Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2182 2183 [2184] 2185 2186 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2762644 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32745 on: March 23, 2023, 05:46:48 pm »

I dunno if this is appropriate for the anime thread, but I've been reading manga recently. I finished BLAME! and moved on to Knights of Sidonia, and I have to say, reading Knights of Sidonia is essentially just watching people finding new solutions to problems and those solutions being instantly made obsolete. Every time it happens I imagine the characters involved banging their heads against the closest available desks in increasingly frustrated intensity.

Edit:

Seriously, this entire comic is literally just "And then the situation got worse" over and over again.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 07:13:01 pm by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32746 on: March 25, 2023, 05:25:57 am »

Seriously, this entire comic is literally just "And then the situation got worse" over and over again.
Eastern Europe simulator

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #32747 on: March 31, 2023, 02:55:26 am »

Mostly read and a bit watched Happy Sugar Life. There is too many crazies. There can't be that many crazies. It's like Hinamizawa of perverts without "Wizard did it!" justification. Ending would be extremely dumb if it wasn't apparent that author, indeed, needed to wrap things up quickly and preferrably not with lame-ass jail for main character. Instead it is just dumb. Unless i'm really missing something, it goes about like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
An underbush orchestra. Usual cunning turns to incredible stupidity, doors conspire, and enemies show up in exactly right place and time to kill a villain (?). Death Note had something similiar at the end, i have heard. At least MC's auintie was amazing.

Overall, manga is okay. Where was it 7 years ago when i searched for yuri yanderes?

Stumbled upon ending of Flip Flappers and was intrigued. But from the quick skim of anime itself it seems that instead of engaging in fairytalish sillyness main characters end up hanging around in a futuristic underground base and fighting some sort of evil genius and his army of robots along with a bunch of cybernetic magical girls who dress like whores. Jeez, why. :(
EDIT: Well, props to authors. They remembered what rabbits do besides mating - they nibble at carrots. Therefore, main characters started to nibble at everything at sight after gratuitously transorming into rabbitgirls in a magical realm of being on drugs.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 05:35:06 am by MCreeper »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32748 on: April 10, 2023, 05:01:12 pm »

Adventurers who don't believe in humanity will save the world - in which a bunch of societal dregs come together because their options are despair alone, or despair together. And misery loves company. The tone wanders between light hearted power of friendship to dark betrayal (the serious, depressing kind, not the fantastical villainous kind) which is a surprise for a cookie-cutter isekai. Nice character designs too. Worth a watch if you have nothing else to do, which last season, was often the case for me.

Most seasons of anime have been getting more and more adventure-guild/academy isekai'ified and this year is no exception. Special medal goes to Handyman Saitou for trying to do something different, however it regularly tries to run away from its unique premise (a white van man in a fantasy world is a fun idea) to instead desperately try to cling to the standard formula of protagonists who spend way too much screen time not developing a relationship. It occasionally features side characters who steal the show, like a "wizard" who defeats enemies by smashing them with his ridiculously oversized staff, or a comedic duo where the large armour-clad dude is the support spellcaster and the tiny girl is actually the frontline fighter. I had hopes for this one but it couldn't sustain my attention.

Reincarnation of the strongest exorcist gets the same medals as Handyman Saitou. It breaks my heart every time an isekai opens with an amazing story. In this case it opens up with an ambitious sorcerer who binds the souls of demons to his service to become the most powerful man in the world. His power invokes the ire and paranoia of the government who set into motion intrigues and machinations that result in him being assasinated by his own top student. And then the show decides that this story would be dangerously interesting, and turns it into an isekai of a boy going to school and doing the whole Harry Potter routine. Idk why people come up with great stories and then do everything in their power to turn it into a generic isekai.
There are a few moments where the kernel of a great show emerge (there is a particularly awesome & harrowing scene where the sorcerer summons a mind-reading monster to interrogate a captured assassin, and the monster reads the mind of the protagonist, revealing how ruthless they are in a way that was executed very well). But then you get bizarre turns in the story which are required to keep the plot on a standard isekai formula -_-

Dorohedoro is a great show. Same sort of feel of Chainsaw Man in that joyful irreverent sense of mayhem and choppy action. The first episode jumps straight into the action of an alligator-man and a chef waging a two-man war against sorcerers, who as we all know, wizards have no sense of right and wrong. The cast of the antagonists and protagonists are all amazing. Strong recommend - the show is light on plot but heavy on character development, and the action is crazy. The main antagonist turns people into mushrooms

I've seen a few more but most of them were so forgetful. A few upcoming ones seem fun enough, but I've noticed some that stick out from the pack.

Magic and Muscles - Muscle wizard. That's the joke. It keeps me laughing. Hopefully it continues to deliver

Dead Mount Death Play - Another isekai, but the first episode managed to successfully bait and switch me.
Spoiler: spoilers ahead (click to show/hide)

Konosuba's spinoff - If you liked the Konosuba Movie in the Crimson Demon village, this is that but an entire show. It's just Megumin and Yunyun so no Aqua, Kazuma or Darkness et al. which is a shame, but it's more Konosuba nonetheless

Heavenly Delusion - Holy shit I cannot recommend this one strongly enough. Only two episodes are out so hopefully this recommend doesn't come back to bite me but so far it's just consistently knocking it out of the park.
-Two narratives, one taking place in some sterile, artificial sci-fi school environment with heavy surveillance to protect them from "the outside." The other takes place with two protagonists wandering around the outside in some post-apocalyptic world where freaky biblical demon beast mutant things hunt people. The premise is amazing.
-Animation quality is high (movie-tier quality), art design is great, colour palette is refreshing. The way they colour in the weather or show the things in the night is just superb
-Not a fucking isekai
-Actual animated action, fight choreography
-Great plot setup, character develop and chemistry feels genuine
-Features a trans character; their identity is handled seriously & respectfully
-Characters all have unique faces, don't suffer from same-face with pastel coloured hair syndrome

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32749 on: April 10, 2023, 05:38:06 pm »

Dorohedoro is a great show. Same sort of feel of Chainsaw Man in that joyful irreverent sense of mayhem and choppy action. The first episode jumps straight into the action of an alligator-man and a chef waging a two-man war against sorcerers, who as we all know, wizards have no sense of right and wrong.
... that blurb reminds me quite a lot of Keyman. It's been a while since something reminded me of that manga.

Can... can't really ever recommend it because the loli fanservice is pretty strong, but on the same hand basically everything outside of that was pretty bloody amazing. Has one of the best skullman character designs I've ever seen. Lots of just amazing design work.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32750 on: April 10, 2023, 09:42:28 pm »

I read one volume of Dorohedoro a while ago and I still haven't gotten around to reading the rest. I've avoided watching the anime because I can't imagine any feasible way they'd be able to translate the art of the manga into animation for a television show.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32751 on: April 13, 2023, 12:52:11 am »

Just watched Grimgar, and its amazing how big a small difference can make.
Its an group isekai fantasy, but none of them have their memories, they never use game terms like level, ect

So despite it being so fundamentally basic low level isekai with game mechanics it feels like an entirely different genre.

It was fun, not amazing or anything, but fun.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32752 on: April 13, 2023, 11:49:18 am »

Yeah it really helps it doesn't go for the lazy power fantasy wank.

Also helps that it's fucking gorgeous to look at, the backgrounds are a study in how a style can elevate the look of a show.

Damn shame they're not doing anymore adaptation of it tho.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32753 on: May 05, 2023, 01:51:20 am »

I finished Season 2 of To Your Eternity, and I just really loved it. It's just one of those rare anime that just has a good story, and that's it. That's all it needs.

But in addition, it has a great OP.

Can't wait for Season 3.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32754 on: May 12, 2023, 04:43:40 am »

I finished Season 2 of To Your Eternity, and I just really loved it. It's just one of those rare anime that just has a good story, and that's it. That's all it needs.

But in addition, it has a great OP.

Can't wait for Season 3.
I might give it a look then, it already popped on my radar because of the original premise

Btw you should all check out this 5 minute insane stop motion kino called Hidari if you haven't already

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32755 on: May 12, 2023, 02:42:16 pm »

In Manga news: I'm fully caught up on the Chainsaw Man manga. I'm usually pretty reluctant to read past the anime unless I really like something, and CSM doesn't disappoint. There's actually a part 2 to Chainsaw Man that apparently started recently, which really surprised me, as Part 1 was basically a complete, if very insane, story; but then it just keeps going. I guess I'm stuck on this Chainsaw Train now.

Also, Baki Dou, the Sumo Arc of Baki the Grappler, has finally concluded after like 5 years. It has left many fans, myself included, completely bewildered, in that so much time has been spent on this arc, and so much effort doled out to hype up the new characters that were introduced in this arc, only for it to end kinda anticlimactically. Like "Really? That was it?" and so I'm thinking that the author Keisuke Itagaki just wants to hurry to the next arc, or focus on his multiple concurrent side stories he has going, or maybe just start wrapping up all his stories cause Jesus the man is like 66 years old, the Shonen Slavedrivers can only whip him for so long.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32756 on: May 22, 2023, 07:58:12 pm »

My friend just gave me her Crunchyroll login so I can watch Witch of Mercury :D

What else should I check out while I have free access?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32757 on: May 22, 2023, 10:22:21 pm »

I'll always be a proponent of Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32758 on: May 23, 2023, 10:19:11 am »

I'll always be a proponent of Thunderbolt Fantasy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32759 on: June 08, 2023, 11:46:11 am »

Speaking of Witch From Mercury, holy shit the second season is a rollercoaster. First one was ok for the most part, there were interesting bits and some drama and stuff but it was mostly cheerful highschool nonsense. But that last episode seems to have been a good indication of where things are going. And this thing is not pulling any punches as well as pulling off some twists to keep it interesting. I genuinely can't wait to see where all of this goes. Compared to previous gundam shows this one clearly has a stronger second season where most others were kinda struggling to figure out where to go after a good first season. Here it feels more like the direction is unclear because there's so much shit in the air that you can't accurately figure out where all of it will land and that's hella interesting.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 2182 2183 [2184] 2185 2186 ... 2191