Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 862 863 [864] 865 866 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1603198 times)

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12945 on: June 17, 2015, 11:06:32 am »

Oops, yes. CAO it is. And yeah, it worked until 11th, but since then I played several games and still says my most recent game is from the 11th.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12946 on: June 17, 2015, 04:24:54 pm »

you know as annoying as it was it's too bad they removed proper corrosion

jellies used to be the terror of all adventurers, especially after their speed buff, but now you can thwap them happily and 5 until your wimpy status effect disappears

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12947 on: June 17, 2015, 05:13:57 pm »

I think the real danger of the new corrosion system is in Slime Pit , in which trying to rest until the effect go away can be very dangerous.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12948 on: June 18, 2015, 07:59:41 am »

Yeah, old Slime was "oh ok, my AC went from 30 to 28, good thing I have another cloak in my stash."

New Slime is "holy shit, my AC just went from 30 to 0, how do I get out of this?"

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12949 on: June 18, 2015, 09:44:57 am »

Even in other forks, that can happen. Not nearly as often, but I've had to use telescrolls on several occasions when a horde of jellies decided to fuck over my AC just before the gold dragon came into view.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12950 on: June 18, 2015, 02:01:02 pm »

So where's this heading in development?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12951 on: June 18, 2015, 02:07:56 pm »

As a maintainer of a different open source game, in a good direction, imo.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12952 on: June 18, 2015, 02:43:11 pm »

So what do you guys think about the removal of the spell twisted resurrection? I myself personally am disappointed although mind you, I've never casted it. My experience with this spell mostly consisted of playing a fighter, finding a book that contained it and then staring at it in awe, wishing I became a necromancer. Although there was one instance when I was a necromancer who found the book, but before I could get a high enough level to cast it properly, I died. I have read on the wiki what the spell does and that just makes me wish it wasn't removed.

So for any guys who did cast it, why did you think it was removed?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12953 on: June 18, 2015, 02:49:30 pm »

Having allies that will follow you through the whole game is a super restricted ability in Crawl.  Its even more restricted than healing.  AFAIK the only way to get it is gods, except for twisted resurrection which breaks the pattern.  My guess is it was removed for consistency with the other game mechanics and because I've heard its annoying to use.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12954 on: June 18, 2015, 03:11:40 pm »

Twisted resurrection was fun but I never found a practical use for it, there were always other spells readily available that were more useful. Maybe I just sucked with it and never discovered its full potential. Still kind of sad to see flavorful content removed even if it is fluff and mostly useless.
Another thing that I've never gotten much out of is Cigotuvi's Embrace. It's amazing when I'm worshiping Kiku but I don't get a lot of time in with that deity. Without corpse delivery it's too situational, and a lot of things later on don't even leave corpses. It's still a fun spell.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12955 on: June 18, 2015, 03:17:21 pm »

In the past, when i had a character with a focus on necromancy, Twisted Resurrection was awesome when you were following Kiku, with the corpse delivery service, you could build a few large abominations when adventuring in difficult situations.

No idea why it was removed, but it's been so many versions i didn't played a necromancy based character , that maybe they added spells doing +/- the same thing, and why they removed one ?

t0nedude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12956 on: June 19, 2015, 04:17:46 am »

I personally think the developers have lost their way (and have done for some time).  Haven't really played much since 0.12 (when I had my last win) but started losing interest before then, due to some of their dubious updates.

They seem to take away as much as they ever put in and make some strange changes that appear to exist purely for change sake.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12957 on: June 19, 2015, 12:52:24 pm »

In the past, when i had a character with a focus on necromancy, Twisted Resurrection was awesome when you were following Kiku, with the corpse delivery service, you could build a few large abominations when adventuring in difficult situations.

No idea why it was removed, but it's been so many versions i didn't played a necromancy based character , that maybe they added spells doing +/- the same thing, and why they removed one ?

It was removed because it created permanent allies, who could follow you up/down stairs.  To get them to actually do this required some wrangling at times, meaning you couldn't just autotravel.  Thus, optimal use of the spell meant you had to do some tedious stuff, which is enough to get the axe in crawl development.

I certainly don't agree with everything the devs do, and it seems sometimes like a lot of the people making development decisions don't actually have a great understanding of the actual game, but the overall development philosophy is very good, and has resulted in a great game.

It does still annoy me to see the devs making statements on the official forums that just don't jive with reality.  Unfortunately, like anything else, it's a project run by people, with all the horrible things that go along with that.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12958 on: June 19, 2015, 12:55:18 pm »

It does still annoy me to see the devs making statements on the official forums that just don't jive with reality.
What do you mean by that? I don't actually go on the crawl forums but I curious to hear what they say.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #12959 on: June 19, 2015, 01:01:08 pm »

I attempted the Slime Pits today, with an amulet of rCorr, thinking it would be enough, and I had plenty of escape items in case it wasn't. I realized how wrong I was when 4 golden eyes cornered me with permanent confusion.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 862 863 [864] 865 866 ... 990