Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2138 2139 [2140] 2141 2142 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2762906 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32085 on: August 20, 2019, 05:33:33 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_WarhUuR0E
I don't really know the series, did they play games in the actual anime?
Only against this villain.
OH
THATS
A BASEBALL!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32086 on: August 20, 2019, 05:50:45 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_WarhUuR0E
I don't really know the series, did they play games in the actual anime?
It wasn't smash, obviously enough, but yes. Apparently poker against the critter's brother, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32087 on: August 21, 2019, 08:25:43 pm »

I picked up Machikado Mazoku today, and I gotta say I'm rather liking it. Episodes 2 through 5 are mostly slice of life but episode 6 advances the plot and tomorrow episode 7, based the preview, will too. It's definitely paced for the seinen demographic, but it's cute and fun and seems slightly deeper than what you'd typically expect in an anime about cute girls from J.C. Staff. It definitely has lots of background details to notice, which is always nice and shows that the staff care about the project.

I don't think it's a good analogy really. Yuki Yuna is more like a cross between one of those "four cute schoolgirls after-school club" animes and Madoka. Sure, Yuki Yuna has some wacky battle scenes (psychidelic stuff done in CGI) but it's actually less wacky than the animation in Madoka. Madoka is in fact more "TTGL" than Yuki Yuna, hands down. Personally, I'd call Yuki Yuna the "poor man's Madoka". There's a reason Yuki Yuna isn't in fact all that well-known (note that Madoka has 8.3 on IMDB vs 6.6 for Yuki Yuna. It's not a "TTGL version" of Madoka, it's just a much worse version).

These shows really aren't "TTGL-like" at all. Madoka is Sailor Moon meets the bleak existentialism of Evangelion, and Yuki Yuna is effectively the same thing, but from more of a "schoolgirl quartet" sort of setting. They don't have the escalation or rule of cool element of TTGL or similar.

If you want anything like "magical girls meets Gurren Lagann", you really need to just go for Symphogear.

To give you an idea, in Symphogear
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't think YuYuYu is worse necessarily, but it's subtler. And if you go into it knowing what it is, it's not as good as if you don't – but that's part of why it was a sleeper when it was airing, and hardly anybody was watching it until like episode six.

That, and PMMM was first, and the Urobuchi over the top direction (and especially his excellent sound direction) really helped it. I thought the pace and tone progression of YuYuYu was better of the two though.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32088 on: August 22, 2019, 12:29:53 pm »

I don't think it's a good analogy really. Yuki Yuna is more like a cross between one of those "four cute schoolgirls after-school club" animes and Madoka. Sure, Yuki Yuna has some wacky battle scenes (psychidelic stuff done in CGI) but it's actually less wacky than the animation in Madoka. Madoka is in fact more "TTGL" than Yuki Yuna, hands down. Personally, I'd call Yuki Yuna the "poor man's Madoka". There's a reason Yuki Yuna isn't in fact all that well-known (note that Madoka has 8.3 on IMDB vs 6.6 for Yuki Yuna. It's not a "TTGL version" of Madoka, it's just a much worse version).

These shows really aren't "TTGL-like" at all. Madoka is Sailor Moon meets the bleak existentialism of Evangelion, and Yuki Yuna is effectively the same thing, but from more of a "schoolgirl quartet" sort of setting. They don't have the escalation or rule of cool element of TTGL or similar.

If you want anything like "magical girls meets Gurren Lagann", you really need to just go for Symphogear.

To give you an idea, in Symphogear
Nope. Yuyuyu is absolutely the TGGL to Madoka, because it's not about the animation style being "wacky".

It's about Yuyuyu being much, much less bleak in tone, it's about Yuyuyu delivering the message of "Determination and Willpower overcome incredible odds" much better than Madoka. It's about Yuyuyu being much bigger in scale than Madoka.

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32089 on: August 23, 2019, 05:22:48 am »

Wow, the Toaru series is getting further and further into dumb fanservice. I've just started on Magical Index 2 and the whole sports arc is just different kinds of terrible.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32090 on: August 28, 2019, 12:53:18 pm »

I'm in the last few episodes of Utena, and each episode makes me understand less of what is going on.

I've read it's tough to understand if you aren't in the same position as the main characters but

There is a lot of obvious symbology (the shadow girls, the cameras, the roses), but none of it appears to mean anything coherent. Anyone have a clue/theory?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32091 on: August 29, 2019, 02:13:38 pm »

For those familiar with Vocaloid artists on Youtube, Mitchie M made another masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWuJRRCTHrg

He just keeps getting better, goddamn is Mitchie M just a legend.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32092 on: September 01, 2019, 11:16:32 pm »

A few things I've picked up:

How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift?
A educational type anime, it teaches about workout options and benefits and guides you through bodyweight exercises you can do at home. It seems like a lot of people like it, but I found it weaker on entertainment value; the storylines and characters don't stand out. Some people may also find it distasteful on fanservice grounds, the main male character is basically eye candy and he's always out of his clothes multiple times per episode. As for female characters, you see about as much as you'd expect at a typical gym, aside from the anatomical interludes which illustrate which muscle groups the episode is focusing on.

Machikado Mazoku is a Kirara adaptation. If you've seen any of those before, you pretty much know what to expect. It's actually quite serious and story heavy by those standards – but only by those standards. It's still basically character-driven cute comedy, it's just that it also has a story. I enjoy it, but I always enjoy Kirara stuff.

Granbelm is a much more serious show that also is kind of a magical girl show but not really. It has good combat and pretty good drama, if you're into that. The story is basically "Grail war but with mecha", but still, the devil is in the details and these details are handled reasonably well. The mecha designs are aesthetically not cool at all though (way wider than they are tall was a poor choice), which is a shame because their concepts are top tier.

Maou-sama Retry, like Machikado, is what you'd expect. It's a generic isekai about a powerful guy who has some adventures and meets cute girls along the way. It's a particularly fun one though, each episode feels half as long as it is. In every individual aspect (characters, story, worldbuilding, VA, animation) I'd say it's noticeably above average for the genre. It still fails to stand out, but it's a nice comfort food type anime. I'd recommend it over Arifureta certainly – I'm not watching that, but I read the first arc and a bit of the source material.

Lastly (so far) HenSuki is actually quite different from what I expected. Based on the premise, it sounds like a shitty high school harem comedy designed mostly to titillate, and indeed there's a harem and there's comedic moments and titillating moments, but as lot of it is drama too. More than I expected anyway, and the humor isn't zany at all; it's all stuff that's pretty believable to a high school experience. I do feel like the pace could be a bit faster though, and it's not much of a mystery show; if you're reasonably intelligent you'll likely realize every twist before the MC does. Still, it's fun watching each of the characters and wondering what's gonna be wrong with this one.

Astra lost in space seems like one of those "teens in an extra dramatic situation" shows that mostly appeal to teens, but also it's a pretty classic type of sci-fi and played pretty straight. I've only just started this one, though.

More coming as I watch more, probably.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 02:30:37 am by Cruxador »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32093 on: September 02, 2019, 05:48:17 am »

The mecha designs are aesthetically not cool at all though (way wider than they are tall was a poor choice)
Man, I see that and my stumpy mecha sense perks up, I go look and... they're chibi. They're chibi, SRW style mecha, upsized. That's what's going on there. Design is bloody straight out of one of the SD gundam games or somethin'.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 05:50:29 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32094 on: September 02, 2019, 11:12:29 am »

The mecha designs are aesthetically not cool at all though (way wider than they are tall was a poor choice)
Man, I see that and my stumpy mecha sense perks up, I go look and... they're chibi. They're chibi, SRW style mecha, upsized. That's what's going on there. Design is bloody straight out of one of the SD gundam games or somethin'.
Yeah, it really detracts from what would otherwise be, at the very least, among the top anime of the season.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #32095 on: September 02, 2019, 12:27:24 pm »

I have caught up with Kaguya-sama manga and holy shit I am a new man.  No longer shall I rely on shonen manga to sate my hunger.  Romcom and slice of life is where its at.  Give me your cutest recommendations so I can spirit bomb my heart with them.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32096 on: September 02, 2019, 12:34:00 pm »

Slice of Life, huh? Try School Days, I hear it's a nice healing anime.

Also, not romcom, but Nichijou is King of SoL. This one's a serious suggestion
Lucky Star is also pretty damn good. As is Daily Lives of Highschool Boys if you don't want to see Cute Girls Doing Cute Things (tm).
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #32097 on: September 02, 2019, 03:32:02 pm »

Tis more a direct reference to late 80s/early 90s fantasy mecha kids show designs such as in Ryu Knight and Mashin Hero Wataru, which makes sense as the shows cinematography and a couple of its characters are pretty clearly inspired by 80s Sunrise mecha shows. I find it pretty charming personally since the intentional homage aspects of the show I've enjoyed a lot, and it gives it a decently unique identity and branding in the current era. Either way considering the obscurity of the studio behind Granbelm what they've done with the animation for these lil mechs has been shockingly impressive.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:38:59 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32098 on: September 02, 2019, 06:07:15 pm »

I have caught up with Kaguya-sama manga and holy shit I am a new man.  No longer shall I rely on shonen manga to sate my hunger.  Romcom and slice of life is where its at.  Give me your cutest recommendations so I can spirit bomb my heart with them.

If you want the absolute cutest slice of life, you'd probably want stuff like Yuru Yuri, Kiniiro Mosaic and "is the order a rabbit?". This is modern next-gen cute, triple distilled with activated charcoal filter cute. But there are too many of this type to name. Nickname it "cute girls x thing" and that describes the genre pretty well. Saki is cute girls playing mahjong. Bakuon is cute girls riding motorcycles. etc. There's one about mountain climbing, another one about camping. etc. For a cute one with a bit more stuff going on, try Girls Und Panzer.

Sabagebu would be my #1 pick here, because it's fucking hilarious. It's about girls in a survival / airsoft gun club. It's about winning. It's about feeding your team mate to the crocodiles so that you can run away. The humor is more similar to Kaguya-Sama than the other ones I listed above.

Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan is a slice of life about a guy at highschool with every psychic power imaginable, but he just wants to lead a normal life. But the real focus is on the many whackos he goes to school with. This show has a great set of side characters, who constantly cause problems forcing MC to use his powers. The main character more or less narrates with an internal monologue about how he despises pretty much everyone else he interacts with.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 06:36:27 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32099 on: September 02, 2019, 06:35:34 pm »

If you want the absolute cutest slice of life, you'd probably want stuff like Yuru Yuri, Kiniiro Mosaic and "is the order a rabbit?". This is modern next-gen cute, triple distilled with activated charcoal filter cute. But there are too many of this type to name.
If we're just going for maximum cute here, check out Kirara shows. There are three publications from which those might be adapted which are, in order of age and (roughly) of prestige and quality, Kirara Carat, Kirara Max, and Kirara Forward. Two of those three listed are from Kirara Max, although Yuru Yuri is from a yuri-specialized publication.
Nickname it "cute girls x thing" and that describes the genre pretty well.
I believe the original generic form from which those specific descriptors were derived is "cute girls doing cute things".

However, all that said, this kind of show by no means encompasses the entirety of cute slice of life. Kaguya is a pretty typical school slice of life and it's more about watching cute teen dumbness that's taken a bit over the top. From this season, for example, I would consider "Kawaikereba Hentai demo Suki ni Natte Kuremasuka?" (localized as "Hensuki: Are You Willing to Fall in Love with a Pervert, as Long as She's a Cutie?") as more equivalent than Machikado Mazoku, which is this season's Kirara showing. Kaguya is originally from Young Jump after all, a far less specialized magazine.

EDIT: This was posted before Reelya was done editing that post. The latter examples in it are not Kirara-centric either.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 06:46:41 pm by Cruxador »
Pages: 1 ... 2138 2139 [2140] 2141 2142 ... 2191