Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soulash 2 - Adventures and Conquest in Procedural Fantasy Worlds  (Read 1147 times)

Kalther

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Soulash 2 is a sandbox RPG roguelike about adventures and conquest. It's a continuation of the first game about a god on his quest for world destruction, but this time, we play as mortals in a godless world.

The game is available in Early Access on Steam and Itch.io.

The first Soulash game was inspired by ADOM and UnReal World with a combination of a unique theme strictly about playing as a god that wants to destroy the world. Soulash 2 adds inspirations from Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode and Mount & Blade series into the cauldron to create a more open sandbox conquest-themed experience in procedural worlds while building on the lore established by the first game and staying true to the Roguelike design formula.

What's available in the game?

Procedurally Generated Worlds with Simulated History

Multiple civilizations breed, build, expand, die from old age and starvation, gather, produce, consume, and trade with each other, simulating supply and demand to create unique worlds for us to explore and interact with.

Procedurally Generated Settlements & Locations

The world is split into regions with unique resources, settlements, and special locations with hidden treasures generated from the specified range in different biomes.

Skill-Based Progression System

Soulash 2 ditched the previous profession-based system for a unique skill-based system based on unlocking potential and mastery through related actions. The game features multiple combat, crafting, building, and utility skills of levels up to 50, with milestones benefiting our characters.

Building

Whether a castle in the mountains, a hut in the forest, or a farmstead that feeds the world. Soulash 2 already features 3 relevant skills of Construction, Carpentry, and Agriculture that allow us to build our own structures in the world. We may also claim existing locations like a soon-to-be decapitated Death Knight's castle as our seat of power... and refurbish it to our liking.

Material-Based Crafting

Crafting allows the use of chosen materials, allowing us to create our equipment how we wish, without the need to hopelessly grind for lucky drops.

Game Modes

There are three separate game modes of High Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, and Hardcore, where you can choose to play as an immortal being, someone who may die but with the ability to continue as someone else in the same world, or a pure roguelike experience where the world dies with you.

Modding Tools

Soon after Early Access was released, the expanded modding tools were added to the game to introduce custom resources, items, skills, abilities, enemies, locations, or even whole new civilizations. No coding required - everything is in GUI tools and simple JSON configuration files.

What's Next?

The next update should complete the adventuring scope by adding a Party System, and the focus will shift to the mentioned Conquest elements that stem from my love for the M&B series, starting from settlement management, where we'll be able to include beings in our settlements, establish armies, conquer other settlements and eventually the whole world. The final two planned core features before v1.0 will introduce worldwide events to add more life to the world and continue the story from the first game. More details about other things can be found in the recently released Soulash 2 Roadmap to v1.0.

There's a substantial free demo to try too, so give it a try on Steam.

Other places to follow development:
Discord
Twitter
Reddit
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 07:12:36 pm by Kalther »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soulash 2 - Adventures and Conquest in Procedural Fantasy Worlds
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 05:23:36 pm »

I tried the demo, it's fun but not a lot of danger, and interface and how to survive is definitely not explained well, but not necessarily a bad thing as I don't think it's too hard to learn. Game seems a bit grindy in how to level up certain stuff, but also not too grindy in that levelling up skills happens quite easily early on, I'm sure later on will be grindfest to hit the cap.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Also they have Shek and Dwarves

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 09:16:46 pm »

Game seems good but there's something about the weird small coinface look for characters that makes it oddly offputting? Can't really describe why it feels that way to me.

Kalther

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 07:17:48 pm »

Thanks for checking out the game and feedback. :)

A recent update has introduced a new civilization to the swamp regions - Reptilions. The new race is also playable. Details available here: Soulash v0.6.3 "Reptilions" released.

Kalther

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 02:42:28 am »

New update - new civilization, this time introducing Mushmen into the Boreal Forests.

Details available here: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2399160/view/7847029157643979127

Also, the demo has just been updated to the latest version v0.6.5.1 including improvements made since November.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 04:03:58 am by Kalther »

Kalther

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 12:37:57 pm »

A milestone update v0.7.0 was released today, introducing Adventuring Parties with a new Leadership skill, hiring companions, building golems with custom parts, and more. See the announcement here:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2399160/view/4139442565093630586

Kalther

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 11:45:37 am »

v0.7.2 has been released today, adding the Hunting skill centered around bows and crossbows, tracking, and animal taming. Details available in the announcement:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2399160/view/4131562530381119202

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 09:01:00 am »

Game seems good but there's something about the weird small coinface look for characters that makes it oddly offputting? Can't really describe why it feels that way to me.
Yup, it was the first thing I noticed on the video review where I found out about the game, the reviewer wasn't very keen on it either. But yeah, I can't quite put my finger on it as well, it's not like DFs adventurer mode is much different when you're not using a tileset, but in this case it just feels really out of place.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 11:04:02 am »

Gonna follow this game closely, I tried the demo but it seemed pretty barebones but it was updated and I may just drop some money on it anyways since I love the premise and you guys seem to be making progress.

The whole "simulated world where you can do anything in" is largely only explored by like Kenshi, URW, and DF, and up until the upcoming DF adventure mode release even DF's mode lacks depth in the areas that make gameplay compelling, so I'm happy to see you guys doing stuff in regards to that.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars