Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2170 2171 [2172] 2173 2174 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2762967 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32565 on: July 19, 2021, 08:29:18 pm »

Mairimashita Iruma-kun has been incredibly cute up to now, but it seems there is plot incoming... Will it be short as in the first season? Has anyone read the manga?
In a time before time, I had a name.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #32566 on: July 22, 2021, 12:22:17 pm »

Spoiler: Iruma-kun spoilers (click to show/hide)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #32567 on: July 26, 2021, 03:24:41 am »

I have managed to suggest with my regular friend group that we watch anime. After a few months of sticking to streaming games on discord we finally moved on to watching shows together. Slowly, I end up basically being the go to for show suggestions, and after getting asked to have something on that is longer than one or two seasons I go ahead and suggest Symphogear.

The trap is sprung, and there is no escape. I suspect they'll be telling others to watch Symphogear too now.

(But seriously this is also just an excuse for me to rewatch the series, and we got past the good but rough first season)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32568 on: July 26, 2021, 02:12:20 pm »

So how are they liking the show so far? Seeing that you guys made it past the first season.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #32569 on: July 27, 2021, 01:44:46 am »

So far so good. The friend that mentioned wanting to watch something a little longer is pretty glad we are watching something with a fair few amount of episodes to it than just 2 seasons, since he always wanted to watch the season after that didn't exist yet (see dorohedoro)

Second friend was on board with the first episode and they liked the next episode more and more.

Third had some misgivings about it at first, but stuck with it through the end and was a fan by the end of the last 2 episodes.

Everyone is on board with the Symphogear G now, especially now that the production of the show from animation to music is a lot smoother, and we are diving right into villains with people to people fight scenes.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32570 on: August 17, 2021, 08:14:28 pm »

Odd Taxi was really good. Really interesting cast of characters. Season 2 of Zombie Land Saga was great as well. Both shows had great music.

I’ve been recently watching Dirty Pair 1985. It’s a really fun show to watch. I’m up to episode 9 so far. The opening song is a banger. RUSSIAN RUSSIAN
Found out about Dirty Pair while skimming at retro anime music compilation on youtube. I decided to give the series a try after seeing a clip on youtube.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32571 on: August 21, 2021, 08:18:39 am »

I've finished Madoka and I've nearly finished Legend of the Galactic Heroes, two series which have sat on my "how the fuck haven't I watched these already" list for too long, alongside my "how haven't I finished reading Dune yet?" booklist.
I got to say, normally I skip the end credits. But LOGH suckered me in so hard with the end credits that I got goosebumps.

I also staked a fuck ton of my credibility by pitching the above two animes to my brother. He's always taken my recommendations as gospel because I've never recommended a bad show to him. Now I've pitched him Romance of the Three Kingdoms, the Young Pope, so a space war epic was an easy sell. But he warned me that I was risking all of my credibility on Magical Girl Madoka. I told him tearfully, that I know how bad it sounds, but he has to believe me! XD

*EDIT
The finales of the anime I'm watching this season are this week, and they're all awesome. Thunderbolt Fantasy: awesome, can't wait for the next season.
I managed to harass all of my friends into watching Thunderbolt Fantasy. Such a stellar show, and it was comfy to watch it along with /a/. One of my friends didn't get why I was so uncomfortable with him comparing me to Duck until he saw what happened between him and Screaming Pheonix Killer
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 08:20:27 am by Loud Whispers »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32572 on: August 21, 2021, 01:18:09 pm »

*EDIT
The finales of the anime I'm watching this season are this week, and they're all awesome. Thunderbolt Fantasy: awesome, can't wait for the next season.
I managed to harass all of my friends into watching Thunderbolt Fantasy. Such a stellar show, and it was comfy to watch it along with /a/. One of my friends didn't get why I was so uncomfortable with him comparing me to Duck until he saw what happened between him and Screaming Pheonix Killer

I had to look it up, I didn't know "Duck" or "Vape Duck" was a nickname for the Enigmatic Gale? I'm not sure how that one came about.

Regardless, I'm always quick espouse the awesomeness to all my friends as well. To anyone that'll listen, really. Even for people that like anime, however, the hurdle of watching puppets is always a hard sell. It's a challenge I'm willing to tackle as many times as it takes to spread the love of Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32573 on: August 21, 2021, 07:49:58 pm »

look it up, I didn't know "Duck" or "Vape Duck" was a nickname for the Enigmatic Gale? I'm not sure how that one came about.
One of his aliases translates as "crow" but it got mistranslated as "duck". The fact that he looks like a duck, and he vapes, doesn't help his case that he is anything but a mischeivous vape duck. There are lots of other fun fan names like
Xing Hai/Kei Gai = Kguy
Wan Jun Po / Ban Gunha = Bane (why does he wear the mask? / dark knight reference)
Juan Can Yun = Ken ( his Japanese name, but he even looks like a ken doll)
Mie Tian Hai / Betsu Ten Gai = Ben10
Lang Wu Yao = Red Bard (he is a bard, who is red)
Mu Tian Ming = Blue Bard (she is a bard, who is blue)
Azibelpher = Alzheimers / Azibellpepper / Azimbabwe (or any other wordplay)

Regardless, I'm always quick espouse the awesomeness to all my friends as well. To anyone that'll listen, really. Even for people that like anime, however, the hurdle of watching puppets is always a hard sell. It's a challenge I'm willing to tackle as many times as it takes to spread the love of Thunderbolt Fantasy.
I never had such a problem, having grown up with thunderbirds. But I was stunned at how they were able to make the puppets move with such animation! Hilariously, one of my friends believed each "season" was one episode long, and thought the first episode was the entire show. I still don't know how they managed to make that blunder

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32574 on: August 25, 2021, 07:43:16 pm »

No, Magica. Evangelion is a very different guy LOL.

You might like Shin Godzilla (not animu, but Eva dude) because it brings out a lot of the hilarity of Eva without being so depressing.

Late response but I actually found Evangelion extremely un-depressing and life-affirming.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32575 on: August 25, 2021, 11:21:51 pm »

Season 2 of To Your Eternity is going strong. The main villain is really reprehensible and intimidating, the characterization is just great.

Tokyo Revengers is pretty good. It takes a while to get going because the main character is kind of a dingus, but I'm thoroughly on board. The episodes go by in a blur.

In the same time traveling vein, I tried the first episode of Remake Our Life, and I was just genuinely pissed off. The double-length first episode felt like two hours with how boring it was. And I was just really repulsed by the main character, who gets to be the beneficiary of time and space bending over backwards to let him go back in time and relive his college-age years, and the only thing he can think to do is go to a different college! I felt actually insulted and pissed that such a magical premise was exploited for such a banal, boring, unambitious, and stupid reason.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32576 on: August 26, 2021, 12:16:00 am »

Late response but I actually found Evangelion extremely un-depressing and life-affirming.

I struggled with seeing Shinji suffering so much.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32577 on: August 26, 2021, 11:46:33 pm »

I forgot to mention: Jojolion finished up just recently. It was a very pleasantly bizarre adventure.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32578 on: September 05, 2021, 01:19:47 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32579 on: September 20, 2021, 04:35:49 am »

Watched Hero Academia; most of it was pretty standard shonen stuff, pretty bored of it. Season 3 finale however was amazing, and the quality spikes upwards in S4 and then spikes again in S5 as they focus more on the side characters and the villains. I can't recommend giving it a watch unless you skip to S3 at least. Main character is fucking insane but they only have a few moments where they remark on the character being completely nuts; I wish they'd use that some more because the main character is Captain Ahab levels of monomaniacal "I MUST BECOME STRONGER EVEN IF IT DESTROYS MYSELF" because "I MUST BE THE STRONKEST IS MY MOTIVATION."

Fox and Spice however, is a solid 10/10 recommend. Man meets pagan wolf deity; man and wolf deity embark upon fantasy commerce. It's obviously not the show for someone who doesn't care too much about company reports but for someone who ever thought GRRM needs to shut the fuck up about Aragorn's tax policy it is nice to see a show that sincerely put some thought and love into "what if we devalued our silver?"
Pages: 1 ... 2170 2171 [2172] 2173 2174 ... 2191