Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1601574 times)

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12375 on: August 20, 2014, 12:04:15 pm »

PTW, because I recently got back into this game. I have a hard time even getting to the lair...it's a bit disheartening >.>

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12376 on: August 20, 2014, 02:15:20 pm »

This is my ineptitude speaking, but I've never really quite grasped how Lugonu's corruption ability can really be used in a helpful way...  I don't generally like getting surrounded by eldritch tentacles and reapers suddenly...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12377 on: August 20, 2014, 03:19:46 pm »

This is my ineptitude speaking, but I've never really quite grasped how Lugonu's corruption ability can really be used in a helpful way...  I don't generally like getting surrounded by eldritch tentacles and reapers suddenly...

It's handy to "break" vaults; for example, rather than running the gauntlet of Snake 5, you can get near the vault, corrupt the area, and then flee for your life while demons kill everything. After the dust settles, walk back and you'll find a lot of the monsters are dead and there's likely to be a straight-line path to the rune since the walls will be all messed up. It's not a panic button (that's what the self-banish thing is for) but it's great if you want to break the logic of a dungeon floor.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12378 on: August 20, 2014, 07:55:29 pm »

IIRC the monsters that corrupt spawns are neutral and thus won't go out of their way to attack you - only if you attack first or they need to move into your square. Just spawn them and walk away.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12379 on: August 21, 2014, 01:42:33 am »

Okay, so I've got a decent character I think I might actually manage to ascend, and I've got 2/3 runes necessary to get into Zot. I was considering going for the Abyssal rune for the third one, but I wasn't entirely sure what to go for. Thoughts?

EDIT: By the way, I'm playing a pure melee worshipper of Qazlal, wielding a +11 morningstar with Holy Wrath and rFire++, and wearing +5 plate. I've got a fully enchanted shield, cloak, and helmet, as well as +1 artifact gauntlets giving +3 STR. I'm a level 19 gargoyle, with fighting at about 20, and maces, armour, and dodging at about 15. My invocations is at about 10, since that puts all of Qazlal's activated abilities well into acceptable range. I also have transolacations at about 10, with apportation being the only spell I know, with a 3% fail rate. I accidentally left the skill on, if you're wondering why transolacations is so high. Also, if you can't tell, I'm playing 0.15.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:46:49 am by flameboy99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12380 on: August 21, 2014, 02:46:23 am »

Seems like a nice character.
I would say that I find your fighting a bit high, and that you should either focus on armor or dodging on gargoyles (15 in each should be less effective than 22 in one, on that race).
Also, I don't know whether you know : at around 20 in invocation, the zone affected by Qazlal's abilities become bigger (a 5x5 square without the corners).
If I were you, I would either try to level armor, dodge, or invoc to level ~22, then focus on another of those, depending on whether you feel like you need more offense or defense.

About playing with Qazlal, I found out that Ghouls are really nice with him (even in sprints). Play as a monk for early powerful melee with the unharmed claws (never wear gloves, they disable the claws), get armor skill up once you find something good to wear, focus on invo -> 10 when you find qazlal's altar. Once you have Invo, unarmed, and armor at ~10, get 20 on invo (for bigger zones and more mana), then back to defense with dodging (if medium armor) or armor (if chain/plate/dragon armor), then unarmed/fighter to get non-mana damage (and more HP).
Pretty straightforward (4.5 skills to increase at first), still open to possibilities (find a great artifact shield ? get some shields up ! find a penetration triple Xbow ? get 20 on Xbows ! Find a rod of ignition ? Get 15 evo ! otherwise ? get some spellcasting !)

PS: Oh didn't really see your question. If you've got some mana reserve (and/or magic potions), you may want to try the Vault. Quazlal's big ability is great on the entry committee (especially if you have a scroll of immolation to read first), if you can cast it 3-4 times.
If you have some rCorr/rMut/clarity(or potions of curing), Slime is easier than before (and Quaz' sinple ability is good on the Royal Jelly, as it will kill the spawnlings while you focus it on TRJ.
Abyssal is always possible, and it's one of my favorite third rune, but many players don't like the randomness of the Abyss.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:50:23 am by tompliss »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12381 on: August 21, 2014, 03:11:35 am »

Alright, I've ultimately decided to go for the Vault. I've also replaced the +5 plate with +4 plate of magic resistance.
Also, I don't know whether you know : at around 20 in invocation, the zone affected by Qazlal's abilities become bigger (a 5x5 square without the corners).
I did not know that. I'll definitely be increasing Invocation.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12382 on: August 21, 2014, 04:10:06 am »

IIRC the monsters that corrupt spawns are neutral and thus won't go out of their way to attack you - only if you attack first or they need to move into your square. Just spawn them and walk away.

Yeah, they are neutral.  Thing is though, corruption centers on your location, and you can quite easily wind up mostly or completely surrounded by demons who suddenly decide that your tile is the one they really want to walk into.

--snip--

Any particular reason you like ghouls for Qazlal?  I'm wondering what the specific synergy is.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12383 on: August 21, 2014, 04:43:13 am »

When is the snail god whatsit useful, though?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12384 on: August 21, 2014, 04:48:21 am »

Not a real skill synergy, but a progression one, I'd say (other than both being rather powerful) :
unarmed ghouls don't really need a god to be viable during the early-mid game (until Lair:7). Their claws help their damage enough for them to be able to use heavy armor (that randomly slows unarmed attacks, even though this is negated by armor skill).
But they obviously lack elemental damage (no brand) and ranged damage (not high skill throwing). Qazlal bring both at once, and even some control (because of the clouds preventing intelligent enemies from reaching you, and magma pools preventing nearly every one. I don't use the elemental summoning much but they're really nice too when you need a HP buffer to escape a situation.
Moreover, the fact that, at high level, you get high damage non-elemental melee damage, elemental ranged AoE damage, multiple-at-once monsters summoning, heavy armor (including every aux slot except gloves) means that you "easily" get a well rounded character without spending too much XP (fighting, unarmed, armor, dodging, invocation) and without excluding the possibility of spells (as you would with Trog).
You can't deal holy/poison/negative energy damage with Qazlal, but I think you can do every other.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12385 on: August 21, 2014, 04:57:10 am »

Qazlal's abilities do phys/fire/cold/lightning, yeah.  Now, the thing about the elemental summoning is that it's undirected...  You can't pick which cloud or clouds it decides to turn into elementals.

Furthermore, even at max invocations and piety, the elementals only last for a ridiculously short period of time.  Like, 5 AUTs.  I'm not sure if this is intended behavior or not, or if there's some other factor I didn't manage to account for in my brief testing.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12386 on: August 21, 2014, 04:57:41 am »

When is the snail god whatsit useful, though?
Chei, by my understanding, is largely a challenge god. He does give some pretty high stat boosts, and slouch can clear rooms insanely quickly, and his other abilities can be very useful too, but he also severely slows you down, and forbids the use of any kind of haste or swiftness. However, I'm not exactly a veteran (In fact, I haven't even ascended a single character), so take what I say with a grain or 500 of salt.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12387 on: August 21, 2014, 05:10:17 am »

Chei is fun ! :D
With her, the way you play the game changes a bit (you don't want to get berserk/haste/swiftness like 80% of the characters that go for a long run), and changes which monster is a threat.
Chei is powerful, though. She enhances you in a way nearly no other god can (as you can build your character much more as an hybrid with the 15 bonus in stats helping you cast even with heavy armor and increasing your melee damage and EV).

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12388 on: August 21, 2014, 05:15:05 am »

Okay, turns out going to the vault was a really, really fucking bad idea. I got completely swarmed almost instantly, Disaster Area, while it did plenty of damage when the thing actually hit, seemed to carefully avoid every last enemy in there, several convokers appeared in places I couldn't hit them in (Upheaval does pretty much nothing but slightly ruffle their clothing, even at higher invocations levels), and when I finally managed to teleport out (Wardens locked the stairs, and there were countless of them), I was swamped by orcs, deep trolls, ogre shamans, deep elven annihilators, and liches. Keep in mind that this was all while I was at *** piety with Qal since I'd been using Disaster Area to try to thin out the horde, so between my clouds not coming nearly as often, me losing access to Disaster Area, and losing rMsl, I was completely and utterly screwed.

So much for all my good finds.

EDIT: And to rub salt in the wound, some jackass got on and told me I was a moron for using a Holy Wrath brand, despite the fact that it also was a +11 morningstar and gave rF++
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:16:36 am by flameboy99 »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12389 on: August 21, 2014, 11:51:55 am »

My ghost killed SomeStupidGuy's character today in the CAO bailey and there is no taking it back from them ;_;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: What in the world happened to the img tags >.>
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:16:25 pm by Reverie »
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 990