Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2179 2180 [2181] 2182 2183 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763011 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32700 on: November 17, 2022, 04:14:17 pm »

"You alright there Ash? 2022? Being a 10 year old kid for 25 years? Winning the championship? Must have been a bad faint, lets get a snapple and watch some cartoons on the CRT TV"
Ash got struck by lighting in episode 1 and has been in a coma ever since,
As he holds up the championship trophy, he slowly opens his eyes...
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #32701 on: November 17, 2022, 04:17:02 pm »

That would be a soul-destroying end to a 25 year old IP.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32702 on: November 21, 2022, 07:02:42 am »

I do hope they update the opening song to acknowledge he is the very best, like no one ever was

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32703 on: November 21, 2022, 04:18:19 pm »

I've been spending literally the last two months or so catching up on the Overlord light novel, and I'm FINALLY past where the anime is. Though the anime did cut out like two entire volumes worth of content at where it is right now.

I'm not sure if the next season of the anime will go back and retread the missed content, if it'll push on to the next volumes, both sound pretty decent, though I can understand why they skipped those volumes to begin with, whereas I am enjoying the next volume adventure:

« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 07:24:56 pm by JoshuaFH »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32704 on: November 22, 2022, 02:17:41 pm »

I've been spending literally the last two months or so catching up on the Overlord light novel, and I'm FINALLY past where the anime is. Though the anime did cut out like two entire volumes worth of content at where it is right now.

I'm not sure if the next season of the anime will go back and retread the missed content, if it'll push on to the next volumes, both sound pretty decent, though I can understand why they skipped those volumes to begin with, whereas I am enjoying the next volume adventure:

Angry eyebrows archer is my spirit animal. Having everyone misjudge you because you just naturally look angry all the time and then being forced into the role of the angry messiah just because no one can take you at non-eyebrowed face value is a very specific perspective I empathise with deeply

The anime blowing all of its budget on a disney song number to induce a billion gigawatts of shonen grief and despair is also the stuff of legends

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32705 on: November 22, 2022, 04:59:17 pm »

Angry eyebrows archer is my spirit animal. Having everyone misjudge you because you just naturally look angry all the time and then being forced into the role of the angry messiah just because no one can take you at non-eyebrowed face value is a very specific perspective I empathise with deeply

The anime blowing all of its budget on a disney song number to induce a billion gigawatts of shonen grief and despair is also the stuff of legends

I gotta hand it to the anime, it's pretty faithful to the LN, but when it does take liberties with the source material, it does a damn good job. A character just thinking to themselves "I feel like singing!" and then the studio turns that into a full-ass musical number is pretty astounding.

The biggest part of my motivation to keep reading the light novel is that I just want to know how it ends. The LN isn't done yet, it's taking it's sweet sweet ass time slowly building up the characters and the world. The author doesn't even hesitate to devote a couple chapters, or an entire volume, on building up characters that get killed like peons. The only way I can see Overlord ending in a satisfying manner is for Ainz to get some serious karmic comeuppance, like having all these side characters somehow becoming as strong as the Nazarick denizens and defeating him like the final boss he is; or finding the other players of Ainz Ooal Gown and they think that Momonga has become a serious asshole and turn on him, which also divides the loyalties of all the NPC's; or perhaps the most trollish possible ending would be Ainz finally completing his global conquest, and then his vision fades to black as he's greeted with the message "I hope you've enjoyed the demo of Yggdrasil 2." right before he's booted out of his deep dive system and back into his horrible human life.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32706 on: November 23, 2022, 07:32:54 am »

I can think of three possible endings

1. Natives get uppity and a coalition of all the most powerful native enemies Ainz has accrued come together and pose a serious threat. There are big figures like the Platinum Dragon Lord, the Theocracy and who knows what else, plus you had characters like Jircniv or Princess Renner who had viable plans to beat Ainz so it's not impossible for other sasuga NPCs to have viable plans against the guild.
Probably the least likely though; one thing Overlord's consistently shown is that the series is not about fairness or will x beat y. It's about family, and being the last MMORPG skeleton clinging to a dead game

2. Ainz Ool Gown infighting destroys the guild.
Some of the NPCs like Jircniv or the theocracy note that the easiest way to kill the skeleton king is if some of his generals turn against him, so this is a possibility which has been foreshadowed a lot. Whilst most of the generals have shown 110% loyalty to Ainz, there have been notable instances where it's not entirely clear
-Ainz telling Pandora's Actor to grow beyond his father is a classic staple of dramas where the son usurps the father
-The generals do not like each other and clearly differ on how much they value humanity. Case in point being Sebas vs Demiurge & Albedo, Ainz seriously entertained the possibility that Sebas would try to kill him
-It's left ambiguous whether Albedo is actually loyal. She makes reference to how she is loyal to Momonga, but he renamed himself to Ainz and every time he acts merciful to humans she comments he's not acting like Momonga. An Albedo coup-attempt where she tries to monopolize Momonga to herself (personal victory) whilst steering the sorcerous Kingdom towards a hostile anti-human stance (as she feels is proper and true to her conception of Momonga) is possible.
-We have had an Ainz vs Shalltear fight already
-Ainz is not the first time players have been isekai'd to their world before. Most of the times players arrived they either died natural lifespans, got assassinated, or notably conquered the world with little opposition - before dying to infighting. There is precedent for an unstoppable isekai'd army to ultimately be its own downfall in this setting.
-Thematically, it would be a tragic but not incoherent end to Ainz's story.

3. The story ends with Ainz conquering the world, sasuga Ainz Samas all around, the author is released from their stressful series
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 07:34:35 am by Loud Whispers »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32707 on: November 23, 2022, 08:53:05 am »

The infighting ending both seems like the most likely and least likely outcome. The most likely because as you said it's the most heavily foreshadowed, and the LN is SUPER FUCKING BLUNT about its foreshadowing. Characters will literally just speak aloud exactly what is going to happen in the future, while then going "Nah that'll never happen." in the most conspicuous way possible. I would also say it's the least likely because that is declaring war on its own genre, which is "power fantasy where the main character is unanimously and unconditionally loved and respected by everyone", and the situation where Ainz Ooal Gown starts infighting would literally transform it into a different show.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32708 on: November 23, 2022, 09:37:21 am »

Though it would be a big genre shift, it's possible just because the author is kinda sick of working on overlord and may annihilate the cast out of desperation to be free from their own success

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32709 on: November 23, 2022, 09:51:25 am »

That'd be a disappointing way to end the series. Overlord has a lot more potential than your ordinary isekai dreck.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32710 on: November 24, 2022, 08:51:12 pm »

Man I just adore this week's episode of Chainsaw Man. It just has such an irreverent sense of humor compared to a lot of anime. Though it does do the anime thing of refusing to show minors drinking. It's just something that seems to be a hard, unbreakable rule in anime, that no matter the circumstances you cannot depict a minor drinking; even if they're practically an adult, and in a dangerous profession and just spent three solid days fighting a fucking monster, and they're a half-man half-devil freak of nature. I'm thinking there must be some law in Japan that explicitly bans depictions of underage drinking, though a google search doesn't bring up anything, it's the only explanation for how universal it is.

Regardless though, this week's ED slaps. I love it, very tasteful fanservice and absurdly funny.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 08:52:59 pm by JoshuaFH »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32711 on: November 25, 2022, 06:43:03 am »

The Japanese underage drinking law came into affect in 1922. It has been ignored ever since.
I know there are some odd hangups they've got with censoring vomit or drinking <18 despite their rather cheerful disposition towards depicing literally everything else

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32713 on: November 30, 2022, 06:33:55 pm »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #32714 on: December 16, 2022, 11:11:35 am »

They announced the new Pokemon anime (The one for Scarlet and Violet)
It's official, no more Ash Ketchum as protagonist.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 2179 2180 [2181] 2182 2183 ... 2191