Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2169 2170 [2171] 2172 2173 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2762785 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32550 on: April 26, 2021, 10:50:06 am »

What were you consuming before? Merely above average amounts?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #32551 on: April 26, 2021, 11:54:09 am »

Schlock which you enjoy consuming isn't... well okay it's still schlock, but that doesn't make it wrong to enjoy it! :p
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32552 on: April 26, 2021, 12:18:39 pm »

Well he is giving money to the companies that make this crap. It incentivizes them to keep making it rather than making something good.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #32553 on: April 26, 2021, 12:24:36 pm »

Well he is giving money to the companies that make this crap.
Not necessarily! ☠️
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32554 on: April 26, 2021, 04:40:42 pm »

What were you consuming before? Merely above average amounts?
I was consuming huge amounts of cute girls doing cute things, which as we all know is the highest of taste.

Well he is giving money to the companies that make this crap. It incentivizes them to keep making it rather than making something good.
Why pay when the superior product is free?

Although honestly, the glory days of fansubs are long gone.

McGee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32555 on: April 28, 2021, 07:06:25 am »

A good comedy anime is a good way to relax. Especially lately

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32556 on: May 16, 2021, 06:49:46 pm »

So I recently discovered [and shortly afterwards burned (eheheh) trough] Fire Force. It's pretty damn solid shonen stuff. I have some nitpicks and issues with certain things but I feel that might just be me getting somewhat tired of certain tropes I keep seeing over the past however many years I've been watching this stuff.

Also they have a rather special approach to fanservice, where they have an entire character with an 'ability' that is played for comedy as much as it is for fanservice. It's a damn shame that she's kinda relegated to that role for like 2 full seasons and gets like a sliver of development right before the end of the second one. And certain times that it's used for comedy are really fucking messed up and come out of left field (that one particular scene in season one is probably the worst example of this), it almost feels like whoever was making this was told they had to have a minimum amount of fanservice shots so they went full malicious compliance mode and inserted it into the most absurd and horrible places imaginable :V

And can we please stop escalating speeds to the point where you can only see flashes of impact and still images of the fighters. I get that it's supposed to be terrifying that someone can move that fast and that it's cheaper and easier to animate that way. But bloody hell when you have some superb animation and fight direction that's just a delight to watch (one of my personal favorites is Maki's first time with Tekkyo, terrifying and hilarious at the same time) it feels like such a waste to have it evolve into a handful of flashes and shit :(

Anyways, fairly solid stuff, can't wait for more, hopefully we get more eventually, been a while since I was particularly excited to see more of a series. Been a ton of solid stuff that I got hooked on early but by the second or third season it kinda petered out for various reasons so it's more just finishing something to see it trough rather than being excited for the next episode :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #32557 on: May 19, 2021, 12:29:16 pm »

Re: Demon Slayer:

Zenitsu is indeed annoying as hell but he's one of my favorite characters TBH. They do a good job of rounding him out without just excusing all his flaws, and the story pits him against them in interesting ways.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32558 on: May 21, 2021, 02:11:52 am »

I watched through the available episodes of Odd Taxi today, and it's an awesome show. It's unpopular, and for a goddamn good reason though: it doesn't advertise what it actually IS nearly well enough to attract people to watch it.

You see, if you were to take screenshots of the show without context and show them to me (or anyone) and ask them what the show is about, you'd probably get something like "It's like Zootopia." or "It's a sketch comedy show with animal people." but you'd be deadass wrong. From second 1 the show makes it clear that this is HARD DRAMA. Get your expectations out of here because this show doesn't need'em, you're gonna get smartly written, COLLOQUIAL-AS-FUCK dialogue whether you like it or not. 

You'd never expect, at all, from looking at the synopsis or artwork, that this show was so goddamn serious. I'd consider that bad marketing, but that tonal whiplash makes it really satisfying artistically. I can't wait for more episodes to come out.

My only gripe is that apparently nobody told the guys making the ED just how dramatic the show is, so we get one episode where some serious shit is going down, the episode ends with a gun being pointed at a character's head, and the show cuts to a happy, candy-flavored song that couldn't be more out-of-place if it tried. Goes hand-in-hand with the rest of the tonal whiplash of the show though, so there's that.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32559 on: May 21, 2021, 02:51:16 am »

My only gripe is that apparently nobody told the guys making the ED just how dramatic the show is, so we get one episode where some serious shit is going down, the episode ends with a gun being pointed at a character's head, and the show cuts to a happy, candy-flavored song that couldn't be more out-of-place if it tried. Goes hand-in-hand with the rest of the tonal whiplash of the show though, so there's that.

I loved that about the OP of Narutaru. Cheerful song with the characters all dancing around happily, and then the actual show starts and we see teens getting deleted by each other in hardcore pokemon duels that serve only as precursor to a literal apocalypse. I found the dichotomy amusing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32560 on: May 21, 2021, 09:31:35 am »

I watched through the available episodes of Odd Taxi today, and it's an awesome show. It's unpopular, and for a goddamn good reason though: it doesn't advertise what it actually IS nearly well enough to attract people to watch it.
Y'know, screenshots of that made me think: Hearing peripherals (ear buds, headphones, etc.) would probably be a pretty interesting industry with lots of anthros walking around. We mostly get by due to largely similar ear and head and neck structure, but in a world like that anime... you don't have that. Like, at all. It would probably make things pretty complicated.

Noise disturbance laws would also be wonky when there's a wild spread of hearing sensitivity, too, now that I think about it.

... could swear I've read something that involves that sort of thing as a plot point or background detail, but hell if I can recall where...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32561 on: May 27, 2021, 08:00:11 am »

Just heard that Kentaro Miura passed away this month. Fuck. He was pretty young too, poor guy.

At least he got them off the boat.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32562 on: May 29, 2021, 12:19:31 pm »

Just heard that Kentaro Miura passed away this month. Fuck. He was pretty young too, poor guy.

At least he got them off the boat.

There was a vigil in FFXIV. Hundreds upon hundreds of Dark Knights (greatsword class) lined the streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5q7IdO0nnI

Hyperion server's (mine) was like, 3x the size of this one. EDIT: This was closer to ours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3QVIQC8AP0
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 04:29:17 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32563 on: May 29, 2021, 12:36:40 pm »

That is oddly touching.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32564 on: June 28, 2021, 11:07:41 pm »

The finales of the anime I'm watching this season are this week, and they're all awesome. Thunderbolt Fantasy: awesome, can't wait for the next season. Oddtaxi: stellar, and a killer cliffhanger to boot. To Your Eternity: it's gonna take an eternity to get another season I can feel it. Burning Kabaddi: I don't know if this'll ever get continued, but it was cool while it lasted.

This season has just been really good.
Pages: 1 ... 2169 2170 [2171] 2172 2173 ... 2191