Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1601968 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #13080 on: February 02, 2016, 03:54:28 pm »

-Dead Char-
Yeah, those resists are really low, your AC was pretty great, but the lack of any rF at all is nasty. I would say that even a standard lategame mage with rF++ would probably be more tanky against endgame fire enemies (eg. orbs of fire). Also, you probably shouldn't have bothered with that ring of strength, a plain ring of resistance (changed situationally) would have helped much more, notably a single pip of fire resistance would have reduced all incoming fire damage by 50%.
Plus, while maxwells does look so delicious, not being able to teleport away (or cast even level 1/2 spells) takes a huge chunk out of your survivability to the extent that I would say its a trap.
My current character has gotten disgustingly powerful...

+11 crystal plate mail with +Blink, +Fly, -9 MP, and +4 Str
O, plus I have a manual of dodging.... This may be the first time I reach Zot.
Damn, that is some fire crystal plate.

If you show us your chardump we might have some other advice there. Notably that you really want at least rF++ (and ideally rF+++) for the orbs of fire on zot 5.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13081 on: February 02, 2016, 04:07:34 pm »

-Dead Char-
Yeah, those resists are really low, your AC was pretty great, but the lack of any rF at all is nasty. I would say that even a standard lategame mage with rF++ would probably be more tanky against endgame fire enemies (eg. orbs of fire). Also, you probably shouldn't have bothered with that ring of strength, a plain ring of resistance (changed situationally) would have helped much more, notably a single pip of fire resistance would have reduced all incoming fire damage by 50%.
Plus, while maxwells does look so delicious, not being able to teleport away (or cast even level 1/2 spells) takes a huge chunk out of your survivability to the extent that I would say its a trap.

I have Lugonu for all escaping purposes (it works despite maxwells) and I dumped none of my exp points into spells. Although you are right, I should have switched maxwell's for a golden dragon armour I had lying around, but I overvalued my AC.

My luck with jewellery had been shit though. The best thing I got was a ring of resist neg and +5 protection. I had simple rings of resist fire, poison, and cold, but I never got a ring of resistance (fire and cold res). I could have bought more scrolls of aquirment and tried my luck with those though.

I see many mistakes that I made, and I hope I can do things better next time.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13082 on: February 02, 2016, 08:58:03 pm »

Lesson number 1: No armour with -tele is worth wearing.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13083 on: February 02, 2016, 09:11:16 pm »

I other news: while I applaud the dungeon crawl development team fro adhering to a strict design philosophy I am starting to feel more and more that things have been lost over the course of updates.

Everything is becoming way too.....convenient.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13084 on: February 02, 2016, 10:23:55 pm »

Lesson number 1: No armour with -tele is worth wearing.

eHHH, I'd argue Lugonu compensates for that pretty well. 's why Formicids make good Abyssal Knights. Plus that character lacked resists, so Maxwells might actually have been the right choice, at least until spellcasting in heavy armour became practical.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13085 on: February 03, 2016, 03:53:19 am »

I other news: while I applaud the dungeon crawl development team fro adhering to a strict design philosophy I am starting to feel more and more that things have been lost over the course of updates.

I definitely support some of the removed features--for example, item destruction and permanent gear corrosion both felt necessarily cruel. But, yeah, it is starting to feel maybe a little too stripped down no.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13086 on: February 03, 2016, 07:42:20 am »

I definitely support some of the removed features--for example, item destruction and permanent gear corrosion both felt necessarily cruel. But, yeah, it is starting to feel maybe a little too stripped down no.

Personally I think item destruction added lovely fear. The idea that shit can hurt you even when you have a full healthbar and tons of armour.
While dealing with low dungeon slimes wasn't exactly the most exiting part of the game, now they are just another auto fight enemy with a moderate force multiplier in their corrosion.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13087 on: February 03, 2016, 12:05:09 pm »

Well the alternative is "use the second best weapon and armor your have and toss them when you're done". For an experienced person it would just be tedious, a permanent inventory slot taken up by another weapon.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13088 on: February 03, 2016, 12:58:59 pm »

Well the alternative is "use the second best weapon and armor your have and toss them when you're done". For an experienced person it would just be tedious, a permanent inventory slot taken up by another weapon.

Basically, yeah. Also, "hey there's a fire enemy better go back to my stash and DROP ALL MY SCROLLS" ad nauseum.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13089 on: February 03, 2016, 01:32:19 pm »

Basically, yeah. Also, "hey there's a fire enemy better go back to my stash and DROP ALL MY SCROLLS" ad nauseum.

While I understand that the design philosophy is to avoid scumming behaviour, the only person you hurt by playing like that is yourself.

The point is that I now feel almost completely safe when playing the game, while it used to be a game of fear.

Draining attacks causing permanent xp damage is another one of those things that added fear but were removed.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13090 on: February 03, 2016, 02:52:25 pm »

One of DC:SS's guiding principles has always been removing tedium which detracts from the game. You can go back as far as when victory dancing got removed. It adds no depth to the gameplay, only a risk for the greedy. Potions being frozen/scrolls being burned were an overconfidence check. If your scrolls were valuable, you'd drop them so they weren't at risk every single time, once you learned to do that.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #13091 on: February 03, 2016, 02:57:39 pm »

A potion of lignification temporarily gives one rNeg+++. I found this out today when facing Grinder with a fairly new character with no escape items. I thought that the health buff from the potion would give me a fighting chance, but I ended up absolutely demolishing him as his spells had no effect.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13092 on: February 03, 2016, 10:23:13 pm »

I just send Grinder to the abyss and come back to kill him later...

(Someone should totally draw a short comic of exactly this happening, with all of the overpowered gear you aquire later  :D)

As for a comment on the previous versions, my opinion on this is completely shallow. I only stuck with this version because of twisted resurrection, a very cool spell that I liked a lot. Though I will say that the amount of objectively good improvements that 1.4 made (such as adding the depths) outnumber the ones that 1.5 made.

1.5 was a mixed bag. So was 1.6 but I think it was the better update (such as reintroducing the hall of blades)
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13093 on: February 04, 2016, 08:49:54 am »

So why was permanent xp damage from draining attacks removed?

What tedium did that add?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13094 on: February 04, 2016, 10:46:38 am »

So why was permanent xp damage from draining attacks removed?

What tedium did that add?

Uh... the tedium of grinding out more XP?
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 990