Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2167 2168 [2169] 2170 2171 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763626 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32520 on: November 26, 2020, 12:57:39 pm »

I'd probably agree here. Saying that it's out of character to get excited about something because he's a character known for not getting excited about things doesn't sound realistic. Real people do in fact do unexpected things, far more unexpected than most fictional people.

With "almost ... a starry eyed teenager". Remember he is in fact really a teenager. Being disaffected all the time is a type of defense mechanism. He see something he really likes and the facade slips, that's what they were conveying.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:56:41 pm by Reelya »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32521 on: December 18, 2020, 08:24:22 pm »

I've started up Haikyuu and I'm really lovin' in so far. It's in that same vein of 'highschool boys doing sports REAL GOOD' that Diamond no Ace and Yowapedal were in that I'm a total sucker for. Back when I was in highschool, I was so asthmatic that just doing warmups had me gasping and sucking on my inhaler; but if I wasn't such an invalid, it'd have been cool to have done some kind of sport. I just really crave the kind of camaraderie and passion that oozes out of these kinds of shows.

I suspect you will like Ping-Pong: The Animation.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32522 on: December 19, 2020, 03:21:28 am »

I've watched that from beginning to end like 5+ times :) Always makes me want to play some ping pong.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32523 on: December 19, 2020, 12:48:15 pm »

Excellent. Did you try the manga too? I hear it's also good. Haven't read it yet though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32524 on: December 19, 2020, 01:11:31 pm »

All this time, and I thought that Ping Pong was anime-only... honestly, I should have checked, it's just that the art style made it seem like it wasn't adapted from a manga, so I assumed it wasn't. I'll have to look up the manga for sure.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32525 on: December 19, 2020, 02:43:47 pm »

I know, right? I feel kind of similarly about Mob Psycho 100. "Someone . . . drew this? And you published it?"

I'm excited to hear how it is. Don't have time right now to check it out myself, but . . . maybe someday . . .

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #32526 on: January 08, 2021, 10:58:46 am »

The Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka? anime is shaping up to be absolutely excellent. My only gripe is that the classmates get too much screentime.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32527 on: January 08, 2021, 11:37:03 am »

Nice! The manga definitely lends itself to adaptation, a well-done one actually makes me want to check it out.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32528 on: January 08, 2021, 01:57:53 pm »

Didn't even realize there was an anime for it coming out. The LN or whatever it is is pretty adorable (airheaded red in tooth and claw with status screens is apparently my jam, it turns out), and the manga I managed to get ordered for the place I work was pretty nice, so... might actually see about checking it out. Been a while since I watched much animated...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #32529 on: January 09, 2021, 07:23:07 am »

Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka?
For some reason i thought it was about tiny pink spider sulking in a corner.

Got a weird thought: is there a Bored of the Rings-style parody on Fate? I'm sure there is something better than that even in seemingly numerous and succesfull franchise-milking attempts, but i'm morbidly curious about BotR specifically. And maybe this better thing while we are at it.  :P
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 07:28:05 am by MCreeper »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32530 on: January 19, 2021, 09:23:12 am »

The Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka? anime is shaping up to be absolutely excellent. My only gripe is that the classmates get too much screentime.
It's good so far. I'm watching it in part because I found the LN to get fairly tedious after a bit, and I'm hoping the anime gets through things a bit more rapidly. I think the inclusion of the other classmates is a reasonable way to break it up, but I have no idea where they intend the season climax to be.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32531 on: January 27, 2021, 11:19:00 am »

The next season of Dr. Stone is upon us, and I have to say it tickles my craving for the one type of fantasy I love above all others: a world where people behave rationally. Like, Senku will be explaining his plan, and I can't help but think "That's so cute Senku, you're a great scientist but an absolutely piss poor judge of people. You come up with these plans, but they rely on people not flipping the fuck out and behaving in an irrational way." but of course he lives in anime-land and can count on a level of sanity that doesn't exist in reality.

It reminds me a lot of Cells At Work, where everyone is hardworking and utilitarian. The characters in the show are just personified cells, sure, they don't have any actual agency whatsoever, but it is so soothing to watch the show and think about it.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32532 on: February 10, 2021, 08:44:51 pm »

Sword Art Online: Alicization has ended.

Next arc is supposedly the finale. I'm going to miss Kirito and his harem.

Alicization brought some interesting concepts that really helped push the world forward, and I appreciate that. On the big-picture side of things, I definitely enjoyed this arc.
The fine details though...oof. Pretty much every encounter involved some bad guy pulling out some ridiculous power that made no sense within the context of the setting, and then our heroes pulling out an even more ridiculous and less sensical power with absolutely no explanation for where it came from and simply 1-shotting the bad guy, because good>evil.

I hear that the novels have a lot of side stories which fill in gaps and explain these things to some extent. That's hardly justification for such gross oversights in the anime though.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32533 on: February 10, 2021, 09:45:47 pm »

Cells At Work Season 2 is finally out on CR, and more importantly, Cells At Work BLACK is coming out alongside it. It's the perfect one-two punch of wholesome & cute utopia, then hopeless & miserable dystopia.

Not just the themes and moods, but the art styles are different too, and they just play off eachother so perfectly. I'm really looking forward to keeping up on both of them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32534 on: February 11, 2021, 02:33:21 am »

and then our heroes pulling out an even more ridiculous and less sensical power with absolutely no explanation for where it came from and simply 1-shotting the bad guy, because good>evil.

Kirito knew the Spirit Bomb all along, duh! (Or alt-future Trunks' sword version thing, I guess.)

Next season we will learn how high their midi-chlorian counts are.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:41:35 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 2167 2168 [2169] 2170 2171 ... 2191