Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2136 2137 [2138] 2139 2140 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2762847 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32055 on: August 17, 2019, 10:39:40 am »

I asked this question about this time four years ago and got some good answers. I'm looking for a decent anime of a quality on par with FMA:Brotherhood, Psychopass, or Baccano! (or decent non-anime, like Avatar: the Last Airbender). I don't care about anime qua-anime, I just like decent high concept TV series and I don't mind if they're animated. The sort of thing I'm looking for:

- Not too long (less than 80 episodes)
- An exploration of an intriguing idea or deep theme
- Multi-faceted characters
- A series-arc where things tie together (i.e. strong structure, minimal filler)
- No (or minimal) fan service

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32056 on: August 17, 2019, 10:49:23 am »

On Crunchyroll, I'm into Demon Slayer: Kimetsu No Yaiba right now. Give that a go, though it may not pass your par for 'intriguing' or 'deep', those seem like debatable standards.

On Netflix, there's Devilman Crybaby. That one is... a lot more intense. It would definitely fulfill the second and third condition you laid out.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32057 on: August 17, 2019, 10:54:47 am »

Better than that, it's literally Hello Kitty gets transported into the Gundam 79 tv show and has to help Amuro Ray

Yeah like, I don't even need subtitles. I'll just watch it like it is there, with no understanding aside from Hello Kitty is about to shrek that Char guy with her bare paws. Probably while set to Japanese disco.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32058 on: August 17, 2019, 11:02:43 am »

On Crunchyroll, I'm into Demon Slayer: Kimetsu No Yaiba right now. Give that a go, though it may not pass your par for 'intriguing' or 'deep', those seem like debatable standards.

On Netflix, there's Devilman Crybaby. That one is... a lot more intense. It would definitely fulfill the second and third condition you laid out.
Thanks, I'll check these out.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32059 on: August 17, 2019, 11:50:00 am »

Am I like the only one who actually enjoyed that Castlevania Netflix series from a while back? I feel like that's the case.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32060 on: August 17, 2019, 11:56:35 am »

I've heard mostly good things about it. Haven't seen it personally, but that's more because I don't have Netflix.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32061 on: August 17, 2019, 12:15:06 pm »

Am I like the only one who actually enjoyed that Castlevania Netflix series from a while back? I feel like that's the case.
I don't know what you're talking about. Didn't it get universally good reviews? I doubt you're the only one who enjoyed it.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32062 on: August 17, 2019, 12:33:46 pm »

- A series-arc where things tie together (i.e. strong structure, minimal filler)
There’s some classics or top 10’s you could check out if you haven’t seen them yet.

Death note
Code Geass
Haruhi Suzumiya

Also Durarara is great if you liked Baccano, Berserk is a good pick if Devilman Crybaby doesn’t make you retch, and I personally have a soft spot for subversions like One Punch Man or Nozaki-kun. Overlord should fit in that category but it started getting a bit weird for me, and the fanservice is huge.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:43:47 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32063 on: August 17, 2019, 12:55:14 pm »

I don't know what you're talking about. Didn't it get universally good reviews? I doubt you're the only one who enjoyed it.

See that's what I thought. Everyone I talk to about it though is like mehhhhhhhh I hated the character so and so or the animation was bad mehh. Probably just bad luck on my part then.

I fukkin' cried at the end of season 2 because my toddler was in the other room napping. I needed tissues.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32064 on: August 17, 2019, 01:40:55 pm »

There’s some classics or top 10’s you could check out if you haven’t seen them yet.

Death note
Code Geass
Haruhi Suzumiya

Also Durarara is great if you liked Baccano, Berserk is a good pick if Devilman Crybaby doesn’t make you retch, and I personally have a soft spot for subversions like One Punch Man or Nozaki-kun. Overlord should fit in that category but it started getting a bit weird for me, and the fanservice is huge.
Thanks, I really enjoyed Death Note, though the second half was less coherent and pacey after [spoiler] dies. Haruhi has been sort of on my radar. I started watching Durarara and got sidetracked. I'll have to give them both another go. One Punch I watched the first two episodes and didn't really gel with it enough to want to watch more.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32065 on: August 17, 2019, 05:55:27 pm »

Thanks, I'll check these out.
Seconding KnY/Blade of Demon Destruction. It's not incredibly deep, but it's quality.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32066 on: August 17, 2019, 10:41:17 pm »

Please get into Ergo Proxxy! It takes 5 episodes to get interesting in my opinion, but out of all the works that tackle existential themes, this is the best one I've ever come across (Suck it The Stranger! Suck it Rick and Morty! You may be fun, but you aren't as deep as you think you are).

Though there are many reasons to like the show, I think the main one is basically this: Unlike most existential works that try to make you feel despair upon realizing that the world has no meaning, Ergo proxxy instead does the reverse. It gives you a dead world that truly does have no meaning and teaches you how to find the beauty in it. It's the perfect anime to watch whenever you feel dead inside, when you stop looking towards the future and instead just focus on getting through the current day. To put it a different way, it's a very "introverted" work (if that means anything to you).

Sorry for being so vague in my description. I'm not the best at this and I didn't think sharing spoilers would help sell the show much.

If you do decide to watch the show though, my advice would be not to binge it (except maybe the beginning). I'd recommend just watching an episode or two at night as you relax after a long work day. You're not in a rush to finish it. I found a therapeutic quality in watching that I don't think should be wasted.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:45:37 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32067 on: August 18, 2019, 12:53:37 am »

I asked this question about this time four years ago and got some good answers. I'm looking for a decent anime of a quality on par with FMA:Brotherhood, Psychopass, or Baccano! (or decent non-anime, like Avatar: the Last Airbender). I don't care about anime qua-anime, I just like decent high concept TV series and I don't mind if they're animated. The sort of thing I'm looking for:

Ok.

Shinsekai Yori

The Tatami Galaxy
Made in Abyss
Also
Steins;Gate

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32068 on: August 18, 2019, 03:31:45 am »

One Punch I watched the first two episodes and didn't really gel with it enough to want to watch more.
Two episodes means you watched him bitchslap a mosquito across three buildings so really that's probably peak OPM. If it doesn't pull you, I wouldn't try harder.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32069 on: August 18, 2019, 08:54:28 am »

I'd also reccomend the Fate series, there's a whole lot of them but each is pretty much a self-contained story. Start with Stay/Night or Unlimited Bladeworks if you want something way way prettier but of the same caliber in terms of story/characters.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 2136 2137 [2138] 2139 2140 ... 2191