Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2133 2134 [2135] 2136 2137 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763978 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32010 on: August 03, 2019, 01:54:49 pm »

That's a really, really weird translation. I can sort of understand why they'd do it, but at the same time...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32011 on: August 03, 2019, 11:25:30 pm »

I assume the translator must be from some place or some family where that's not totally bizarre. But yeah, for me that refers to a man with particular tastes.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32012 on: August 04, 2019, 01:21:14 am »

Same. That's... Really, really bizarre as a translation.

I mean, "Sama" is supposed to denote respect, while "sissy", in every context I've ever heard it... Doesn't carry any respect in it at all.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32013 on: August 04, 2019, 02:05:25 am »

English does not have an honorific for use with older siblings, like it does between "Dad" and "Father", where the latter has more implied honorific, and less "familial only" implication.

We dont go "Older sister, will you help me?"  We go "Hey sis, will you help me?" or worse (From a japanese perspective) we use a first name, "Hey [name of sister], will you help me?"

As such, the use of onee-sama is lost to English speakers. Likewise would be "imouto".  The closest we have is "onee-san", "sister".

Regardless, "sissy" is not the right word to use. That would be more appropriate a replacement for imouto, not onee-sama, nor onee-san.  "sis" would be OK for onee-san, but not for onee-sama. English lacks an appropriate term. We would instead use the first name when addressing such persons.

---

But my own translation WTF came from seeing the translation subtitles for Kiki's delivery service.  Early in the movie, just after she moves into the bakery, she tells her cat Jiji that unless they want to eat pancakes all the time they need to get work. Jiji mentions that he likes pancakes-- and this is where the translation gets odd;  The actual dialog spoken says something to the effect of "Not everyday, everyday, everyday!" while the translated text says "I'll get fat, fat, fat!" (and the dialog was changed in the english dub to reflect the translation)

That happened several years ago, but it stuck with me.  How do they get "fat" (debu) out of "everyday" (mainichi) ?? The world may never know.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 02:30:41 am by wierd »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32014 on: August 04, 2019, 03:31:01 am »

English does not have an honorific for use with older siblings, like it does between "Dad" and "Father", where the latter has more implied honorific, and less "familial only" implication.

We dont go "Older sister, will you help me?"  We go "Hey sis, will you help me?" or worse (From a japanese perspective) we use a first name, "Hey [name of sister], will you help me?"

As such, the use of onee-sama is lost to English speakers. Likewise would be "imouto".  The closest we have is "onee-san", "sister".

Regardless, "sissy" is not the right word to use. That would be more appropriate a replacement for imouto, not onee-sama, nor onee-san.  "sis" would be OK for onee-san, but not for onee-sama. English lacks an appropriate term. We would instead use the first name when addressing such persons.
Right, so the appropriate sub would be to use the character's name, since that makes sense in the English context. Since it can't be translated, let those who want the absolute most faithful version and would understand the untranslated version simply follow along by using their ears. The honorifics can rarely be conveyed, so just let it be aside from where it's reasonably possible to do otherwise.

But my own translation WTF came from seeing the translation subtitles for Kiki's delivery service.  Early in the movie, just after she moves into the bakery, she tells her cat Jiji that unless they want to eat pancakes all the time they need to get work. Jiji mentions that he likes pancakes-- and this is where the translation gets odd;  The actual dialog spoken says something to the effect of "Not everyday, everyday, everyday!" while the translated text says "I'll get fat, fat, fat!" (and the dialog was changed in the english dub to reflect the translation)

That happened several years ago, but it stuck with me.  How do they get "fat" (debu) out of "everyday" (mainichi) ?? The world may never know.
They were intentionally localizing rather than merely translating. Which can be fine for some audiences. It makes sense in a dub, but less so in a sub in my opinion; it's making assumptions of the preferences of your viewers and someone who goes for sub is more likely to want a faithful rendition.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32015 on: August 04, 2019, 04:10:56 am »

I'll just mention my favorite mis-translation again. A car racing OVA from the late 1980s, a wealthy girl called Josephine Polniac. The subbers decide her name must be Josephine Polly Nyack, of the illustrious Nyack family.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 04:15:19 am by Reelya »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32016 on: August 04, 2019, 01:50:44 pm »

I’m personally a proponent of partial translation. Just leave it as onee-sama. We have google.
If that’s not feasible, “honoured sister” or “dear sister” works. I particularly like ‘my dear sister’ because it fits with the stalker vibe.

But yeah. Sissy is just terrible.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32017 on: August 04, 2019, 03:36:10 pm »

I’m personally a proponent of partial translation. Just leave it as onee-sama. We have google.
We also have ears. Unless you're deaf or regularly watch without sound for whatever reason (in which case you're missing out, sound direction is one area where anime is worlds ahead of anything in the west on an even remotely comparable budget) there's no need for anything untranslated to be in subs.
On this, I believe, we are all agreed.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32018 on: August 04, 2019, 04:22:27 pm »

If that’s not feasible, “honoured sister” or “dear sister” works. I particularly like ‘my dear sister’ because it fits with the stalker vibe.

I like "Honoured Sister" as well, especially since it keeps the pompousness of the -Sama. Exaggerated a bit, but perfect translations are rare.

Onee-san I think I would translate as just "sister", elder optional. Onee or Nee would be "sis".
Sissy is right out.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32019 on: August 05, 2019, 01:45:48 am »

I'm really enjoying the Kengan Asura anime so far. The CGI honestly doesn't bother me, the fight scenes so far have been very visually dynamic and engaging, the voice acting is pretty damn good. Loving the manga as much as I do, I'm hoping that the series continues till the end without dropping in quality.

Also, of COURSE Kiryu Setsuna's voiced by the same voice actor as Hisoka from HunterxHunter. It's the same fucking character motivation, now that I think about it.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32020 on: August 05, 2019, 02:12:15 am »

I'm really enjoying the Kengan Asura anime so far. The CGI honestly doesn't bother me, the fight scenes so far have been very visually dynamic and engaging, the voice acting is pretty damn good. Loving the manga as much as I do, I'm hoping that the series continues till the end without dropping in quality.

Also, of COURSE Kiryu Setsuna's voiced by the same voice actor as Hisoka from HunterxHunter. It's the same fucking character motivation, now that I think about it.

I actually just finished the 12 episodes on Netflix and wanted to gush about it. Basically, it's Baki! It's just Baki. The art style is like if Keisuke Itagaki did 3D models. The main character is even very similar to Baki, one of the first people he fights is a Russian Kickboxer (in Baki, it was a Mongolian Boxer, so very similar), then the next guy advertises his "vice-like grip" (though he's nothing like Hanayama otherwise), and the similarities only rack up from there. I'm not complaining, I love this shit, pour it on my face Kengan Ashura; because the Baki manga is updating too slowly for my taste.

I'm hoping that the show updates soon, ending right in the middle of the first round of the tournament arc (another old shonen trope that I love) just makes me crave more. The plot is going at breakneck speed, but there seems to be a lot more story, and many more character to add to what promises to be a very impressively large roster of fighters, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how it develops, and if it develops its own personality or if it is content living in the shadow of Baki as a very good imitator.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32021 on: August 05, 2019, 05:25:02 am »

I like "Honoured Sister" as well, especially since it keeps the pompousness of the -Sama. Exaggerated a bit, but perfect translations are rare.

Onee-san I think I would translate as just "sister", elder optional. Onee or Nee would be "sis".
Sissy is right out.

What about Most Beloved Sister?
Love, scriver~

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32022 on: August 05, 2019, 05:36:32 am »

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it develops, and if it develops its own personality or if it is content living in the shadow of Baki as a very good imitator.

As somebody who's finished the manga, it's better than Baki. The only thing Baki's got going for it is the father-son relationship with Baki and Yujiro, a greater sense of wackiness and more epic scale in the strength of its martial artists.

Kengan Asura is so much more well EXECUTED in terms of a martial arts world. And it absolutely
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32023 on: August 05, 2019, 01:20:14 pm »

That's what I'm concerned about, that it's not as wacky as Baki. Baki just has an enormous number of very memorable moments stemming from how weird its unafraid to be; whereas with KA I'm afraid that its so concerned with bustling from fight to fight to fight that nothing ever gets a chance to stand out in the viewers' mind as being special or extraordinary. It runs the risk of being "Yeah that was a pretty good battle anime I guess." and I'll maybe forget everything but the most important bits; whereas with Baki there's scenes that are easy to remember and remain in my memory just because of how off-the-wall and unexpected and fun they are, and this extends even to relatively unimportant scenes.

Of course, I'm not casting judgment on KA just yet, I need to know how the rest of the story pans out first!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32024 on: August 05, 2019, 03:12:58 pm »

There's no need for anything untranslated to be in subs.
... ?
I don't speak Japanese well enough.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 03:19:16 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 2133 2134 [2135] 2136 2137 ... 2191