be fair to Qidian, they are the ones actually funding the translations, and boxnovel usually just mirrors what QI pays for. I would be content to support them despite their decidedly capitalistic tendencies if not for the fact that their website is utter ass on mobile.
I think the best for Chinese and Korean is wuxiaworld, since they not only do their own translations but also ensure a certain level of quality. Japanese translations are still spread individually across loads of different people's personal blogs, or at most groups of only a few people. I ascribe that to economics; a Chinese translator can make a middle class wage off of the kind of money that westerners are happy to commit to a patreon, and there are people in Korea of similar economic status, but Japanese translation can only exceed the income of a hobby project for someone who really breaks out – and even then, only barely.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31901 on: June 25, 2019, 05:52:45 am »

Oh, I was looking on novelupdates but I guess just nobody updated novelupdates.

To be fair to Qidian, they are the ones actually funding the translations, and boxnovel usually just mirrors what QI pays for. I would be content to support them despite their decidedly capitalistic tendencies if not for the fact that their website is utter ass on mobile.
I think the best for Chinese and Korean is wuxiaworld, since they not only do their own translations but also ensure a certain level of quality. Japanese translations are still spread individually across loads of different people's personal blogs, or at most groups of only a few people. I ascribe that to economics; a Chinese translator can make a middle class wage off of the kind of money that westerners are happy to commit to a patreon, and there are people in Korea of similar economic status, but Japanese translation can only exceed the income of a hobby project for someone who really breaks out – and even then, only barely.

I was okay with it when it was just holding chapters for a week or so to get some people to pay for early access. When they started making popular novels wholly premium-access and banking hundreds of chapters behind the paywall for months I lost patience. When I found out they were also doing shit like stealing and reposting English originals from sites like RR with a paywall on them, I lost whatever remaining sympathy I might have had. I'm pretty sure they've also C&Ded legitimate third-party fanlations of a lot of stuff.

They're the worst sort of predatory monopoly.

WW isn't bad.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31902 on: June 25, 2019, 08:00:27 am »

Why do in-universe people say that the two powers are similar?
As far as I can recall he basically spelled it out for Bakuhatsu, but I can’t remember the others.

"muscle form".
If he had it, wouldn’t he pass it?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31903 on: June 25, 2019, 08:48:15 am »

In general, and I must admit my memory is very fussy, but my feeling of how I remember it going is that while the kids doesn't seem to notice anything several adults have at least recognised a similarity, even if they don't draw any further conclusions. I seem to remember Mightymight even speaking about it with someone at some point, but I might be mixing who it was with up with one of the few peoples who are in on how the power works.

In related news, I recently got told many of the characters names are puns of sorts. It's s shame they don't translate well.

As for anime in general, I've been sort of binging on Attack on Titan recently (yes, I know, give hundred years after everybody else stopped talking about it, as usual). I like it so far.

I'm not particularly fond of how it handles side characters though. I mean, it's clear from the start that it wants to be a "no character is safe!" kind of show, so I went in thinking it would be. But it still feels like there is this huge gap-of-risk between the "core characters" (not just the main characters but the most prominent supportive cast too) and everybody else. And it sort of ruins the suspense when you know that there's no chance at all that any of the newest characters introduced is going to last long at all because the show still wants to kill off *actual* characters, not just unknown faces. I'm a bit into season 2 now and if I remember correctly I don't think a single non-core character introduced is still alive at this point, while only two characters who I felt belonged in the "core" has died.

I do think that in an episode or two that's going to be three, though (it's been stacking up the implication-by-narrative-convention pretty heavily against one guy, so I have strong feelings he's going to due, but likely in a heroic sacrifice or something), so two is not entirely fair. But still.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31904 on: June 25, 2019, 09:07:46 am »

Blech.

At the request of one of my co-workers kids, I pulled the complete (to date) One Piece collection. 

I must say, this series is the longest running deus ex machina I have ever bore witness to.
Pages: 1 ... 2125 2126 [2127] 2128 2129 ... 2191