Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1601641 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12360 on: August 17, 2014, 01:48:53 pm »

They removed Mountain Dwarf :( Terrible. I played this a bit as a Deep Dwarf or whatever they were called, eventually moved onto Tales of Maj'Eyal for a roguelike, im sure its been mentioned in this HUGE thread. Its also got a premium class thats Dwarf only ;) dual shield wielding badass.
Method to make mountain dwarf unique. Crafting ability. Let's you take a stack of items and reforge it into a new item of similar type and material. Want an even star? Throw a dozen or so metal maces onto the ground and remake em. Balance. The items are always 0,0 and unbranded.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12361 on: August 17, 2014, 02:07:05 pm »

There have been several attempts to remake dwarves along those lines. They all failed due to basically making you a Hoover

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12362 on: August 17, 2014, 05:14:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12363 on: August 17, 2014, 05:51:15 pm »

GG, y'all. GG.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12364 on: August 17, 2014, 08:42:04 pm »

Man, is it tourney time yet? I want it to be tourney time.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12365 on: August 18, 2014, 03:03:56 pm »

I want to try a tourney too.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12366 on: August 18, 2014, 04:14:09 pm »

Well, 0.15 and Trunk are two separate things on akrasiac (the most up-to-date server), so 0.15 will soon be officially out. We can expect the tournament really soon (as it is at the same time a version is out).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12367 on: August 19, 2014, 02:27:19 am »

Decided to try Trunk out a little bit, wizz around with the new gods.  Qazlal is neat, but not quite as obscene as I'd first imagined.  The adaptive resistance thing is nice though, especially seeing as it also applies to physical attacks (you gain AC by being hit).  None of the clouds generated block LOS.

Gozag, on the other hand, is just silly.  Mummies and Spriggans are basically the only ones who can really follow him because, yes, ALL corpses get turned into gold.  You can also say goodbye to your chances of dragon armor, since dragons don't leave corpses to butcher either.  He's also rather interesting for spriggans because of course the Potion Petition (pay for a selection of random potion effects) has one standby that's unchanging, that being porridge.  Now, the cost of a portion petition of porridge potion starts at 100gp and goes up slightly (about 4gp or so) every time you use it, from what I can tell.  Can't tell if the other mixtures also get their costs increased, because the value is determined by the effects, which generally is awfully random (Haste, invisibility, levitation and lignification all in one, for instance).

...interestingly, mummies actually can use the potion petition and get what appears to be the full effects from them (except, of course, berserker rage and other things that don't affect them at all). 

The bribing mechanic is a bit interesting, and I'm curious to know exactly how it works...  But suffice to say that you're paying 3000 gold to temporarily have a very small chance of impressing some denizens of a given branch.  Although you technically can bribe the hells, don't even bother...  It appears to only have a chance to sway the allegiance of those creatures /native/ to the branch.  So, say, in Dis, you can have friendly or allied iron imps and iron devils.  That's about it.  I did get one hell sentinel to leave me alone, but all the rest of them were just as hostile as ever.

It's great for the orcish mines though.  Lots of easily manipulated orcs leads to lots of chaos.  And, probably an oversight, but orcish allies you get through bribery can increase in experience and get upgraded classes, like if you worshiped Beogh...   Just note that once the bribery timer runs out, everyone turns hostile again.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12368 on: August 19, 2014, 02:39:24 am »

Food is usually pretty cheap and overstocked in shops right? If you can even find a food shop that is. I'm thinking buy out everything in there and go on your way for a non-extended win. Can't see it ever working on trolls but, other races?

I'm trying out Qazlal on a gargoyle fire elementalist and it feels pretty ridiculous. Not only does it make surviving early/mid game trivial (faster-than-you creature on your ass? Conjure flame and walk through it.), the smite targeted invocation lets you use inner fire more liberally. Orc wizard push his way past your living bomb? Doesn't matter. That storm, too.. I'm using leather with a buckler and war axe. I put down a wall of fire and face tanked 2-3 death yaks while they burned to death or just got hit with random clouds. Not even close I lied.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:46:11 am by debvon »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12369 on: August 19, 2014, 06:55:30 am »

Well, Gozag does provide both the ability to summon shops and to give porridge for 100+ gp...  But considering the corpse-to-gold conversion is something like an orc turning into 6-18 pieces on the times when it otherwise would have dropped a corpse that could be butchered into multiple pieces...   Well, you're probably going to want some method of reducing your food requirements. 
especially if you're a carnivore who can't eat fruits and veggies, which tend to be the overwhelming majority of food store stockpiles

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12370 on: August 19, 2014, 06:57:45 am »

On an unrelated note, has anybody been able to really use Dithmenos well? He sounds cool on paper, but his abilities never seem to actually be useful in game. It seems like he's built for stabbers and casters more than anything, but even with them, I never seem to make it very far.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12371 on: August 19, 2014, 09:06:39 am »

Only thing I really noticed was the shadow mimic doing stuff like mimicking your big nasty attacks and big nasty spells.  At max piety you have about a 50% chance of doubling up on, say, a Crystal Spear or a smack with a holy wrath giant spiked club.  Yes, the brand also gets mimicked, the shadow is basically just giving you two attacks in the space of time it takes to do one.

Stack Spectral Weapon on top of that, and it's three attacks in the space of time it takes for one.  Or give yourself a battlesphere so you're casting three projectile spells at once (the battlesphere can't make spears, but it'll help out however it can). It's not exactly a broad reach of things, but it's something.  And there's a wiki page dedicated specifically to the pros and cons of Shadow Form, so that's clearly an ability that falls under "situational"...

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12372 on: August 19, 2014, 01:24:57 pm »

I played around with Dithmenos last tourny. He was really handy for the whole "make it really difficult to hit you" thing, but I'm not exactly the best player ever, so I can't really give much of an opinion on how he is through the game.

And yeah, I also really want it to be tourny time.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12373 on: August 19, 2014, 02:02:20 pm »

Tourny?

tilkau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12374 on: August 20, 2014, 09:30:09 am »

^ Per-major-version tournament.
For example: http://dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.12/overview.html

Normally timed to start just after the release of the given major version.

Anyway, devs seem to be winding up for the 0.15 release, so it can't be long now to the 0.15 tournament.
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 990