Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2171 2172 [2173] 2174 2175 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763988 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32580 on: September 20, 2021, 06:31:29 am »

Watched Hero Academia; most of it was pretty standard shonen stuff, pretty bored of it. Season 3 finale however was amazing, and the quality spikes upwards in S4 and then spikes again in S5 as they focus more on the side characters and the villains. I can't recommend giving it a watch unless you skip to S3 at least. Main character is fucking insane but they only have a few moments where they remark on the character being completely nuts; I wish they'd use that some more because the main character is Captain Ahab levels of monomaniacal "I MUST BECOME STRONGER EVEN IF IT DESTROYS MYSELF" because "I MUST BE THE STRONKEST IS MY MOTIVATION."

I think a lot of that was Deku wanting to prove himself worthy of the awesome power he'd been bestowed. Which would make sense since he's been the physical inferior to his peers since a young age.

I don't think you could skip to S3, if only because a large part of the show's appeal lies in its cast of characters, which are introduced in the first seasons.

Fox and Spice however, is a solid 10/10 recommend. Man meets pagan wolf deity; man and wolf deity embark upon fantasy commerce. It's obviously not the show for someone who doesn't care too much about company reports but for someone who ever thought GRRM needs to shut the fuck up about Aragorn's tax policy it is nice to see a show that sincerely put some thought and love into "what if we devalued our silver?"

Spice and Wolf? I'd never heard it called Fox and Spice before. But yeah, it's a real classic. I really can't think of anything else even remotely like it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 06:56:52 am by JoshuaFH »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32581 on: September 20, 2021, 06:45:28 am »

I still find the premise of Spice and Wolf hilarious, from a storyboarding perspective.

"Hey, you know what would really make this romance anime work? ECONOMICS"

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32582 on: September 20, 2021, 07:24:14 am »

Spice and Wolf? I'd never heard it called Fox and Spice before. But yeah, it's a real classic. I really can't think of anything else even remotely like it.
You won't believe this, but I wrote it as "Fox and Spice," corrected it to "Spice and Wolf", then unthinkingly miscorrected it again. I'm too tired for this Monday

I still find the premise of Spice and Wolf hilarious, from a storyboarding perspective.

"Hey, you know what would really make this romance anime work? ECONOMICS"
Sometimes it just works

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32583 on: October 25, 2021, 10:03:47 pm »

Now that Fena: Pirate Princess finished airing, I binged it fairly quickly.

Lovely visuals, but the story, oof...
Most of the story took the form of a grande mystery, with our protagonists following clues and solving riddles as they hunted down their final destination. Except they never really had any free agency. Every time they ran into a problem, they would literally be puppeted by magic to hand them the solution so that they could move forward. Which made it really hard to appreciate whatever effort they were supposedly putting in, despite the fantastical settings.
When they do reach their goal the 'how' of all that magic nonsense is somewhat explained, but not the 'why'. Apparently all-powerful magic dude just randomly felt like leading our crew on a twisted hunt to fill out some episodes for the season.
Then it all concludes with a big emotional display about friendship and love, with these people who have known Fena for like a week and hardly done anything with her.
On top of all that, there's just a lot of loose ends that were never resolved.

Kinda wishing I'd skipped this one.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32584 on: October 26, 2021, 03:36:30 am »

I started tearing through the manga for Golden Kamuy recently, and holy shit is it just the best. The anime left out some very good plotlines that the manga readers get; like the homosexual yakuza boss, a full story of Shiraishi's past, a very spot-on homage to Yojimbo, and some others. I can understand leaving them out, you only get so many episodes, but these were great, everything is jumping between deadly serious action and off-the-wall humor all the time. The author calls the genre "Japanese-style yaminabe western", yaminabe being a type of hotpot where everyone brings their own secret ingredient and it all gets added together in the dark so nobody knows exactly what is in it, and the name fits; it's just a delicious mixture of genres like nothing else.

When the anime supposedly gets restarted in 2022, there's some scenes that I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing animated. I'm also keeping in mind some parts that might get cut for the anime, because even for how relaxed Japanese TV standards are when it comes to anime, I don't see the storylines like Semen Detective Usami Vs Jack the Ripper; or Ueji the Child Killer making it into the anime. These were both really graphic when it came to people getting killed.

I'm not done yet, I'm at a big turning point in the manga and I'm positively CHILLED at how cool some of these scenes are. It really is just getting better and better.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 03:40:11 am by JoshuaFH »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32585 on: October 28, 2021, 09:25:33 am »

Now that Fena: Pirate Princess finished airing, I binged it fairly quickly.

Lovely visuals, but the story, oof...
Most of the story took the form of a grande mystery, with our protagonists following clues and solving riddles as they hunted down their final destination. Except they never really had any free agency. Every time they ran into a problem, they would literally be puppeted by magic to hand them the solution so that they could move forward. Which made it really hard to appreciate whatever effort they were supposedly putting in, despite the fantastical settings.
When they do reach their goal the 'how' of all that magic nonsense is somewhat explained, but not the 'why'. Apparently all-powerful magic dude just randomly felt like leading our crew on a twisted hunt to fill out some episodes for the season.
Then it all concludes with a big emotional display about friendship and love, with these people who have known Fena for like a week and hardly done anything with her.
On top of all that, there's just a lot of loose ends that were never resolved.

Kinda wishing I'd skipped this one.

That name though
Love, scriver~

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32586 on: October 29, 2021, 11:59:20 pm »

Just finished watching SSSS.Dynazenon, successor to Gridman.

I'm still not clear, is this set in the Ultraman universe? Or is it a reboot? Or just an original creation designed to imitate the Ultraman flavor?

Anyway, compared to Gridman, this one had a lot more personal drama, which was rendered fairly poignant through aesthetics and music, but also felt like they were trying to do too much with too little screen time. In the end I'm still not sure wtf was going on with most of the characters, or what resolution they actually found at the end.

I liked the twist with the mummies, though I also found their motives unclear.

A fun ride, but I think that they could have accomplished more if they tried to do less.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #32587 on: December 17, 2021, 11:43:37 am »

I'd recommend Symphogear instead of those then. no harem protag or any nonsense, no ecchi to speak of. The show has cute girls etc, but they clearly decided they weren't having any of that shit where there are bath scenes, beach episodes or they grope each others boobs etc. The show has none of anything like that.

This video sums up what Symphogear is like:
https://www.bilibili.com/video/av13026362/
Long overdue response - thanks, that did fit the bill.

Browsing trough "what are you currently playing" thread on fuwanovel in largely fruitless search for stuff to read (it mostly consists of praising stuff i could never read to no end) stumbled on Subarashiki Hibi. Many people read it, and didn't say much bad things about it, and there is apparently some cool gore... It's my fault for not double checking everything, especially considering abovementioned praises, but holy shit.

Pile of quotes of dubious relevenace, pretentious philosophizing, flat nonsense, four lesbian solipsists barely not fucking each other while undergoing alarming change of character (haven't thought i would see a maid there. Damn you Zakuro! *shakes fist*), nice spooks, world glitches out, heap of concentrated nonsense in a toy space train, end roll. Repeat again!
Dropped it for a month, then stumbled on it again in same place, started chapter 2.
Pile of quotes of dubious relevenace, pretentious philosophizing, flat nonsense, eldritch boy (one characted insists that he is Nyaruko-kun) makes stupid faces and sets up a cult of himself with suspiciously mundane methods, bad spooks, world glitches out, eldritch boy offs himself to be reborn in next chapter, heap of nonsense, end roll. Repeat again!
Oh, and some dumb slice of life "goofing around" somewhere in between all of this in both chapters, but that may be the least of the problems.

Not so much "it will make sense in the end" as me having trouble grasping what exactly is that that is supposed to make sense. This thing left me with two questions - why did i read it and why do i want to continue.

And to say just how fruitless the search was - in several hundreds of pages i found grand total of two VNs that were "okay". I need to change place.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:07:13 pm by MCreeper »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #32588 on: December 17, 2021, 12:27:35 pm »

I am absolutely floored that someone else has brought up SubaHibi on bay12. Floored I tells ya!

I read all of a few years ago and it's definitely a trip. And it's definitely on the extreme spectrum of visual novels and things get really heavy in later chapters. You didn't get past Rabbit Hole I/II? Rabbit Hole I, at the end of the day is pretty irrelevant yuri slice of life in the grand scheme of the story, and it really is a big filter for many. If anything, that part is designed to be reread after reading the entirety of the story. It doesn't seem right to judge the entire story based off what is essentially the prologue. Everything does come together in the later chapters as different perspectives are explored
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:38:50 pm by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32589 on: December 18, 2021, 06:15:46 am »

As my first serious foray into Gundam, I finally saw Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counter Attack, and wow it was uncomfortable.  It was definitely the wrong place to jump into the Gundam universe.  It does a good job of explaining the characters and conflict for newcomers, but also it centers around a child infatuated with a genocidal adult.  He thankfully refuses her advances, but also leads her on, so he can use her to do the genocide. 

Gross

As for actual plot that isn't about the antagonist competing with his lieutenant over the child's affection - I love an earth vs colonies theme.  But they kept punishing me for liking that.  The protagonist and antagonist had interesting conflict over bureaucracy in a Metal Gear Solid way, and that did get a lot of solid text.
But then they were actually arguing about some dead girl

I kinda liked the anti-Earth newtype and was rooting for him to stop chasing the fucking child and realize that genocide is bad.  And eventually I hated him because he was just bad.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32590 on: December 18, 2021, 08:38:28 am »

Yeah... I think Lala (if that's who you're referencing) is supposedly older than she looks, but still only like 17 or somethin' like that. If basically everything related to her (I had somehow missed Char found her working in a brothal...) makes you uncomfortable it kinda' should, though I'm less sure how much Char's Counterattack's creator thinks that, too. Char's characterization has had a lot of shit flung at it over the years due to his interactions regarding that, though.

He's definitely, like... not a good person, in any case, or fighting for a good cause (though it's kinda' hard to say who is, exactly, as the feds are giant sacks of shit, too, they're just mostly less competent about their genocide, lol). If that's your takeaway, you paid attention, heh.

... he is usually on the side of the best looking mecha, though. Gundam/GM design is ass, if it ain't thicc it ain't good lookin' :P

Zaku forever!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #32591 on: December 18, 2021, 09:36:54 am »

I watched Cowboy Bebop recently.

Not really sure why it was 26 episodes long, the amount of story there was. It was quite underwhelming.

I haven’t seen the move, but based on the series, I’m rather disinclined to look it out.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32592 on: December 18, 2021, 03:06:33 pm »

Cowboy bebop is an interesting one. When I personally try to watch it, I find it kind of boring most of the time minus a few standout episodes (the first episode, Jupiter jazz 2-parter, Faye's backstory, the cult episode, the finale, etc.), yet I can't help notice the details that make it special.

It's a good looking anime, it's got some biting political commentary (you don't often see shows that talk about debt slavery), characters who have good chemistry with one another, it's commitment to avoiding modern anime looking tropes like panty shots, its serious tone.

Yet despite all of that, I find it mostly boring. It's more of a show to think about after you watch it rather than one you enjoy in the moment (like The Stranger by Albert Camus). I think the biggest problem with it is that it's a slow-paced show with arcs that begin and resolve within a 20 minute episode, with little of the continuity most anime benefits from. As a result, there is rarely enough time to actually take things somewhere juicy. I also can't say I care for the soundtrack as much as some people do.

As for the movie, I'd say its good, but you'll only be able to enjoy it if you enjoy the rest of the show (although the opening convenience store robbery is exceptional) . I don't regret watching it, but that's mainly because I watched Bebop for its historical value rather than its entertainment value.

Cowboy Bebop
is still better than 90% of the anime they make nowadays, but I think Porco Rosso is a better bounty hunter story.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32593 on: December 18, 2021, 04:22:26 pm »

Yeah... I think Lala (if that's who you're referencing) is supposedly older than she looks, but still only like 17 or somethin' like that.

I thought the teletubbies were supposed to be like, toddlers
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #32594 on: December 18, 2021, 07:34:53 pm »

Yeah... I think Lala (if that's who you're referencing) is supposedly older than she looks, but still only like 17 or somethin' like that.

I thought the teletubbies were supposed to be like, toddlers

Entirely off-topic question, but did the telethon idea telethon he’s there is no telethon ffs autocorrect did the Teletubbies get translated to Swedish, and were the names of the teletubbies changed at all?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 2171 2172 [2173] 2174 2175 ... 2191