Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2142 2143 [2144] 2145 2146 ... 2169

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 1753813 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Be so old that people find intolerance charming
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32145 on: June 20, 2019, 06:31:10 pm »

The glowing is for our benefit. The injury is because he hasnít toughened up to the power enough yet.

Also, Alice as an isekai is worrying.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Bay 12 Blood Bowl I apparently host now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32146 on: June 20, 2019, 08:18:46 pm »

I'm like 80% sure there's multiple "reincarnated/transported into wonderland" stories out there, really. Can't recall if I've seen one done raw isekai style, but...

By that logic nearly every cultivation novel is a multiple-iteration isekai, which sounds remarkably fitting in terms of quality connotations.
Lots of cultivation novels are definitely isekai, yeah, inasmuch as the term can be applied generally to begin with. I wouldn't say nearly every one, but plenty are.

... that said, the general morass of cultivation novels largely share general quality level with isekai even when there's not fairly explicit overlap otherwise. If I've noticed a broad brush difference between the two, it's that, perhaps terrifyingly, isekai tends to have more ethical main characters doing less heinous things less regularly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Rain Eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #32147 on: June 20, 2019, 08:35:30 pm »

Forgive my ignorance, what's a cultivation novel?
when will you learn that your actions have consequences

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32148 on: June 20, 2019, 08:39:26 pm »

A novel centering around the cultivation of qi in order to become much more powerful and, eventually, immortal. It's a classic element of xianxia, and since xuanhuan is basically a mix of xianxia and western genres it's also common in that.

EDIT: Here's a deep and insightful comparison between that and the Japanese LNs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:50:43 pm by Cruxador »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32149 on: June 20, 2019, 08:53:38 pm »

It's not necessarily Qi and the immortality bit is fairly conditional, but yeah, more or less. Think MMORPG scaling mechanics as a core plot point without necessarily having an explicit system... with more or less exactly what that means vis a vis the MC (and others) level of power. Gather power units, level up, gather more power units. Cultivate your whatever until you can break mountains and kill gods. Probably commit genocide at some point or another, or at least murder lots of people and steal their stuff.

I read more than is probably healthy (because holy shit the main characters tend to be some variety of scum), mostly because they're one of the few bits of fiction where people fairly regularly bludgeon each other with parts of the landscape. If you ever see me mention punch magic or fooxia, it's probably a reference to this stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32150 on: June 20, 2019, 09:14:38 pm »

You know, in My Hero Academia, its said that Deku's quirk is a lot like All-Mights. Except, how is this case?
Does All-Might appear to glow when he uses his power? No.
Does his power hurt himself? No.
All-Might literally passes on his quirk to Deku.
Deku is still a young teen.  Sure, he is physically fit by the time he attain's All-Might's powers, but that is just the very minimal requirement to attaining the power. 
Deku does not have the benefit of growing into All-Might's quirk, as other teens of his age had with their own quirks.  Deku also has the issue of handling a quirk which is basically the epitome of raw power in the My Hero Academia universe.  Deku hurts himself because he can't properly control this immense new power, all his attacks are at 100% power.  It becomes less of an issue as the series progresses/Deku grows and learns.

The glowing is more creative license of animators, rather then... canon.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32151 on: June 20, 2019, 11:29:04 pm »

It's also possible that the way One For All is expressed is different, depending on the user. I don't think Nana Shimura was shown ever using the power, so we can't be sure everybody else used the power like All Might. No reason to think Deku is just this weird electric green outlier.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32152 on: June 21, 2019, 02:43:53 am »

There's also just the matter that One For All increases in strength as it is used and cultivated by its holder. So Deku has a stronger version of it than All Might had, in addition to having a weaker body that can't handle it. It logically progresses that if the quirk continues to be passed down, it'll eventually just become a worthless quirk that is way too fucking strong for anyone to use it, killing the holder on any usage whatsoever; though at that point it'd probably only ever fall into the hands of people who have an additional quirk of amazing personal durability or self-healing or somesuch.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32153 on: June 21, 2019, 11:38:40 am »

You are somehow missing my point, Zangi.
I am not asking why it hurts Deku.
I am asking why in-universe people say that the two powers are similar.
True, we have always known the reason that it hurt Deku.
However, it doesn't hurt All Might. That was my point. To people in-story, that would be quite a difference.
They don't know the reasons why it hurts Deku (or at least at the time. I am not up to date).
I guess the glowing lines being non-canon means I only have the slightest of legs to stand on until he gets extra non-All Might-like power.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:40:21 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32154 on: June 21, 2019, 01:04:13 pm »

I reckon it is cause All Might has full mastery of the quirk.

At that time in the series, very very few people know that Deku's 'quirk out of nowhere' is actually passed down from All Might. 
Many would assume he is some kind of late-bloomer.

As for why some people connect the dots, I assume it's the raw power of his fingerflicks being observed to be as powerful as All Mights punches.  Or just anime logic out of nowhere to insinuate that the in-universe people are figuring out what is up.
A more accurate thing would be seeing Deku as... A pure hero like All Might.  Passion, zeal, and compassion.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32155 on: June 22, 2019, 03:04:21 am »

All Might was explicitly said by Gran Torino to just have a natural flair for it. The exact specifics of that are currently unknown.

I remember watching an entertaining Game Theory episode where All Might was theorised to have a hidden quirk that allows him to grow his muscles on command, hence his "muscle form". More muscle, equals more body mass to distribute the force of One For All across. No injuries.

Obviously the theory is rather far fetched, but the general idea that Toshinori was always physically stronger or had more potential to build muscle and strength than Deku goes a long way in explaining why All Might never got hurt using One For All, even when training with it.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32156 on: June 22, 2019, 03:06:25 am »

New recommendation for comedy anime.

Uchuu Senkan Tiramisu (Space Battleship Tiramisu) which a parody of Gundam/Macross/Yamato type series

I've only seen this first episode and it's one of those 7-minute ones. A lot of people didn't like the first episode however and said it gets better later. However, I guess comedy is subjective. I thought this  was hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-wl5HhRr1I
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 03:24:48 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #32157 on: June 22, 2019, 06:46:52 pm »

2,500+ chapters about slapping faces, sneering, and the author's chronic inability to decide how anything in the metaphysics actually works.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32158 on: June 22, 2019, 06:54:58 pm »

A miserable pile of paper and indecisiveness!
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32159 on: June 22, 2019, 10:19:25 pm »

2,500+ chapters about slapping faces, sneering, and the author's chronic inability to decide how anything in the metaphysics actually works.
That's the stereotype, but there's xuanhuan that isn't anything like that. Lord of Mysteries or City of Sin, for example.
Pages: 1 ... 2142 2143 [2144] 2145 2146 ... 2169