Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2158 2159 [2160] 2161 2162 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2762641 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32385 on: June 01, 2020, 09:40:12 am »

Is there another circumstance in which the "vertical line "vibrating" to a voice" is used? Because it seems very familiar to me but I can't place it.

There's a similar thing in Disney's Fantasia, I guess?

Otherwise, I suspect you're thinking of an oscilloscope showing a radio transmission, which is something it took me a surprisingly long time to actually find given I knew more-or-less exactly what I was looking for.

Do you have a specific scene from Fantasia in mind? I do think I've watched that but I would've only been a little kid (<10), it would had to have left a primordial impression for me to remember the concept but not the scene itself.

A radio oscilloscope might have inspired the animators (if it didn't have its own source in earlier animation), but they're so different visually they don't really map together in my mind. The thing I am trying to remember was definitely very similar visually - black background, vertical white line, vibrating erratically with speech (and not showing peaks and troughs like a sound frequency).

I have a question to ask. When we was kids my brother had an anime video that I was not allowed to watch but that I watched in secret. On it was a few episodes of some show. For the longest time I thought that show was Neon Genesis Evangelion. It featured mecha and bunkers and fighting on Mars/desert/rock like area. But then I watched NGE and it wasn't that show at all, the show I watched had lots more girl soliders/officers/bunker computer people with ridiculous hair colours. But the music that I associated with NGE was the correct one. So I'm thinking that the  NGE association might come from a trailer or something on the video (there was also a trailer I remember of an anime about two (or three?) cop vat girls. And some other that all I remember about it was the name "full metal" (not alchemist ;) ). But I'm still curious about what that anime might have been. I know the description I gave might probably apply to like a hundred thousand different animes. But to have reached Sweden in the 90's it must have presumably have been one of the more famous series. Does anyone have the slightest idea of what it could have been?

I'm by no means an expert on anime, but "full metal" on myanimelist returned Full Metal Panic, which seems to be a mech anime. However, it is early 2000s and not 90s. I'm not sure if that is close enough to match what you were thinking about.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 10:16:01 am by Niveras »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #32386 on: June 01, 2020, 10:50:30 am »

I have a question to ask. When we was kids my brother had an anime video that I was not allowed to watch but that I watched in secret. On it was a few episodes of some show. For the longest time I thought that show was Neon Genesis Evangelion. It featured mecha and bunkers and fighting on Mars/desert/rock like area. But then I watched NGE and it wasn't that show at all, the show I watched had lots more girl soliders/officers/bunker computer people with ridiculous hair colours. But the music that I associated with NGE was the correct one. So I'm thinking that the  NGE association might come from a trailer or something on the video (there was also a trailer I remember of an anime about two (or three?) cop vat girls. And some other that all I remember about it was the name "full metal" (not alchemist ;) ). But I'm still curious about what that anime might have been. I know the description I gave might probably apply to like a hundred thousand different animes. But to have reached Sweden in the 90's it must have presumably have been one of the more famous series. Does anyone have the slightest idea of what it could have been?
The second show would be the 2002 first season of Full Metal Panic, and the other I would guess to probably be Martian Successor Nadesico.
It's FEF, not FEOF

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32387 on: June 06, 2020, 07:59:45 am »

Sorry I forgot to respond to this because I have the attention span of a memento but thanks for the help. Unfortunately I don't think it's them (I do think the Full Metal Panic is the thing I remember the Full Metal Panic from, but I believe that was just a trailer on the video), but I appreciate it regardless.

And yes you are correct that it should have been the twenty-oh-oh's, not 90's. I mix when things happened up in my head sometimes when it comes to that.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32388 on: June 06, 2020, 08:04:52 am »

Looking over it, I see you mentioned "cop vat girls". Did you means cop cat girls there? If so, that's probably Hyper Police. If it is Hyper Police in the trailer then I think we could narrow down the timeframe for the other show you're looking for. If these shows were on VHS they must have shipped around the end of 2002, start of 2003 (which is when that was out on VHS) if they had Hyper Police trailers on them, since I doubt that show stuck around very long.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 08:18:27 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32389 on: June 06, 2020, 08:46:05 am »

Yes, it was supposed to be "cat" ;)

It wasn't hyper police, though. I'm not certain if they were actually cops, maybe just detectives or mercenaries or agents? It was a very gun and bullet and explosion focused trailer as far as I can remember ;)
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32390 on: June 06, 2020, 09:14:30 am »

Well there's one called Gunsmith Cats which is an old action OVA. Fits the bill on the other fronts. They're not actual catgirls in that one though, but you know how memory can combine stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp_6xoQE2WA

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32391 on: June 06, 2020, 10:20:35 am »

Ah yes, the first trailer on that was definitely it :D

Weird title certainly
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32392 on: June 06, 2020, 10:45:21 am »

Well the good news is that it narrows things down. ADV was the main distributor for Gunsmith Cats, in UK and North America, so the main show would most likely be something on this list:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=1150

Interestingly Marian Successor Nadesico is on that list and came out a few years later, so it would be possible that the Gunsmith Cats trailer found its way on there, so you're 100% sure that's not the one?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 10:50:30 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32393 on: June 06, 2020, 11:16:03 am »

I guess I'll have to give it a more thorough look. My first impressions could have been wrong.

Also I see the Tekken movie on there too. That was the second anime my brother owned but I was allowed to see that one. It, Sailor Moon and Samurai Pizza Ninja Cats (and that one just as a running joke in my family because of the name) made up like 99% of my childhood's anime experienced

Oh and Pokemon of course, though I didn't really understand that it too was anime until I was a little older because I was an little bit dumdum
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32394 on: June 06, 2020, 11:28:19 am »

Not at all. You know about the "Jelly Donuts" thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3KNAtmHov0

They're clearly fucking rice balls, but I guess if you repeat "they're jelly donuts" often enough then that's supposed to be more convincing. Up until the mid 90s they took extra special efforts to hide the Japanese origin of most series.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32395 on: June 06, 2020, 12:38:59 pm »

This anime detective stuff is pretty fascinating to watch.

They're clearly fucking rice balls, but I guess if you repeat "they're jelly donuts" often enough then that's supposed to be more convincing. Up until the mid 90s they took extra special efforts to hide the Japanese origin of most series.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32396 on: June 06, 2020, 03:22:11 pm »

I guess I'll have to give it a more thorough look. My first impressions could have been wrong.

Also I see the Tekken movie on there too. That was the second anime my brother owned but I was allowed to see that one.

I'm kinda guessing that whatever other anime he did have had a bucket-load of fan-service and/or nudity in it that he didn't want you to see.

And that would mean that it could have been an OVA series, and not a TV series, since OVAs from the 1990s were notable for getting away with a lot more violence and nudity than TV series, and there were a lot of those types of OVAs made back then. Gunsmith Cats was also an OVA series, so that would fit as well. Notably, Nadesico was a TV series, so this theory would rule it out. We can narrow it down then almost certainly to some late 1990s or early 2000s OVA series that has mecha + boobs.

Edit: I started looking at OVAs from the first quarter of 1995, and immediately came across Armitage III. 1995 OVA, set on Mars, labeled as mecha, with a lot of fanservice, episodes were also being released in a time-period overlapping Gunsmith Cats, so it's not unlikely they all got picked up around the same time, and the trailer reveals a similar genre. Also a pretty well-known title so there could have been copies floating around. However, looking back you did say that it was Mars with bunkers + mecha battles, so this one doesn't seem to quite fit that bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAj7o9IJBxQ
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 04:38:29 pm by Reelya »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32397 on: June 12, 2020, 10:27:15 am »

Granbelm is a really stupid show that I've decided I'm fond of. It's, like... 7/10 at best but man, it's kinda charming.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #32398 on: June 23, 2020, 02:49:17 pm »

Quote from: Someone on another (russian) forum about Tohsaka Rin
It just happened that an "ancient japanese lineage" traditionally practices and passes down through generations a "traditional german magic". Magic in general is a very conservative thing."
I'm sigging this.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 03:10:42 pm by MCreeper »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32399 on: July 02, 2020, 09:36:01 am »

Full Metal Panic was a weird one. They has a season of mechas, war and politics... and then a comedy season where one of the characters is acting as a bodyguard while dressed in a big teddy bear mascot suit.
Pages: 1 ... 2158 2159 [2160] 2161 2162 ... 2191