Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2168 2169 [2170] 2171

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2097867 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32535 on: January 19, 2021, 09:23:12 am »

The Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka? anime is shaping up to be absolutely excellent. My only gripe is that the classmates get too much screentime.
It's good so far. I'm watching it in part because I found the LN to get fairly tedious after a bit, and I'm hoping the anime gets through things a bit more rapidly. I think the inclusion of the other classmates is a reasonable way to break it up, but I have no idea where they intend the season climax to be.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32536 on: January 27, 2021, 11:19:00 am »

The next season of Dr. Stone is upon us, and I have to say it tickles my craving for the one type of fantasy I love above all others: a world where people behave rationally. Like, Senku will be explaining his plan, and I can't help but think "That's so cute Senku, you're a great scientist but an absolutely piss poor judge of people. You come up with these plans, but they rely on people not flipping the fuck out and behaving in an irrational way." but of course he lives in anime-land and can count on a level of sanity that doesn't exist in reality.

It reminds me a lot of Cells At Work, where everyone is hardworking and utilitarian. The characters in the show are just personified cells, sure, they don't have any actual agency whatsoever, but it is so soothing to watch the show and think about it.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32537 on: February 10, 2021, 08:44:51 pm »

Sword Art Online: Alicization has ended.

Next arc is supposedly the finale. I'm going to miss Kirito and his harem.

Alicization brought some interesting concepts that really helped push the world forward, and I appreciate that. On the big-picture side of things, I definitely enjoyed this arc.
The fine details though...oof. Pretty much every encounter involved some bad guy pulling out some ridiculous power that made no sense within the context of the setting, and then our heroes pulling out an even more ridiculous and less sensical power with absolutely no explanation for where it came from and simply 1-shotting the bad guy, because good>evil.

I hear that the novels have a lot of side stories which fill in gaps and explain these things to some extent. That's hardly justification for such gross oversights in the anime though.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32538 on: February 10, 2021, 09:45:47 pm »

Cells At Work Season 2 is finally out on CR, and more importantly, Cells At Work BLACK is coming out alongside it. It's the perfect one-two punch of wholesome & cute utopia, then hopeless & miserable dystopia.

Not just the themes and moods, but the art styles are different too, and they just play off eachother so perfectly. I'm really looking forward to keeping up on both of them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32539 on: February 11, 2021, 02:33:21 am »

and then our heroes pulling out an even more ridiculous and less sensical power with absolutely no explanation for where it came from and simply 1-shotting the bad guy, because good>evil.

Kirito knew the Spirit Bomb all along, duh! (Or alt-future Trunks' sword version thing, I guess.)

Next season we will learn how high their midi-chlorian counts are.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:41:35 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • having a raging loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32540 on: February 12, 2021, 03:56:10 pm »

Cells At Work Season 2 is finally out on CR, and more importantly, Cells At Work BLACK is coming out alongside it. It's the perfect one-two punch of wholesome & cute utopia, then hopeless & miserable dystopia.

Not just the themes and moods, but the art styles are different too, and they just play off eachother so perfectly. I'm really looking forward to keeping up on both of them.
Would Black just be the Osmosis Jones movie?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32541 on: February 12, 2021, 05:22:05 pm »

Would Black just be the Osmosis Jones movie?

It would be like Osmosis Jones x Grave of the Fireflies. That's a little hyperbolistic on my part, but it's not far off.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32542 on: March 08, 2021, 09:42:53 pm »

Yo I watched that Demon Slayer thing on Netflix and that was super enjoyable.

No wait except for
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:48:38 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32543 on: March 14, 2021, 09:27:48 am »

I've been watching Jujutsu Kaisen, and while I love me a good shonen I've been very reluctant to recommend it. Something has always just felt a little 'off' about it, disqualifying it from serious recommendation. One of the latest episodes: "Jujutsu Koshien" has convinced me though, this is a really great show with a lot of thought put into it.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32544 on: April 21, 2021, 05:32:44 am »

Hello, I'm looking for some anime recommendations, to be honest I haven't watched that many titles, most of them I didn't like or dropped partway through for other reasons, the ones I really liked are JoJo, Madoka Magica, Kaiji. Preferably I'm after shorter titles, 23-26 episodes at most, 12 would be ideal. In terms of genre and theme it can be anything but sports I think, though experimentally it was established that I'm into action/drama/thriller, but other kinds of shows are also welcome (except sports!). It doesn't matter whether it's an older or recent title provided it is good and not too long (I doubt I would be able to stomach 200-300 eps of Gintama for example) and not a sports anime.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32545 on: April 21, 2021, 06:59:38 am »

Ergo Proxy! But skip the Beatnick Library episode ;)
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32546 on: April 21, 2021, 04:33:24 pm »

Hello, I'm looking for some anime recommendations, to be honest I haven't watched that many titles, most of them I didn't like or dropped partway through for other reasons, the ones I really liked are JoJo, Madoka Magica, Kaiji. Preferably I'm after shorter titles, 23-26 episodes at most, 12 would be ideal. In terms of genre and theme it can be anything but sports I think, though experimentally it was established that I'm into action/drama/thriller, but other kinds of shows are also welcome (except sports!). It doesn't matter whether it's an older or recent title provided it is good and not too long (I doubt I would be able to stomach 200-300 eps of Gintama for example) and not a sports anime.

If you like Madoka, maybe Evangelion?
nonbinary/genderqueer renegade mathematician and former mafia subforum badass.

don't quote me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32547 on: April 21, 2021, 04:52:25 pm »

Just go for tried and true Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no yaiba.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32548 on: April 21, 2021, 06:20:39 pm »

If you like Madoka, maybe Evangelion?

Psycho-pass Season 1 is another work made by the same creator. Don't watch any other stuff in the franchise.

Baccano is a fun story about a train robbery, loaded with interesting characters. The first episode is a mess unfortunately, but it picks up right after episode 2.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:22:37 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #32549 on: April 21, 2021, 08:04:28 pm »

Yo I watched that Demon Slayer thing on Netflix and that was super enjoyable.

No wait except for
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've been following the manga up to ~Vol. 14 and he gets better.

That's one thing it definitely has going for it, even the relatively short-lived characters have at least a decent stab at rounded characterization. Zenitsu, Inosuke, Kanae, and who knows how many others start off looking like one-notes. Zenitsu and Inosuke, I think, take longer to develop because they get a lot of screentime and aren't slated to get killed off a few chapters after being introduced so there's less pressure to peel away layers immediately.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 2168 2169 [2170] 2171