Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1600328 times)

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12855 on: January 16, 2015, 02:42:27 am »

I can second MFSKs are fun.  Fun Fact:  Sword of Jihad can be evoked as a spectral weapon.  Funner Fact:  It's pretty entertaining triple hitting with spec wep and Dith.

I'm pretty ashamed I didn't win with this one, though so far Snake 5 has been my downfall. I tried to dig to where I assumed the Serpent rune was, but one control Tele miscast finally finished this guy off. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, a +9 vamp longsword too.  Almost made up for no Rpois until it didn't.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:46:11 am by Not good with names »

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12856 on: January 16, 2015, 01:19:56 pm »

Sometimes vampiric weapons and poison let you get into a really bad situation without realizing.  Everything seems fine as you HPs are staying full, but the poison just adds up and up, so when you're not getting tons of HP back from your weapon, you suddenly realize you're losing tons of HP every turn.

Vampiric weapons in general really let you get yourself into trouble, because things seem to easily go from 'totally under control' to 'Oh crap I'm dead'

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12857 on: January 16, 2015, 02:35:53 pm »

I've recently started an MfSk, and I've found my early game strategy for anything moderately more powerful than a roach has been to run to the nearest water pool.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12858 on: January 18, 2015, 03:55:24 am »

I've recently started an MfSk, and I've found my early game strategy for anything moderately more powerful than a roach has been to run to the nearest water pool.

Its definitely not the easiest combo for surviving D1, but not at all bad either. Infusion will help a little bit. But if you just train polearms until D1 and D2 are cleared, you will already have like, 7 levels of skill, then train a bit of hexes to get Shroud and Spectral Weapon online, then once you have Spectral Weapon, its just ridiculously awesome. Spectral polearms are just fabulous.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12859 on: February 01, 2015, 03:58:41 pm »

Well, just splatted a win.  3 runes on the inspiratonally named "Beat it", and for some reason I thought I'd chance an abyssal rune.  Lessons learned: Don't Abyss: 5, use a disc of storms in Abyss: 5, not take the exit portal because I've got over 100 AC/EV/SH, become braindead and push forward, Thrash out with you rod of clouds because you forgot to switch to your quickblade.

Greed.  It's going to be a while before I get this sort of loot/mut luck again.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12860 on: February 01, 2015, 04:11:48 pm »

So of my characters who have gotten runes, 2 out of three of the deaths have been directly due to berserking.

I could count on one hand the number of times I've berserked with a character who had at least one rune :/
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12861 on: February 01, 2015, 04:29:35 pm »

Oh, I was pretty much dead anyway when I fired off the Berserk.  That was more of an emergency 'maybe with trog's Hand and a lucky wall disappearing a portal will appear if I can last 5-10 more turns' type move.  There was plenty I did on the way there that was much more unreasonable. 

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12862 on: February 01, 2015, 04:34:13 pm »

Never Abyss:5.
I clearly like the Abyss, but I never go in Abyss:5 with a character I want to continue ti play with. The risks are too high.
Abyss:3 is enough to see the rune, and if you've already got 5+ runes, you should be able to survive in Abyss:4.
Abyss:5 is only if you already have 14 runes, I think :D

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12863 on: February 01, 2015, 06:54:52 pm »

Oh, I was pretty much dead anyway when I fired off the Berserk.  That was more of an emergency 'maybe with trog's Hand and a lucky wall disappearing a portal will appear if I can last 5-10 more turns' type move.  There was plenty I did on the way there that was much more unreasonable.
I was just making a general comment because my most recent character died, didn't even realize you died berserking XD
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12864 on: February 11, 2015, 07:30:21 am »

so, apparently gargoyles are the new dark elves.
i now have ac 55, and can cast fire storm and crystal spear. feels like i broke the game.
still i am fairly confident ill manage to derp into something soon XD

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12865 on: February 12, 2015, 08:36:11 am »

I haven't played it in a while, and I've noticed that artifacts have now much higher +stat cap. Does it mean the stats have been reworked and e.g., +8 int is as good as +4 was earlier, or are the artifacts simply more powerful now?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12866 on: February 12, 2015, 12:15:26 pm »

They're not always more powerful, but the generation method has changed, and I think it has impacted this.
Previously, the "incremental" properties (Int+X, rf+, ...) could be selected only once (and had a random value). Now, they can be selected more than once (and the value of rF and rC are normally 1 if those are selected only once).
That means that an artifact with int+8 basically can be generated with int+4 twice, for example (whereas previously, the second roll of int+4 would have been rerolled or ignored).

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12867 on: February 13, 2015, 05:48:24 am »

I'm happily exploring Pan with my DsMo of Makhleb and 15 runes, but I've run into a bit of a problem. Nothing can kill me anymore. The only things I still do fear are very late mummy floors in the Ziggurat.

Winning the game is out of question as I did die in my first Zig (killing four of my ghosts afterwards). Now, this run is more like testing various end-game possiblities. So, do you have any suggestions to make game harder without being crippled (not wearing armor, etc)? I' thinking about taking Orb with me onto next Pan run.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12868 on: February 13, 2015, 07:00:22 am »

I'm happily exploring Pan with my DsMo of Makhleb and 15 runes, but I've run into a bit of a problem. Nothing can kill me anymore. The only things I still do fear are very late mummy floors in the Ziggurat.

Winning the game is out of question as I did die in my first Zig (killing four of my ghosts afterwards). Now, this run is more like testing various end-game possiblities. So, do you have any suggestions to make game harder without being crippled (not wearing armor, etc)? I' thinking about taking Orb with me onto next Pan run.
Let it go, Sarrak. There's nothing more to gain from this game. There is sunshine outside, there are beautiful birds, feathered and otherwise. Go, go! Your people need you!

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12869 on: February 13, 2015, 08:07:46 am »

Only the late mummy floors? Have you encountered the late fire floors? Though I guess if you do attract those orbs one by one somehow it can be fine.

You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 990