Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2150 2151 [2152] 2153 2154 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763678 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32265 on: December 12, 2019, 03:15:21 am »

The point with all these series is that they're visual novel adaptations. The arcs in Key series were all originally actual endings to their own stories. Then, they get adapted to a single anime, so they get strung out one after the other. The stories were just never intended to be sequential stories. This is the most common problem with visual novel adaptations: they're not linear, but anime is. It's as if someone told you to adapt a Choose Your Own Adventure story to TV, but the design brief is that you have to include all the endings and major plot-points from every route through the book.

It's not "lazy writing", it's trying to work out how to smoosh multiple separate storylines which were never intended to occur in the same timeline into a single continuity - you inevitably have to summarize each characters arc, then "reboot" back to the splitting point, then rinse and repeat. For both Kanon and Clannad, there's a starting arc setting everything up then they go through each main heroine's route sequentially, so you have to really treat it as a collection of separate arcs, because that's exactly what it is. So whether or not you enjoy the final product is another matter, but the writers for these things aren't lazy. Lazy writing is when you can write whatever you want, rather than being heavily constrained in what you can write, and having to shoe-horn a ton of incompatible material in.

BTW: if you want the lazy version of visual novel adaptations, it's series which have each arc overtly happen and then just more or less say "ok, just pretend the last 3-4 episodes never happened, and this is what would have happened otherwise". This can work well in some cases if done well, and may even be the only way some visual novels can be adapted, if the different arcs are just too contradictory to go into one narrative (Amagami SS), but it's outright just way more lazy as a way to adapt a visual novel, because you just plain don't need to make any effort at all to gloss over the inconsistencies between the arcs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 10:52:04 am by Reelya »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32266 on: December 16, 2019, 08:06:35 pm »

Big oof.

I finished the second season of OreGairu (My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected/My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU) and I find I'm obsessing over it. Read through several analyses of it from reddit. The fact that it is unconcluded is surely a part of it, even if I can console myself that the third season and conclusion is coming (though I'd surely wait until the complete season was available, so likely won't get around to it for a full twelve months). And if were really desperate I could read translations of now-released volumes that haven't been adapted yet. Can't imagine watching this back in 2016 and going three and a half years wondering if they'd ever finish it.

It hit me harder than Your Lie In April, which did have a conclusive ending, and even... stuff I don't want to say (and don't care to spoiler-tag since the forum can't do inline spoilers).

I don't much care to analyze the whys and whatfors, that would only really deepen the obsession. Instead, I need something else to watch over the next few weeks to get my mind off it. I've finished ReLife, which was far more light-hearted, while still being meaningful and not saccharine. I liked that ReLife seemed to completely eschew any kind of fanservice (OreGairu mostly avoided it in the main adaptation, though the merchandise is heavily fanservice, and some stills are clearly intended for male gaze).

Examples of others I enjoyed: ERASED was good. Kaguya-Sama: Love is War was a good comedy, though I preferred the more dramatic turn of the final third of the season. FMA:B was decent but some of action scenes and dialogue (especially dialogue in the action scenes) are nonsensical. I've tried an episode or two of K-ON but I think it might be a little too "cute girls doing cute things" (if I could be permitted to use such a term), even if it does get more meaningful later on. Violet Evergarden was lovely when it concentrated on Violet learning how to be human, but the military/rebel (anti-peace) arc felt poorly written and made little sense. Goblin Slayer is a nice change, although watching it a second time I feel the dialogue might be poorly paced (but this could be a translation/dub/actor problem). Conversely: Overlord is edgy powerfantasy, My Hero Academia suffers from DBZ syndrome, and Konosuba is just... trash

Suggestions? It doesn't necessarily have to be slice of life/romcom.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 08:08:58 pm by Niveras »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32267 on: December 16, 2019, 08:21:39 pm »

Hero Academia is indeed intended for not-particularly-old people. Teen-ish, more or less. It's not much in Worm's direction, more plain ol' superhero stuff. There's some edge to it, but not "major character flayed alive and strung about a room still living" edge.

... there's minor spoiler there, I guess, but if you haven't started worm yet you'll probably forget by the time you get there lol

Konasuba is indeed kinda' trash. I've read plenty worse isekai schlock but it's still very much isekai schlock, just schlock in different ways than normal. Dunno if it's supposed to be a deconstruction, reads more like standard less serious slice of life guff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32268 on: December 17, 2019, 02:48:51 am »

I'd suggest Daily lives of Highschool Boys, Kimi to Boku, and Tanaka is Always Listless as some slice of life shows that aren't about the obligatory 4-5 cute girls doing cute things. Also Saiki Kuso Psi Nan, because it's pretty good too.

But there are much better series than K-On in that same vein however. Azumanga Daioh, Hidamari Sketch, Nichijou are some suggestions.

Obligatory NWA meets Hidamari Sketch (NSFW audio):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlYp5w4iFQ0
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 02:59:35 am by Reelya »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32269 on: December 17, 2019, 03:03:34 am »

Konosuba is one of those "lol I'm a parody but also not really" type of shows where they look at and recognize how totally stupid things are and then do them anyway, laughing all the way. There's a certain kind of charm to it, but I definitely don't feel like it justifies the love I sometimes see of it. It amazes me that anyone's attracted to Aqua - seeing someone act like she's at all a decent waifu is basically my red flag that that person is someone who values body over everything else... Combined.

As far as suggestions, I have this prepared and on hand for anytime someone asks me for suggestions:
YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA YUKI YUNA

One might surmise that it's my favorite anime or something.  :P

Outside of that, for other unusual reccomendations:
  • A-channel was pretty good SoL stuff. Nothing super unique, to be honest, but the humor is solid and the girls are cute. The cast is pretty well-balanced and play well with each other - it's a good palette cleanser between more serious and gritty anime.
  • Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is a classic, and about as close as I can get to Monogatari's epilepsy animation without getting a headache - offset by the cool 50's posterboard asthetic. That has some weird darkness in it, but is still really funny, and if you really want a mindfuck you can finish it off by reading the manga from halfway after the anime's over.
  • If you're looking for a movie, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is pretty good. It doesn't take a lot of the usual routes you expect with anime nowadays, and the animation is quite beautiful.
  • Made in Abyss is not for public watching because of the loli nipples and gore, but goddamn is it a gripping story. You can't help but root for Riko's success even as you wince in anticipated horror as she descends deeper into the nightmarish abyss. Absolutely fucked up anime, but also 9/10 quality or better in nearly every respect.
  • Nichijou is fucking hilarious and, to this day, the funniest anime I have ever watched. Yuuko watching her principal take off his jacket to reveal his bulletproof vest before suplexing a deer in the school courtyard will never not be the peak of absurdist humor. And Hakase is maximum cute.
  • Searching for it on Youtube also led me to Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, which, while not quite as funny, is also hilarious and a refreshing break from cute girls doing everything, having only one real female character. It's an endless font of memes, best friends being best friends at each other (and not shounen "I'LL DIE FOR YOU" friends, more like "Yo, put this crab in your pants it'll be funny" friends), and other SoL shenanigans with the twist that instead of cute girls it's a bunch of high school dudes doing it, which makes a surprising amount of the comedy like 3 times better.
  • Kanata no Kyoukai is also pretty good, and has one of the more realistic male friendships I've seen (I talk and joke about fetishes with my bros all the time). The main girl is both cute and shockingly badass, and there's this awesome sense of mysticism pervading most of it. The fight scenes are beautiful and the relationships are poignant... And the ghosts are weird. Really, really weird in some cases. Looking at you Mr. "I spooge stink juice all over everyone if I don't like the idol presentation given to me".
  • Denpa Onna to Seishun no Otoko is really good and super atmospheric - make sure to watch episode 13 for one HELL of a twist too. Despite not doing anything super new with the medium it feels oddly unique and satisfying, possibly because it actually has a plot in between the SoL stuff. My only regret watching this anime was that I can't get more of Ryuuko's smile - absolute 11/10 best girl forever she is my fucking waifu material, that one.
  • Rokka no Yuusha is hard to explain without spoiling, but let's just say it's a lot cooler than it first appears. And it doesn't seem exactly bad at first, what with the main character being something of a toned-down Captain Jack Sparrow mixed with a happier Batman. There's a vomit loli, a bunny girl, a catboy, and while it might seem like a brainless adventure story at first, it very, very much is not. Let's just say that if you gather seven heroes and have eight of them, interesting things are about to happen.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32270 on: December 17, 2019, 03:30:26 am »

Ah there were some good suggestions in there, some of which I considered too.

Some other good stuff:

Spice And Wolf: Medieval Fantasy, slice of life, romcom with shady dealing and economics.

Aria: best sci-fi slice of life series. Very artistic / atmospheric. Need to be in chill mood, or, this anime will create a chill mood.

Haibane Renmei: Slice of life about the afterlife or purgatory or somesuch.

Sora no Woto: a lot like a mix between Aria and Haibane Renmei. It's set in post-apocalyptic times, but so far past the apocalypse that most everyone is pretty chill and just getting along with their lives.

Yowamushi Pedal: one of the most addicting sports animes. It's about cycling / road racing.

Hajime no Ippo: another addicting sports series, it's about boxing

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32271 on: December 18, 2019, 10:57:12 am »

Konosuba is one of those "lol I'm a parody but also not really" type of shows where they look at and recognize how totally stupid things are and then do them anyway, laughing all the way. There's a certain kind of charm to it, but I definitely don't feel like it justifies the love I sometimes see of it.  - seeing someone act like she's at all a decent waifu is basically my red flag that that person is someone who values body over everything else... Combined.
Well, my first reaction to "It amazes me that anyone's attracted to Aqua" was "short skirt no panties" but she does also seem fun to hang out with and pretty chill in general. I don't think it's weird that some people can like her for her personality even if you don't.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32272 on: December 18, 2019, 01:49:03 pm »

Everything aside, she's far from the worst character I've seen in an isekai work. Probably not even in the top hundred on that front -- for all her faults she's largely good intentioned or non-maliciously selfish, not particularly genocidal/casually murderous, don't recall her being rape-y, etc., etc., etc. As isekai goes she's schlock, not shit, basically. Like most of konosuba, heh. Trash, but not dumpster fire trash, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32273 on: December 18, 2019, 03:27:32 pm »

Nah, I wasn't saying she's a bad character, more that she's not a great waifu; She's not competent at anything she does, she's full of herself, and she's selfish. Any relationship with Aqua would turn pretty toxic quick, imo.

Konosuba was funny enough - I feel like it's a bit overrated, but it's not bad.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32274 on: December 18, 2019, 08:25:05 pm »

Nah, I wasn't saying she's a bad character, more that she's not a great waifu; She's not competent at anything she does, she's full of herself, and she's selfish. Any relationship with Aqua would turn pretty toxic quick, imo.
One of the things KonoSuba is praised for is writing the characters in a realistic way. I don't agree with that across the board, but I think with Aqua it's pretty accurate. And her relationships with the other characters work out fine. It's not the same as a romantic relationship necessarily, but still. I reckon plenty of people would be able to have a relationship with her that's a more positive experience than the general baseline for their lives.

Konosuba was funny enough - I feel like it's a bit overrated, but it's not bad.
I've sort of been defending it, but I agree with this. I think it basically just took the chill vibe that's in the best of the cute girls doing cute things shows (e.g. Yuru Camp), and put it in a show format more appealing to a younger and more mainstream audience. And like with plenty of other shows, young fans who hadn't seen anything like it before latched on, enjoyed it, and told their friends.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32275 on: December 20, 2019, 12:06:46 pm »

Spoiler: Jojo part 5 spoilers (click to show/hide)
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #32276 on: December 20, 2019, 12:36:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32277 on: December 26, 2019, 01:59:45 am »

I'm watching 2001 anime Earth Girl Arjuna. I don't recommend it.

It's a trainwreck environmental-themed anime which lays the message on way too thick, has terrible animation, bad action scenes and character designs, terrible pacing, throws in live action footage of "greenie" stuff and has terribly integrated and very noticeable CGI to boot.

A number of times I've wanted to yell at the show for some of the ludicrous claims it makes about "greenie" stuff. There's too much to go into. I'm up to episode 9 and they're having this blatant bit about how hospitals are assholes because natural births (i.e. home births) are "better". The only reason given is that babies cry less when hugged by their mother right after the birth. So it must be better, right? They're making out that hospitals being sanitary where baby is concerned is somehow sinister and unnatural. It's a good thing the show writers decided to omit any infant mortality figures, which tell the opposite story to their narrative.

This is pretty much the problem with every single "fact" this show presents, for example the show promotes the idea of just randomly throwing seeds around, not doing any maintenance, and letting the bug and weeds just chill alongside the crops and just hoping you can harvest enough to eat as a serious alternative to intensive farming to feed the world. The show claims that one person doing this full time could feed about 10 people. So we "only" need 10% of the world population to do this and all food problems would be solved. Simple, right? All us idiots thinking you have to actually put labor into producing food, we've been so foolish this whole time when the whole 7 billion people in the world can just live of scavenging weeds and berries! Thanks, show.

There was also a bit where they're ripping shit out of the education system, saying it was just "easier" as in - lazy - that the teacher only teaches the same curriculum to every student in the class when they could simply tailor lessons to every single individual student's needs and rate of learning. The implication in the show is that the problem is that the teachers just lack "pep" so they're just going through the motions. So that's the problem apparently - teachers not peppy enough, and don't put in enough overtime designing custom material for each student. The whole bit used the word "easier" as a dirty word for a whole lot of things we do in society, missing the point that "easier" generally means "uses less time and resources".

I mean, all these things have problems but this show's treatment of them all is just idiotic, naive and one-sided.

EDIT: oh boy I should have been blogging this show from the start. Up to episode 11 now. There's a bit that says that basically all medicine is poison because originated as industrial waste, and then says that most diseases don't really need medicine, if fact, you're better off without it - giving the example of a cold boosting your immune system. Then the MC, who is listening, says "medicine builds up toxins in your body". I guess we can throw away vaccines, thanks show. Right after that it monologues into a bit about how at the end of WWII they had all these factories making chemicals for the war (such as explosives) and that rather than tear them down the repurposed them - using evil "nitrogen" from the factories as (spoken with implied quotes) "fertilizer". At this point there was an ominous zoom in to the MC's face as if she'd just heard the worst conspiracy in the world. This is just presented as them spreading poison on fields since the word "fertilizer" is emphasized as if it's a lie. They don't make a single mention that nitrating the soil massively increases crop yields thus helping to end hunger, and hoping that you don't know basic chemistry since nitrogen is almost 80% of the atmosphere, not just a sinister "chemical".

EDIT2: there's also a claim that post-war pesticides were used as chemical weapons during WWI and WWII, and only then turned on the insects. Basic history here, that definitely didn't happen. Arsenic-based pesticides were dominant until they developed DDT. Neither of these things were developed as weapons in the wars. There's just so much made-up bullshit in this show delivered as if it's educating the audience.

Also, there's a character with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia, who is fighting against modern society because she blames "chemicals" for her condition. This is at least interesting that they had a character like that, however that's a condition from an inherited recessive gene, not one from chemical exposure as far as I've ever heard. Hell, if chemical exposure was flipping baby's gender you can damn well bet we'd have all heard about it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 06:57:10 am by Reelya »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32278 on: December 26, 2019, 07:17:14 am »

Heh.  The best thing I can say about Earth Girl Arjuna is that Yoko Kanno did the music.  I watched it once and never did again, and I have never had the impulse to go back to it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32279 on: December 26, 2019, 07:21:05 am »

Man I didn't know Conspiracy Theorists and Homeopathy-Advocates got together to make an anime! When do they bring in the crystals, magnets, and alkaline water as treatments for real diseases?
Pages: 1 ... 2150 2151 [2152] 2153 2154 ... 2191