Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2165 2166 [2167] 2168 2169 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2764196 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32490 on: November 14, 2020, 07:43:47 am »

Vtuber stuff is super good and getting better. These Virtual Idols have really embraced their personas, giving consistently awesome content.

The vid where Korone and Okayu are singing together is legitimately awesome music as well, a lot of these girls have amazing singing chops.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32491 on: November 14, 2020, 08:25:17 am »

Gawr Gura is one of the most recent ones, she's part of the new Hololive English division, so more accessible for a lot of people, since you don't have to wait for people to sub clips of the Japanese VTubers. (Also veteran youtuber Nyanners recently got signed as a legit 3D VTuber, though I'm not that interested to follow her material).

Gawr Gura's character is a "shark girl" from Atlantis, debuted 2 months ago, has 1.33 million subscribers already. Each successive generation of characters is definitely hitting those targets far quicker now. Here's here doing a cover of Plastic Love, which seems to be of a genre that's recently rising in popularity too, 1980s Japanese 'City Pop', on a recent livestream. Whereas Korone is 'comically bad' at singing in an adorable way, Gawr Gura seems like she can actually sing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jQPwxP83Oo

She's cute however I don't think she's as meme-worthy as the prev. crop of VTubers, but she's picking up viewers because of the language thing.

Here's Gawr and another English VTuber having a Minecraft adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvUqcK9VZn8&t=2431s
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 08:37:08 am by Reelya »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #32492 on: November 14, 2020, 08:36:08 am »

Girls streaming minecraft while impersonating anime girls, complete with animated models... Jesus, that's so silly. Will watch, maybe.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32493 on: November 14, 2020, 08:53:39 am »

Jesus, that's so silly.

Isn't that just what 2020 needs however?

EDIT: I think this thing is basically going to explode much more next year. It's popular enough that related industries are going to want a piece of the pie. Hololive actual anime, when? But the question is whether this would even work as an anime adaptation. As Gigguk mentions in the overview video, he barely has time for anime this year as all his attention was taken by this Hololive stuff. So the whole general thing of "this thing is popular let's make an anime out of it" might not even work, if this stuff is more of a direct competitor for people's attention with anime than say mobile games.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 09:00:21 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32494 on: November 14, 2020, 09:10:31 am »

Gawr Gura is one of the most recent ones, she's part of the new Hololive English division, so more accessible for a lot of people, since you don't have to wait for people to sub clips of the Japanese VTubers. (Also veteran youtuber Nyanners recently got signed as a legit 3D VTuber, though I'm not that interested to follow her material).

Gawr Gura's character is a "shark girl" from Atlantis, debuted 2 months ago, has 1.33 million subscribers already. Each successive generation of characters is definitely hitting those targets far quicker now. Here's here doing a cover of Plastic Love, which seems to be of a genre that's recently rising in popularity too, 1980s Japanese 'City Pop', on a recent livestream. Whereas Korone is 'comically bad' at singing in an adorable way, Gawr Gura seems like she can actually sing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jQPwxP83Oo

She's cute however I don't think she's as meme-worthy as the prev. crop of VTubers, but she's picking up viewers because of the language thing.

Here's Gawr and another English VTuber having a Minecraft adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvUqcK9VZn8&t=2431s

Gawr is really good. I'm a total 'shrimp'.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32495 on: November 14, 2020, 10:18:28 am »

Jesus, that's so silly.

EDIT: I think this thing is basically going to explode much more next year. It's popular enough that related industries are going to want a piece of the pie. Hololive actual anime, when? But the question is whether this would even work as an anime adaptation. As Gigguk mentions in the overview video, he barely has time for anime this year as all his attention was taken by this Hololive stuff. So the whole general thing of "this thing is popular let's make an anime out of it" might not even work, if this stuff is more of a direct competitor for people's attention with anime than say mobile games.

I'm not sure it will explode in the fashion of anime, but if Hololive's mapping software is somehow leaked, or if someone releases a similar program without being proprietary, the standard facecam will mostly disappear (or become niche, as streamers that don't facecam at all are at the moment) and things will level out to a new normal with everyone just being virtual-tubers. There's got to be a lot of suits in the entertainment industry salivating over a slice of this pie.

The next big leap is going to be replicating voices, and god, will I ever hate that. I already detest the standard immature cutesey voices on female characters in anime, a trend which carries over even into dubs, but imagine if vtubers now just license and replicate all the popular anime characters instead of just using their own human voices. (The trash taste podcast covered this a little in their newest episode where they had Mori Calliope - one of the HololiveEN characters - as a guest.)

Well, I guess it won't make much of a difference to me since I don't actually watch streams all that much. The occasional clips are fine, but I don't know how people watch the same streamer 2 hours a day, 10 hours a week.

I guess there will also always be a demand for "natural" streamers, as I think the desire to avoid a manufactured personality that most entertainers have is part of the drive toward streaming. To be sure, major top-earning streamers have benefited from playing a character, or at least tweaking their on-air personality, but the bulk of streamers - the ones that only make a few thousand a year doing it - are more sincere.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32496 on: November 14, 2020, 10:34:27 am »

Jesus, that's so silly.

I'm not sure it will explode in the fashion of anime, but if Hololive's mapping software is somehow leaked, or if someone releases a similar program without being proprietary, the standard facecam will mostly disappear (or become niche, as streamers that don't facecam at all are at the moment) and things will level out to a new normal with everyone just being virtual-tubers. There's got to be a lot of suits in the entertainment industry salivating over a slice of this pie.

You can already buy Facerig on steam, its been there for a while.  I'd say the bigger barrier to entry is actually finding and paying an artist to model up a good looking anime character for you or whatever.  There's already many non-hololive v-tubers, even some unaffiliated with any corp if you go digging deep enough.  I follow "Artemis of the Blue", who as far as I'm aware is indie.

That said I do find them entertaining enough, although unless you're dishing out the big bucks to be noticed its a waste of time to actually watch live.  Its inevitable when streams just have too many viewers, stream chat is basically unreadable.  Phantasmaphobia (or whatever its called, the jank ghost hunting game) is damn hilarious as collab bait.  Watson and Gura make good partners in crime (sometimes literally), and Ina's pretty chill.  I don't pay much attention to the pure Japanese ones, though.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32497 on: November 14, 2020, 10:57:26 am »

The best thing about it is that it opens up the market for these characters, and lets people that normally wouldn't be able to be idols, be idols. I mean, your real life idol is subject to scathing public scrutiny, and has to have a young age, good looks, good voice, and entertaining talent; the concept of the Vtuber removes the first two of those, so it is totally possible that the cute anime girl you like is actually an old woman that just has cute voice and the ability to stay in character for long periods of time. This expands the pool of talent that can be accessed and allows for better Vtubers over time.

It also really irons out the sharps edges of fame, in that these performers are much freer to live double lives: normal woman by day, animal-themed anime girl by night who is famous with thousands of fans.

The concept of Vtuber allows for a whole new level to online performance art, it's great.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32498 on: November 14, 2020, 11:12:58 am »

I'm sure that's a really big part of it, just being able to separate yourself from an online persona.  Especially with women who inevitably attract unscrupulous types.  I'd assumed that's a big reason why hololive streamers banded together, other than the presumed tax or legal/copyright reasons.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32499 on: November 14, 2020, 02:17:56 pm »

It wasn't as organic as you're implying. Hololive is an agency, they had auditions and stuff. So there's a company behind this. These are not independent streamers who made a decision to band together.

But, the content is much more freeform and unscripted than previous VTubers such as Kizuna Ai. My guess is that the streamers earn revenue and Hololive the agency gets a commission from those earnings, while providing the tech support, modelling etc.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 02:25:49 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32500 on: November 14, 2020, 05:41:40 pm »

Blood of Zeus on Netflix was a solid meh
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32501 on: November 14, 2020, 05:43:38 pm »

Blood of Zeus on Netflix was a solid meh

I've only seen the first episode.  My heroclix buds like it but it didn't really hook me.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32502 on: November 15, 2020, 09:35:52 am »

What do you guys use to watch anime anyways? In China we mostly use Bilibili which is basically youtube except you can watch anime and stuff.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32503 on: November 19, 2020, 09:52:52 pm »

Mostly downloading, as my streaming suck and I don't want to deal with buffering all the time.

VTuber / Cute. Someone summarized the Pekora / Moona Minecraft 'story' arc. Very endearing (7 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foeduTWMTks

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32504 on: November 19, 2020, 10:07:12 pm »

I've started up Haikyuu and I'm really lovin' in so far. It's in that same vein of 'highschool boys doing sports REAL GOOD' that Diamond no Ace and Yowapedal were in that I'm a total sucker for. Back when I was in highschool, I was so asthmatic that just doing warmups had me gasping and sucking on my inhaler; but if I wasn't such an invalid, it'd have been cool to have done some kind of sport. I just really crave the kind of camaraderie and passion that oozes out of these kinds of shows.
Pages: 1 ... 2165 2166 [2167] 2168 2169 ... 2191