Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2148 2149 [2150] 2151 2152 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763912 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32235 on: October 17, 2019, 12:32:31 pm »

I occasionally rewatch the first episode of Madoka Magika, more specifically the intro dream sequence. I just think it’s really good at building hype for the rest of the show.

When I’m not looking for hype though, I’ll sometimes rewatch the scene where Homura tells Madoka about

It was just so heartfelt. The tender hug, the tears in her eyes, the piano score. It’s something you can only appreciate if you see it for yourself, and even then it’s not something everyone will care about. It was also the first time bitchy Homura broke out of her shell and showed some vulnerability.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32236 on: October 17, 2019, 12:53:25 pm »

Do any of you remember that fan-made live-action My Hero Academia video from this summer? They added more to it. Here is, as far I know, the full episode.
Why can't all anime live-action adaptions be at least this good?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:01:50 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32237 on: October 18, 2019, 07:50:44 am »

OH! I saw that a long time ago, no idea there was gonna be a full 15 minute (almost) full episode. That's just so absurdly high quality.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32238 on: October 18, 2019, 07:53:42 am »

That's just so absurdly high quality.
IKR? Admittedly, they are professional actors and director, but I would guess they still have a low budget. I have a feeling the actual live action movie will be lower quality.
EDIT: Nevermind, I can't  find an official reference to a live action movie.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 07:55:28 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32239 on: October 18, 2019, 08:05:12 am »

Turns out there is a live action version, but it's literally live action and not a movie. It's a musical.

Although it took about 3 seconds to find out someone has in fact secured the rights to make a live action film
https://screenrant.com/my-hero-academia-movie-legendary-toho/

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #32240 on: October 18, 2019, 09:45:06 am »

Lol the autograph signing schedule for AnimeNYC has an extra note under Tomino’s entries on it reading “Do not bring items from Gundam titles Mr. Tomino did not work on.”
It's FEF, not FEOF

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32241 on: October 18, 2019, 10:36:00 am »

It's that tominoesque sorta thing, calling it Gundam when really it's just giant robot anime.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32242 on: October 18, 2019, 04:30:58 pm »

IDK, some of the Tomino series were terrible an even less related to the main Gundam story than some of the non-Tomino ones. He directed Gundam Reconguista in G. If anyone else had directed it but the end result was identical it would have been written off as that "tominoesque sorta thing" with the fake Gundam name attached. So even he gets roped into making unrelated giant robot animes and putting the Gundam name on them. Whereas there are some non-Tomino series which actually are set in the same universe / continuity. Gundam: War in the Pocket is an example. That was the first non-Tomino directed one.

This guy is more akin to the post-prequels George Lucas. Would you say that Rogue One is fake-star-wars less worthy than Phantom Menace because Rogue One was just a "Lucas-esque" effort?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 04:36:37 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32243 on: October 18, 2019, 05:25:59 pm »

(It was a FLCL reference)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32244 on: October 18, 2019, 10:51:55 pm »

I don't get it, where was there a reference in either your or Futurka's post? Futurka only mentions that Tomino doesn't want to sign Gundam stuff he wasn't directly involved in, because funnily enough in 40 years he didn't personally make all the Gundam spin-offs. It's equivalent to George Lucas not wanting to sign your copy of The Last Jedi. This isn't a reference to people trying to get Tomino to sign random giant robot stuff such as FLCL models, just non-Tomino Gundams. People just haven't done their homework about which series he actually made, so since he's the "Gundam Guy" they want him to sign their Gundam merch. It is official Gundam merch, it just had nothing to do with that guy.

Is there some reference that's going over my head in your post? Because "tominoesque sorta thing, calling it Gundam when really it's just giant robot anime" describes literally dozens of different franchises, not just, and not especially FLCL, since FLCL isn't a "tominoesque sorta thing" at all, since the robots aren't mecha in that, they don't have pilots, which is the key "tominoesque sorta thing". A "tominoesque" thing isn't a thing with big robots in it, it's a military drama focusing on pilots, who happen to pilot human-shaped mecha. They could be tank drivers, or fighter pilots and the story would be exactly the same.

FLCL is a nod back to the pre-Gundam "super robot" genre in which the robots were self-controlled, such as Giant Robo, Gigantor etc. This was the whole thing that "tominoesque" series were an innovation away from.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 11:16:16 pm by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #32245 on: October 19, 2019, 01:57:35 am »

He was quoting FLCL
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32246 on: October 19, 2019, 02:18:02 am »

Oh right, so that's out of that manga montage bit? That thing's a million miles an hour, I'm amazed anyone's pulled any quotes out of it.

But I guess that's the difference between me, who cared enough to watch the whole thing only one time (and maybe have sat through the first episode a total of 2-3 times) vs a lot of people who've seen it like 15 times on Toonami.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:22:48 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32247 on: October 19, 2019, 02:34:09 am »

I bet she does it like a weasel!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32248 on: October 19, 2019, 04:59:45 am »

I just finished I think episode twelve of Tokyo Ghoul season 3 ( Technically Tokyo Ghoul: RE ) and boy this show is crazy.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32249 on: October 19, 2019, 05:45:08 am »

I finally finished Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions 2 seasons and cried at both of them. I thought this would be a fun little anime with Rikka being cuteness incarnate but no that anime had to whip on the emotions like a snapped cable.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.
Pages: 1 ... 2148 2149 [2150] 2151 2152 ... 2191