Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2157 2158 [2159] 2160 2161 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2762718 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32370 on: May 06, 2020, 07:16:29 am »

Well there's moe fishing, camping, mountain climbing, cycling, scuba-diving.

BTW the cycling one was actually pretty decent too. At the end I felt like I could go another season, as opposed to the "thank god i finished this" feeling.

Add another new one to the moe outdoor activities shows. Rock climbing now.
https://myanimelist.net/news/59665522
And of course I've left off things like swimming and beach volleyball and the like which could totally count but would blow the number of shows way up. Not to mention there are enough moe shows with weight lifting or fitness training in them to count as a genre now:
Also I should mention the moe island survival anime Sounan desu ka?. It's good for that "did they really just go there?" thing more or less constantly. Trust me that you'll see shit in this show that you'll never ever see in any other anime.

EDIT: and wtf, this show is ridiculously cute:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 07:33:24 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32371 on: May 06, 2020, 08:05:31 am »

Ah, that would be kuma kuma kuma bear, without even checking the link. The LN/WN is pretty alright! Litrpg isekai stuff, iirc, but fluffy scatterbrained slice of life-ish instead of murder hobo harem building. I mean, you can sorta' side eye some harem building in it, if I'm remembering right, but it's yuri harem so it gets more of a pass :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32372 on: May 06, 2020, 10:36:17 am »

Also I should mention the moe island survival anime Sounan desu ka?. It's good for that "did they really just go there?" thing more or less constantly. Trust me that you'll see shit in this show that you'll never ever see in any other anime.
I don't know, I think it can be considered a bit misleading to mention this in a post like this, actually. Where's the more in this show? Is having a female cast enough to count? It doesn't focus on cuteness, at all really. It's more of a Bear Grylls/Robinson Crusoe plot.

Now that I think of it, dumbell nan kilo moteru isn't moe either. It's just girls working out together, but doesn't have any genre-specific stylization. It also puts a fair bit of emphasis on how the girls look at their ridiculously swole personal trainer, and I feel like any significant male  character is a clear sign that this is a different genre altogether.

In short, I feel like "moe" is way more of a specific descriptor than "the main cast is female" even though that's basically a given as a component of it.

Ah, that would be kuma kuma kuma bear, without even checking the link. The LN/WN is pretty alright! Litrpg isekai stuff, iirc, but fluffy scatterbrained slice of life-ish instead of murder hobo harem building. I mean, you can sorta' side eye some harem building in it, if I'm remembering right, but it's yuri harem so it gets more of a pass :P
I didn't read the original but I've seen people discussing it plenty. Seems like it deserves better than the mediocrity of EMT Squared, but the last bear-centric cute girl story they did was probably their best received show so I can see why they'd want to do similar again.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32373 on: May 06, 2020, 12:35:07 pm »

I mean, I'unno? It's fairly inoffensive litrpg/isekai, which makes it not complete drek but mediocre is probably not far from what you could consider it deserving, heh. It's not bad, but it's also fairly bog standard OP power fantasy in most ways, except with a cute non-murderhobo MC and some lily shading. If it weren't for most things in that general area of literature et al being remarkably terrible it wouldn't stand out much :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32374 on: May 07, 2020, 02:59:26 am »

@Cruxador, I was using moe here loosely to refer to the moe art style and the common trope of cramming 4-5 cute schoolgirls into some setting.

Which kind of does fit with the various definitions of moe.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php?ann-edition=au&id=77
Moe ... to describe something precious, usually (but not always) the ideal of youthful and innocent femininity.

In these sorts of cases such as Sounan Desu Ka? It's specifically because they're schoolgirls in their full schoolgirl regalia stranded on an island which makes it moe. "It's like Lost except they are schoolgirls in school uniforms" in itself is a moe adaptation of the concept. That's the entire intended appeal, that it's schoolgirls doing it. Whether or not the show itself focuses on "cute moments" or not, the fact is that thought went into the character designs and the uniforms to appeal to their target audience. That makes it moe.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 03:08:36 am by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32375 on: May 07, 2020, 10:36:39 am »

@Cruxador, I was using moe here loosely to refer to the moe art style and the common trope of cramming 4-5 cute schoolgirls into some setting.
Then we're starting out on the same foot because this is more or less the definition by which I think categorizing those shows as moe is a poor descriptor. First of all, neither really has  a noe artstyle in my view - I would hold that the key feature of the artstyle is short little bodies and big cobby faces, making even characters who theoretically are adults (as in workplace-themed shows like New Game! or Blend S) look very young. Aside from that, the only thing they'd very typical is big, complicated, and high-budget eyes, but these are by no means exclusive to moe anime, it's just that you won't see moe anime without this. Since both of those shows have realistically proportioned characters (aside from the muscle beasts in Dumbbells) or at least a more standard anime proportion, this criteria clearly indicates not moe-oriented.

I do sort of disagree with the idea that there are girls and they're cute is enough to say it's moe anime; although one might sum up the appeal of the genre that way, I think it's too simplistic. First of all, "cute" is broader than "moe", which your ANN definition agrees with. It's also far too common, like the eye thing, to be an identifying criterion. Pretty much every anime character regardless of age or gender is going to be cute, per the very broad western usage of that word, unless there's some reason in the narrative that they shouldn't be. Although moe can be translated as cute, I would consider it specifically to be cute in the way a child is cute.

Also, the number of girls isn't really indicative of the structure of the cast; I think presumably you meant this but a show with 4-5 girls and 4-5 guys, or a (het) harem show can't really be considered to be moe in terms of genre, even if you might classify individual characters that way. Although it could definitely be considered a stricter definition, I don't think it's wrong to say that moe anime lacks male characters, or at least significant male characters who could seem sexually threatening to the more insecure portion of the viewerbase.

In these sorts of cases such as Sounan Desu Ka? It's specifically because they're schoolgirls in their full schoolgirl regalia stranded on an island which makes it moe. "It's like Lost except they are schoolgirls in school uniforms" in itself is a moe adaptation of the concept. That's the entire intended appeal, that it's schoolgirls doing it. Whether or not the show itself focuses on "cute moments" or not, the fact is that thought went into the character designs and the uniforms to appeal to their target audience. That makes it moe.
Lord of the Flies has the kids in school uniforms too. I get where you're coming from, and I would actually consider it less of a stretch than with Dumbbells now that I think about it. But to consider the intent or purpose of the work, look at where it's published. It's from a magazine with gravure and pop idols. Consistent with this, it has revealing shots and situations that consistently seem like they're meant, at least in part, to titillate and draw attention to that situation rather than just a matter-of-fact "this is what is necessary in this situation" kind of perspective, which would be valid. In other words, I'm pretty sure it's teenage girls in schoolgirl uniforms for ecchi/fetish reasons, not moe.

I realize to some extent I'm basically saying "moe means it's from a kirara magazine" but... Isn't that mostly true? Who besides Houdansha targets and capitalizes on this market to such a thorough extent?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32376 on: May 07, 2020, 05:01:53 pm »

Lord of the Flies has the kids in school uniforms too.

Seriously, that's a kind of ridiculous jump to make right there.

Anime schoolgirls in short skirts doing <thing X> is a total thing, which is what I'm talking about. It's a deliberate invocation of that trope, which is for the moe appeal.

"Anime schoolgirls" is an extremely specific trope, and it's silly to point to general depictions of schoolchildren from unrelated media to say that we can't pinpoint this as a trope that's specific to anime.

Your objection is akin to saying we can't recognize harems as being an anime trope because there are love triangles in some particular Jennifer Anniston romcom film, or because Captain Kirk kissed a bunch of alien girls.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 05:05:55 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32377 on: May 07, 2020, 05:08:56 pm »

Lord of the Flies has the kids in school uniforms too.

Seriously, that's a kind of ridiculous jump to make right there.

Anime schoolgirls in short skirts doing <thing X> is a total thing, which is what I'm talking about. "Anime schoolgirls" is an extremely specific trope, and it's silly to point to general depictions of schoolchildren from unrelated media to say that we can't pinpoint this as a trope that's specific to anime.
I'm, uh. Pretty sure that's not what's going on. Also could swear what I read is different from what got quoted, but... whatever.

Though yeah, this bear grill/drink-my-piss/island-survival-fan-service thing isn't what I'd considering slotting into moe anymore than I would highschool of the dead. It takes something besides schoolgirls in short skirts doing stuff to fit there, y'know?
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32378 on: May 07, 2020, 05:30:10 pm »

I don't think so. I think that's being overly reductionist. You have to look at how a Japanese person would understand the word.

If you said to someone in Japan that Sounan Desu Ka is a survival anime, but it's got moe schoolgirls instead of the typical kind of character you'd expect in that situation, I think they'd completely get what you mean. I very much doubt they'd say that because there was fanservice or there was some gross-out humor then the term moe doesn't count, for some reason. It's the artstyle and choice of character designs. For example the same as Strike Witches is moe/military despite rampant fanservice.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32379 on: May 07, 2020, 06:17:43 pm »

Strike witches has a fairly different art style and character design though :P

Honestly I'm not sure telling even someone used to anime nomenclature that sounan desu ka had moe schoolgirls wouldn't be something like a bait and switch. 'Cause from what I'm seeing of it neither the anime nor the manga is leaning moe-wards stylistically. Characters too mature, not... squidgy enough, something like that. They're schoolgirls, sure, but just... not moe ones.
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32380 on: May 08, 2020, 04:23:02 pm »

Anyway, moving on

Finish Amanchu (to season 2), that was pretty good, but you have to be into iyashikei anime to get that sort of thing. It's pure relaxing and feel good anime.

Then watched Girl's Last Tour, that was pretty great, better than I was expecting. Is it just me or does it have kind of a "reverse Made in Abyss" vibe to it? Well, if you liked the exploring factor of Made in Abyss you might like this.

Now I'm watching Carole and Tuesday which is produced by studio Bones. It's a strange show. Pretty distinctive artstyle, and it's one of those future-setting slice of life animes, but with a music focus. It's set on a terraformed and heavily settled Mars. The first episode was titled True Colors and the second one was called Born To Run as a note. If you've seen Macross Frontier and note some of the gizmos like Ranka's frog plushie phone then this series has touches of everyday future tech like that. So there's a slight Macross Frontier vibe, as far as it's about aspiring musicians on a future space city with cute high-tech appliances.

Up to episode 3 now, and the characters use Woolong to pay for food. Woolong! So I checked it out and sure enough it's directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, and with the future Mars setting and using Woolong there's a chance (or you can imagine) that it's technically set in the Cowboy Beebop universe.

EDIT: oh goddamn there are some payoff moments in Carole and Tuesday. One of the insert songs in particular. I'm not going to spoil it because it's too good a surprise but you'll know it when you see it. Recommend you jump in blind and don't check out anything on youtube because spoilers. Highly recommend this show. It should be available on Netflix.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 12:06:49 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32381 on: May 31, 2020, 09:26:53 am »

Well, finished my rewatch of Shokukegi no Soma and caught up to season 4 now.

It's a shame however, because I planned it out to finish this show about now, and have the season 5 episodes ready to go right before they finished ... except they're on hiatus because of the lockdowns :/

However, Shokugeki no Soma season 4 is actually a really good spot to watch up to for now. A lot of loose ends cleared up. Season 5+ feels like it'll be the start of a whole new chapter in the story.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:35:05 am by Reelya »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32382 on: May 31, 2020, 07:15:38 pm »

Getting around to watching Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Is there another circumstance in which the "vertical line "vibrating" to a voice" is used? Because it seems very familiar to me but I can't place it.

I scratched my brain for a while and came up with Kings of Power 4 Billion Percent, but it doesn't exist - the scene I was remembering was just vibrating text ("hohoho this has been predestined since the dawn of time").

Anyone know what else I could have possibly been thinking of?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:30:46 pm by Niveras »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32383 on: June 01, 2020, 06:38:04 am »

I have a question to ask. When we was kids my brother had an anime video that I was not allowed to watch but that I watched in secret. On it was a few episodes of some show. For the longest time I thought that show was Neon Genesis Evangelion. It featured mecha and bunkers and fighting on Mars/desert/rock like area. But then I watched NGE and it wasn't that show at all, the show I watched had lots more girl soliders/officers/bunker computer people with ridiculous hair colours. But the music that I associated with NGE was the correct one. So I'm thinking that the  NGE association might come from a trailer or something on the video (there was also a trailer I remember of an anime about two (or three?) cop vat girls. And some other that all I remember about it was the name "full metal" (not alchemist ;) ). But I'm still curious about what that anime might have been. I know the description I gave might probably apply to like a hundred thousand different animes. But to have reached Sweden in the 90's it must have presumably have been one of the more famous series. Does anyone have the slightest idea of what it could have been?
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32384 on: June 01, 2020, 08:35:04 am »

Is there another circumstance in which the "vertical line "vibrating" to a voice" is used? Because it seems very familiar to me but I can't place it.

There's a similar thing in Disney's Fantasia, I guess?

Otherwise, I suspect you're thinking of an oscilloscope showing a radio transmission, which is something it took me a surprisingly long time to actually find given I knew more-or-less exactly what I was looking for.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 2157 2158 [2159] 2160 2161 ... 2191