Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2166 2167 [2168] 2169 2170 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763643 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32505 on: November 19, 2020, 10:19:57 pm »

Join the Haikyuu fangirl army. Actually, a lot of those Shonen sports series actually track better with girls than boys according to Shonen Jump's own user metrics. For example, Kuruko's Basketball is another one in that vein. There was a review of that by some geek girl I forget, but the gist was that she didn't like anime, nor did she like Basketball, but someone put her onto that and she got addicted, and that opened her up to watching other similar series. Which sums up the appeal of a lot of these series: "I'm not interested in <Hobby X> but somehow this anime about <Hobby X> makes it so appealing. These types of ones are good gateway series for "pilling" people onto anime, especially if they have preconceptions about the types of shows that exist.

On that note, I got around to watching Long Riders which is an all-girl cycling anime, i think they're freshman college age instead of highschoolers. It was pretty basic and refreshing and at the end, I really wanted there to be a second season, which is always a good sign. Scores are pretty low for this series but I think part of that is because it's not they type of series where they're winning big races etc, but more about personal achievement. And those types of sports series don't tend to as high user scores as the more exciting ones with dramatic races etc. But it's one if it had gone longer they could have done more of that in the second+ season. For example, consider if Yowapedal had merely finished at episode 12, around when he had the first major personal breakthrough or something.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 10:30:41 pm by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32506 on: November 20, 2020, 10:10:05 am »

I can easily believe Kuroko's Basketball appealed to girls more than boys. Kuroko's a nice protagonist, it doesn't lean on fanservice, and the plot is pretty great.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32507 on: November 22, 2020, 03:03:58 pm »

Kinda had to share this one, Hololive / Minecraft sports day (20 mins). Never seen so many of them together at once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP9j1WdfnHo
They've seriously got some great builds on their server, a lot of work went into this.

EDIT
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 05:37:37 pm by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32508 on: November 24, 2020, 04:29:03 pm »

Someone suggested to watch Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear.

Fifteen-year-old Yuna prefers staying home and obsessively playing her favorite VRMMO to doing anything else, including going to school. When a strange new update gives her a one-of-a-kind bear outfit that comes with overpowered abilities, Yuna is torn: the outfit is unbearably cute, but too embarrassing to wear in-game. But then she suddenly finds herself transported into the world of the game, facing down monsters and magic for real, and the bear suit becomes the best weapon she has!

I'm kinda thinking she has bear hand-puppets but they come alive and turn into battle-bears and she can ride them, from some of the artwork. Absolutely terrifying battle bears.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:32:07 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32509 on: November 24, 2020, 05:48:33 pm »

Don't recall the hand things coming alive, no. There's bear summons and suchlike involved but the suit coming off mostly means her losing power.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32510 on: November 24, 2020, 09:20:56 pm »

Ok, so she has a bear suit, bear hand puppets and actual bears. I guess that explains the three Kuma's in the title.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32511 on: November 24, 2020, 09:26:26 pm »

The hand puppets are part of the suit, actually. The bear summons are part of the suite of OP powers the suit grants.

The three kumas is a native language joke, iirc. If I'm remembering right it's the same word spelled/written or pronounced differently or something like that. There's not really a deeper meaning or specific reference, it's just a joke/pun/wordplay thing.

But yeah, bear suit, bear summons, bear magic blasts, bear houses, iirc a bear themed restaurant. The main character's word is bear, their sign is bear, their symbol is bear. Bear bear bear bear bear. They start off not wanting the bear but godlike power comes from the bear so their existence becomes the all powerful bear onesie of cash shop victory something something something.

it's honestly one the better lighthearted OP isekai works hahabear
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:30:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32512 on: November 24, 2020, 09:35:31 pm »

It looks like the Kuma is just written as Hiragana first, then katakana, then kanji. So it's just a spelling thing really. Should be pronounced the same every time, and the meaning isn't actually changing. Bear is then written in katakana since that's a foreign word. Kuma in katakana would be especially meaningless since katakana is generally for foreign words and onomatopoeia rather than Japanese words.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:37:29 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32513 on: November 24, 2020, 10:42:32 pm »

that sounds

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32514 on: November 25, 2020, 09:32:06 pm »

Finally getting around to watching Oregairu S3, but boy is it hard. Feels like quality took a nosedive compared to S2. Animation seems simpler, character designs aren't as sharp, Hachiman seems to act quite different (which I'm not sure is due to S3 being bad or S2 being an inaccurate adaptation from the LN). The English voice acting seems okay (baring, I guess, the actors aging 5 years from S2) but the voice direction is worse, filled with the annoying para-language (gasps, hums, etc) anime trope that either wasn't present in the S2 dub or just wasn't as prominent, and it all feels unnatural: characters react in sequence rather that at the same time.

If this is a result of production problems due to the pandemic, I wish they'd have delayed it until they could have given it the same level of treatment as S2.

Or maybe it's just rose glasses that make me think S2 was better.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:51:17 pm by Niveras »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32515 on: November 25, 2020, 09:56:05 pm »

Yeah it would be nice to delay stuff but I get the feeling many of the companies wouldn't survive that. A lot of TV anime studios are literally only a few episodes ahead of broadcast dates, and margins are razor thin.

Just another thing about 2020.

As for the voice acting being different, well I'd have to check that out with the subbed version, see if it's something specific to the original vs whoever is doing the dub. How a character comes off can be heavily affected by the dub, even if the script is the same. With Hachiman being a cynic, it would be easy to skirt the line from resigned cynic to haughty asshole pretty easily just by inflecting the lines differently.

I never thought it's the genre that particularly gets hi-res graphics however, so maybe catch some middle episodes from season 2 to refresh on how those look.

filled with the annoying para-language (gasps, hums, etc) anime trope

Is this a dub-specific thing? Maybe that's due to having to pad things out to allow for differences in the pacing of the language when it's translated. If it is anime-specific that's probably because anime is the largest segment of overseas dubbed content people are familiar with.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 10:09:05 pm by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32516 on: November 25, 2020, 10:44:36 pm »

I found someone that has done some awesome MMD interpretations of Vtuber moments. Just these two vids just blew me away at how perfect the body language and facial expressions are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUR0Wr-MhVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzCJYLftNhg

The guy's channel is full of stuff like that, but those two were my favorites.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32517 on: November 25, 2020, 11:17:40 pm »

As for the voice acting being different, well I'd have to check that out with the subbed version, see if it's something specific to the original vs whoever is doing the dub. How a character comes off can be heavily affected by the dub, even if the script is the same. With Hachiman being a cynic, it would be easy to skirt the line from resigned cynic to haughty asshole pretty easily just by inflecting the lines differently.

No, it's much beyond simple line readings, it is part of the animation. Two examples: 1) Hachiman geeks out over seeing a vending machine styled in the form of his favored canned coffee brand. He's almost a starry-eyed teenager swooning over meeting a pop idol in person. 2) While in class, he gets a message that the results of the entrance exams have been posted. He immediately jumps from his chair and breathlessly runs to view the postings to confirm whether his sister passed or not. While his affection for his sister is cloaked by cynical jibes (with Komachi returning as much as she takes), the energy expenditure in these scenes well exceed anything he's shown previously. As I say, maybe the LN showed more of this side of him earlier and it just wasn't included in the S1 and S2 adaptations, making it seem inconsistent when they do include some of it.

Comparatively, a bit later, he also runs to help Yukinoshita, but that was a time-sensitive matter and he had some distance to cover. Maybe there's a cultural disconnect and I just don't understand the urgency in knowing the results of a high school entrance exam.

filled with the annoying para-language (gasps, hums, etc) anime trope

Is this a dub-specific thing? Maybe that's due to having to pad things out to allow for differences in the pacing of the language when it's translated. If it is anime-specific that's probably because anime is the largest segment of overseas dubbed content people are familiar with.

As I understand it, it is a Japanese thing, but it gets ported into dubs where it is extremely out of place. English speakers have their own sub-verbal vocalizations, of course, but to simply copy them 1:1 from the original language just doesn't work. It sounds unnatural. It's not due to padding; if anything, English translations are often feel rushed to me, presumably because it is trying to translate a concept or phrase that is easily or quickly communicated but has no simple equivalent in English. I certainly hope they're not adding extra sounds that didn't exist in the original just to pad a scene, but then there is other behavior in dub translations that don't make sense to me either, so what do I know.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32518 on: November 25, 2020, 11:34:10 pm »

Maybe if you could recommend a specific scene out of that show where they do that we could have a look at the same clip from the Japanese version and see how it compares.

EDIT
https://gamerant.com/doom-eternal-vtuber-easter-egg-gone/
The Easter egg in question is a nod to Japanese Virtual YouTuber Inugami Korone. The Hololive vtuber played through Doom in 2016 and her fans created the meme "DOOG" to celebrate it. Korone's digital avatar is a dog, after all. To celebrate her playthrough, and perhaps id's love of vtubers in general, the studio added a "DOOG ETERNAL" Easter egg in Doom Eternal. Players just needed to activate the chainsaw four times from Doom Eternal's rune selection screen and a Doog Eternal logo would be shown.

What's odd isn't the addition of the Doog Eternal Easter egg, though. It's that id has decided to remove the Easter egg. In id's 3.1 patch notes, published on October 23, id announced that "The DOOG easter egg has been removed, but will live in infamy." id goes on to explain that it was surprised how quickly the Doom community was able to find the Easter egg. The implication being that it was the discovery of the DOOG Easter egg that led to id removing it.

The article gets the year wrong however, this shit didn't exist in 2016.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:58:05 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32519 on: November 26, 2020, 12:52:27 pm »

1) Hachiman geeks out over seeing a vending machine styled in the form of his favored canned coffee brand. He's almost a starry-eyed teenager swooning over meeting a pop idol in person.

Dunno about the LN but I'm pretty sure this happens in the manga too, mostly for laughs with the way Hachiman doesn't really care about anything else.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 2166 2167 [2168] 2169 2170 ... 2191