Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2174 2175 [2176] 2177 2178 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763476 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32625 on: April 27, 2022, 02:09:34 pm »

Nah, our city library isn't like that, like, the best I can hope for is poorly translated LotR books if my friend who works there is to be believed. And I'd used the damn thing for years when I was younger, didn't have much of a selection back then either.

Now the really bad part of this is that I've read trough the whole 700ish pages in two days, and I don't wanna order another one this month since I'm kinda overbudget this month on a number of things :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32626 on: April 29, 2022, 01:59:03 am »

The manga of Golden Kamuy just finished. What an UTTERLY FANTASTIC finale that was. Just from start to finish, the manga is super great, but the final arc just pushes it way over the top.

I'm just sad that it's over, it really does deserve all the love and attention it gets, and more.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32627 on: May 01, 2022, 05:49:46 am »

I tripped over a movie that I hadn't noticed before: Earwig and the Witch, and the only reason I watched it was because it's apparently a Ghibli film. Looking at it, you wouldn't be able to tell, it doesn't have the typical, handcrafted style of a Ghibli Film; but apparently it was made by Hayao Miyazaki's son: Goro Miyazaki.

It uses a CG style instead of a 2D Animated style, which I was willing to give a go, if only because I feel that the new Miyazaki obviously wants to set himself apart from his father.

Ultimately, I'd have to say that the movie just wasn't that good. I have to make a concerted effort to not look at their faces as the characters are talking, as the mouths don't match the words being spoken at all, and it's really freaky. A lot of the CG just doesn't lend itself very will to allowing the characters to express themselves. The movie also lacks the kind of grandiose and awesome worldbuilding that you might expect out of a Ghibli movie, with the majority of the movie taking place indoors.

The writing is very unnoteworthy, and honestly the story just doesn't go anywhere. After you're about 90 minutes in, where it feels like the movie might be picking up steam, it just ends unceremoniously. The characters don't have the kind of development that you'd expect out of Ghibli movie, and there just isn't any real climax, so it felt very unsatisfying at the end.

Then to rub it in, the credits sequence has what looks like concept art of the characters in the more traditional Ghibli-style, and it just looks quite a lot more enjoyable than what we got.

Better luck next time Goro.

MusicMagician

• Bay Watcher
  • ヒトリダケナンテエラベナイヨー! (I can't just choose one)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32628 on: May 10, 2022, 01:35:08 am »

I wonder if you guys ever watch an anime that while still is by default slice-of-life type anime, a fair amount of it's appeal content are music.
Always take time to leave your passion behind for a greater happiness. Don't hide it and lie about it.
I'm sorry if I can't hold my promise because of my internal paranoia. I'd still be open if anyone really cares...
I don't know, what am I would be thinking if I'm isolated from the entire outer world? I definitely wouldn't imagine to be that kind of person. Somebody have to help my mind about this!
What it takes to be an idol?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #32629 on: May 10, 2022, 02:03:55 am »

I used to watch some cute girls doing cute stuff shows like K-on, Non Non Biyori and Hidamari Sketch, but recently the closest I’ve gotten is Cardcaptor Sakura. I don’t think Tenchi Universe counts, even if they run around not doing much half of the show, either on earth or in space.

I haven’t thought about the music of these shows much, other than the occasional ”oh this is a good track”, but I suppose it does carry more ”quiet” shows more than in would in ones with a higher tempo. Maybe, action and drama dilineated with bad music direction can also turn out really awkward.

Have you watched that youtuber Hazel’s video on the Japanese countryside, by the way? It is a good one.

MusicMagician

• Bay Watcher
  • ヒトリダケナンテエラベナイヨー! (I can't just choose one)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32630 on: May 11, 2022, 01:49:38 am »

That makes me cry now  :'(

I think if anything else I want to say about it, well, there is quite a lot of emotional stuff to go through there... even in the most light-hearted and simple works.

I'm never going to see anime the same way I used to view them ever again.
Always take time to leave your passion behind for a greater happiness. Don't hide it and lie about it.
I'm sorry if I can't hold my promise because of my internal paranoia. I'd still be open if anyone really cares...
I don't know, what am I would be thinking if I'm isolated from the entire outer world? I definitely wouldn't imagine to be that kind of person. Somebody have to help my mind about this!
What it takes to be an idol?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #32631 on: May 11, 2022, 04:07:33 am »

We constantly change, and we can’t necessarily go back to the way things were. There is no getting away from that. While wistful, this is not a negative, it means we get to see beauty from all-new perspectives. As cheesy as that might sound. :P

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32632 on: May 11, 2022, 02:59:25 pm »

I wonder if you guys ever watch an anime that while still is by default slice-of-life type anime, a fair amount of it's appeal content are music.

Closest I got was probably Project A-ko, which is a slice of life for a girl attending school with her annoying friend C-ko. Also, the girl is hinted at being a Kryptonian (like superman) and her rival is a rich genius mecha inventor.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32633 on: May 23, 2022, 08:23:44 am »

I finished watching the first two seasons of 86.

Set in a near future with light sci-fi elements, 86 is the story of soldiers fighting a bleak war against an enigmatic and overwhelming enemy. The title refers to the 86'th district, on the outskirts of an enduring Republic, where anyone who looks different is sent to fight and die.

I'm not crazy about the way that 90% of the cast is killed off in the first half of the first season, just so that the survivors can don plot armor and become immortal. Also the show tends to milk the dramatic moments more frequently than I'd like.
Still, it's a show with a lot of exciting action and poignant emotion. I enjoyed watching, and am looking forward to the already greenlit Season 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32634 on: May 24, 2022, 01:28:49 pm »

I'm not crazy about the way that 90% of the cast is killed off in the first half of the first season, just so that the survivors can don plot armor and become immortal. Also the show tends to milk the dramatic moments more frequently than I'd like.
Yeah, one of the perpetual issues with meat grinders is that there's no good way to treat the main characters like that, so you inevitably get some people getting knocked around by things you've already seen turn other people into extra meaty chili. Trying to work around this is one reason main characters are often very tough as a defining trait.

On that note, I'm 600 chapters into Kingdom and it's still excellent despite suffering from every shonen trope there is. Including that whenever two really scary people meet, you inevitably get a gaggle of mooks shouting "Leave him to us!" and jumping ahead so he can cleave through 4-5 of them in a single full-panel swipe.

On the bright side, the focus on political concerns, military tactics, and character motivations/influences really makes things interesting. I think one thing a lot of works are missing is a meaningful context, so the wires are really visible on the basic Everything Cool -> Oh No Villainy -> Stop Villain -> Everything Cool cycle. Kingdom manages to pull off making most battles feel like there's two actual factions going at it, and I think shamelessly cribbing a historical epic and then building up all the pieces therein is a major part of that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32635 on: May 28, 2022, 05:01:06 pm »

Anybody watch Spy x Family? My dept is going 100% crazy over it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32636 on: May 28, 2022, 05:16:27 pm »

I used to read the Manga. It's good, but after an exciting beginning the story begins to spin its wheels. I believe the manga author intends to give it the length of a long-running shonen like Naruto or Hunter X Hunter, which I personally am not a fan of.

Though I haven't seen the anime, I still feel confident enough to recommend it based on my experience with the source material. Your dept isn't wrong to go crazy for it. It really is a breath of fresh air.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32637 on: May 29, 2022, 02:37:41 pm »

Bay12 disord is going crazy over it as well. It's really great.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #32638 on: July 06, 2022, 01:22:08 am »

Downloaded Aoishiro from somewhere. All but the main text is untranslated, game crashes in intro. Launched under japanese locale - game crashes even earlier. Also there is already a phrase with wording that doesn't make sense. Googled what the fuck it is. It is an old and buggy version of translation. Link to the proper one is dead, of course. Downloaded from elsewhere - it is the same shit in diffirent package. People just don't check what they upload, do they? Well, looks like no Smug Kiddo Ever Young\Reincarnation\Descendant of Geralt Duking It Out With Ever Young\Reincarnation\Descendant of Devil On The Backround Of Faux-Yuri shclock for me.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 01:51:46 am by MCreeper »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32639 on: July 07, 2022, 12:42:02 am »

The much anticipated Season 4 of Overlord has finally arrived. I quite enjoyed the first episode of the season, the writing and dialogue are absolutely a cut above the average light-novel-turn-anime.
Pages: 1 ... 2174 2175 [2176] 2177 2178 ... 2191