Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2149 2150 [2151] 2152 2153 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2762696 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32250 on: October 21, 2019, 09:57:21 am »

3 manga recommendations, mostly on the comedy side of things:

Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband
Former yakuza is house husband.  Mostly slice of life.

Hinamatsuri
Yakuza adopts lazy girl with telekinetic powers.

Master Drifting Away Again/Master Disconnecting Again
Setting is one of those cultivator type things, but the MC doesn't care and just wants to live an easy life.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32251 on: October 21, 2019, 10:03:03 am »

Gokushufudou is excellent. 50% of what makes it so great is that it has a classic film noir aesthetic - detailed art, lots of low angles, hardboiled people all over the place - and it plays into it as hard as possible before slamming on the subversions.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #32252 on: October 22, 2019, 06:50:39 am »

SEQUEL PROJECT TO MUV LUV ALTERNATIVE TITLED MUV LUV INTEGRATE THAT WILL BE THE MERGING POINT OF THE ENTIRETY OF ALL THE MUV LUV STORIES AND AN ANIME ADAPTATION OF MUV LUV ALTERNATIVE JUST GOT ANNOUNCED

ALSO A REMAKE OF RUMBLING HEARTS IF THAT’S MORE YOUR THING
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:00:31 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #32253 on: October 22, 2019, 12:03:20 pm »

Despite all the VNs I’ve consumed in the past, I’ve never gotten around to the Muv Luv series...
Perhaps I should
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32254 on: October 24, 2019, 09:09:29 am »

Gokushufudou is excellent. 50% of what makes it so great is that it has a classic film noir aesthetic - detailed art, lots of low angles, hardboiled people all over the place - and it plays into it as hard as possible before slamming on the subversions.
I love the way the dude obviously still thinks in Yakuza terms, despite the problems being decidedly mundane and non-threatening.

Latest chapter he's teaching a kid subtraction by drawing little figures of a crime lord and his underlings before asking how many remain if seven guys are "whacked".

And of course the wife being scarier than the hard-boiled ex-criminal is a classic, almost cliche trope, but it's so cheesy it's good.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32255 on: November 08, 2019, 10:14:06 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32256 on: November 10, 2019, 04:13:57 am »

Several episodes in to Demon Slayer, I'm really liking it so far. Zenitsu's getting on my nerves, but I KNOW that I can like him, it's just the episodes give his coward and crybaby moments way too much screen time. If they were to balance and pace it better, throw in more quiet introspection and resolve moments, he'd be a lot more functionally sympathetic.

"I'm a coward and I know it, but I really want to be better" can only really go so far if it's EXECUTED well. Dude is doing too much screaming and running away relative to scenes of him genuinely trying to improve and change.

Since he's not that funny, he's almost at Jar Jar Binks levels of annoying. Hoping character development comes quickly.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32257 on: November 21, 2019, 08:00:13 am »

I'm watching Mahou Shoujo Ore now. It's pretty weird. Think Sailor Moon but when Usagi transforms she turns into a JoJo character in a girly dress.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32258 on: November 21, 2019, 09:17:55 am »

Zenitsu's getting on my nerves, but I KNOW that I can like him, it's just the episodes give his coward and crybaby moments way too much screen time.

I agree fully. I don’t like him.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32259 on: December 03, 2019, 07:36:22 am »

Wow it's been a while, I had watched a few series since the last time I commented here.

First off, I really wish that I could have found The World God Only Knows OVA in subbed. I don't mind dubbed personally but it just felt way over done or just dead pan in the first half of the first episode so I had to stop. I think the blu-ray has it in sub but I dont know for sure.

I did watch the Goddesses series and I really enjoyed it. I still wished I could see the series in between series 2 and the goddesses but I could not find where to watch everything. I wish there was plans for doing another season afterwards because of the ending but if I researched it correctly the company went belly up and there's no current plans on continuing the anime as a whole. I would like to get the manga at that point but since it's out of print, I dont think I would pay 50~100$ usd per volume and hope the volume is in decent condition at this point.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32260 on: December 10, 2019, 07:14:17 pm »

I just watched Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl and holy fucking shit I didn't expect it to be that hard and heavy. I wished that I had watched it in the theaters but damn I just had to pause the movie a couple of times because it was so unbelievably sad. I still recommend it but definitely need to have something to cry into because of how hard it my feelings.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32261 on: December 10, 2019, 08:53:54 pm »

The only thing in an anime that ever actually hit me like that was, of all things, that cheeseball superdark Castlevania anime.

I had just had my first kid and I lost it when...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32262 on: December 11, 2019, 03:27:38 am »

The most commonly cited moment for feels in anime is the end of Clannad: After Story. Pretty strong stuff but you need to watch the full 48+ I think eps to get to that point, and of course skipping the rest would just ruin the effect.

Something similar: It's said Aria the Origination (the final season of Aria) is the best one, so some people actually don't bother with the rest and just watch "Aria the Origination" and expect themselves to get something out of it. However, the point is, it's so good because it's the endpoint of all the characters journeys. You have to have been there from the start for anything to make sense or affect you. The core concept is about the cycle of life through apprenticeship, journeyman and master, and about going with the flow of life. Skipping to the end is just dumb. Just don't bother starting Origination if you're not interested to see the whole thing, it's the exact opposite of what the entire show is about: the show makes a big point of how much people are missing when they're in a hurry to get somewhere, so it's highly ironic that a bunch of people want to watch it because they've read the rave reviews, but they're looking for some magic fast-forward button to get through all the "slow bits". Hint: it's all slow bits, that's what the reviews are about.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 03:44:11 am by Reelya »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32263 on: December 11, 2019, 08:25:36 am »

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32264 on: December 11, 2019, 11:29:31 pm »

The most commonly cited moment for feels in anime is the end of Clannad: After Story. Pretty strong stuff but you need to watch the full 48+ I think eps to get to that point, and of course skipping the rest would just ruin the effect.

What’s your opinion on Clannad Reelya? I decided to watch Kanon first since I heard it was a less emotionally intense precursor to Clannad made by the same studio, but I was completely underwhelmed. The show had its charms, but a lot of its emotional moments fell flat for me (among other problems).

*rant over*

Sorry about that. Especially if you never even watched that show. I just wanted to know if Clannad was different enough from Kanon to actually be good. I was actually looking forward to watching it until I learned that the people who were championing Clannad were also championing Kanon.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 2149 2150 [2151] 2152 2153 ... 2191