Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1601469 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #13785 on: July 20, 2016, 12:48:16 am »

It's still possible to have unfortunate neqoxec run-ins - this happened when I got banished to the Abyss and took a while to get out. (I ended up having to clear Snake:4 brainless and suffering from other assortments of bad status effects intermittently)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've also gotten fun sets of mutations from them (in other words, every single negative mutation unless I had the mutually exclusive positive mutation for it) and from going through Slime.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13786 on: July 21, 2016, 08:18:47 am »

For replacing hell effects, perhaps, waves of clouds? There are already special features that feature controlled clouds. So, for example, Gehanna would randomly fire off a single,cloud of fire, which would expand to a random size up to maybe a firestorm sized blast before fading. Perhaps an actual firestorm cloud to make it interesting, useful, but potentially deadly as well.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13787 on: July 21, 2016, 11:00:31 am »

Latest win, an OgSu with probably the lowest Summoning skill on any winning Summoner.

Nah, a MiSu starts with 2.9  ;)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13788 on: July 27, 2016, 05:52:44 pm »

Mi do not have class. They do not need class. All they have is an "initial difficulty/reliance on RNG" setting. In the end, all Mi are alike, besides the whims of the RNG. They all play as Fi/Gl/Be.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13789 on: July 27, 2016, 05:56:57 pm »

So what are some good tips for winning a wizard? (What's the easiest char, which god is better, etc.)

Edit: Armokdamnit, I didn't notice the doublepost. Sorry.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13790 on: July 28, 2016, 12:11:39 am »

I've done OK as a Gargoyle Earth ElementalistVehumet that branches into fire magic. It can be a bit hard to start, but I've gotten all the way through Dungeon/Lair/Shoals/Spider/Orc/Vault:1-4 and died in the Depths.

Edit: Why it's a decent character:
-Vehumet gives nice spells + some magic regen
-Gargoyles have low HP, but all the resistances (natural poison immunity, natural rN+ eventually, natural AC bonus), and eventually learn to fly
-The only resistance that applies to most Earth magic is AC.

You have to be very careful at the beginning, though - always try to wait for your magic to regenerate before exploring. If you see lots of enemies, try to lure a few away if possible. If not, run to some stairs (stairdancing if you can handle getting hit in melee by a few of them) to avoid getting overwhelmed (if you see orc priests/wizards or one of your ghosts too early, just run and try to skip the floor for now). Also, enchanted weapons are far better than unenchanted ones because they get accuracy and damage bonuses that are very noticeable at 0 skill.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:18:30 am by TheDarkStar »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13791 on: July 28, 2016, 12:17:35 am »

So what are some good tips for winning a wizard? (What's the easiest char, which god is better, etc.)

Edit: Armokdamnit, I didn't notice the doublepost. Sorry.
Dark elf conjurer of Vehumet, focusing on getting your spell power as high as possible, is a fairly simple way to play a mage.  You'll get annihilated sometimes because of your low survivability but its usually avoidable and it'll be a learning experience.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13792 on: July 28, 2016, 08:45:14 am »

It's been a long time i didn't had a Crawl character running, several version, so i downloiad the latest trunk and very quickly my Human Conjurer noticed a solutions the devs have been using to answer to people that were claiming that early dungeon was too boring : dart slugs.

Man, on low HP and no real protection new characters, they're rather dangerous, as i found them (luck or bad luck ?) to be very much more common on my first floor exploration than those very rare kobolds+wandofLV1playerinstakill or kobolds+blowgunofLV1playerfatalpoisoning i sometime encountered in past versions

I think they're good to teach the player good gameplay tips in term of avoiding approaching enemy in the open, or learning on how running away is a good tactic in Crawl.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13793 on: July 29, 2016, 09:56:13 am »

On my current character with a recent trunk version, i just picked up an "amulet of harm" , that's something i never saw on the older versions i played, apparently it is increasing the damage you're dealing, with the nasty side effect of having damage dealt to you increased too.

But how significant both side of the damage is, does the positive side make it really interesting or completely negligible, and does the negative side make it an actual death trap or nothing to worry about ?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13794 on: July 29, 2016, 12:13:21 pm »

On my current character with a recent trunk version, i just picked up an "amulet of harm" , that's something i never saw on the older versions i played, apparently it is increasing the damage you're dealing, with the nasty side effect of having damage dealt to you increased too.

But how significant both side of the damage is, does the positive side make it really interesting or completely negligible, and does the negative side make it an actual death trap or nothing to worry about ?

It depends on what kind of character you have. It's bad for melee characters because it essentially increases the volatility of fights you're in - you have fewer chances to use healing/buffing potions. On the other hand, it's good for ranged/magic characters because you can deal more damage before you are in melee range while saving on arrows/magic.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13795 on: July 29, 2016, 12:31:12 pm »

Thanks, i didn't thought it would work on spellcasters too, interesting to know.
I'll keep using my amulet of guardian then, as i'm on a berseker character this time; at least it's going to be some additional layer of help in melee once i'll get my evocation skill higher.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13796 on: July 29, 2016, 02:44:24 pm »

Thanks, i didn't thought it would work on spellcasters too, interesting to know.
I'll keep using my amulet of guardian then, as i'm on a berseker character this time; at least it's going to be some additional layer of help in melee once i'll get my evocation skill higher.

Yeah, guardian spirit will help you a lot more with that character.

(also, the wiki article for Amulets of Harm notes that torment damage is also increased, so there are some branches that no character would want to wear one in)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13797 on: July 30, 2016, 12:05:23 am »

I decided to try out a Merfolk Skald as a change of pace from a GrEE. As it turns out, it plays really differently. Instead of being magic + melee for things I'm too lazy to zap, it's essentially a melee character with lots of buffs + eventually a large damage increase/damage sink from Spectral Weapon. I had a good run with one (it made it to the Lair) but I'm still working on the skill distribution. Right now, I'm training Polearms/Charms/Emphasis on spellcasting (and allowing training on other spell schools to begin naturally). Next time I get that far, I intend to try disabling all spell schools to focus on Polearms/Fighting when the spells I have are at a 1% fail rate and I have no new books to memorize from.

Is this a good strategy? Also, is Oka a good god to pick?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13798 on: July 30, 2016, 12:48:49 am »

It depends on what kind of character you have. It's bad for melee characters because it essentially increases the volatility of fights you're in - you have fewer chances to use healing/buffing potions. On the other hand, it's good for ranged/magic characters because you can deal more damage before you are in melee range while saving on arrows/magic.

No. Mages are usually fragile already[Few high hp races with good magic apts + lighter armour]. Taking more damage voluntarily is incredibly dumb. Even if you could kill any creature in two hits[Which is more then Harm lets you do against the creatures that matter], you're still going down against larger crowds with any ranged attacks at all. By the time you can wreck those crowds with level 9 spells, Torment/Damnation make Harm outright suicide. You might be able to argue that Harm isn't actually a negative influence in the early Dungeon or MAYBE Lair, but I remain highly skeptical. ANY other amulet is better then Harm. Besides MAYBE Dismissal, which gives you the disadvantage of a Distortion weapon without giving you the benefit of Distortion damage.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13799 on: July 30, 2016, 08:54:12 am »

Code: [Select]
You climb downwards.
 You hear the hiss of flowing sand.
 There is an entrance to an ossuary on this level. Hurry and find it before the
 portal is buried!
 You hear the roar of battle.
 There is an entrance to a bailey on this level. Hurry and find it before the
 portal closes forever!

Didn't know that was possible! Weird, I've been playing since pre-SS days and this is the first time I've ever seen two timed portals generated on one level.
I think I saw three once (Bazaar and two others). Died trying to complete all three in time, though.

It is possible to complete two, but it depends heavily on layout and type of portal. Labyrinth, Bailey, WizLabs and some Ice Cave variants take the longest, second portal normally closes just as you reach the exit.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 990