Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1603235 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #14355 on: August 14, 2017, 06:06:15 pm »

Code: [Select]
HO     Mi       Mf      Gr      Dr      Ha      Tr      Gh      DD Total
1 xx xx x x 6
2 xx x x x 5
3 x x x xx x xx x 9
4 xx x x xxx xxx x xxx 14
5 xx x xxxxx xx x x x x 14
6 x xx xx xx x xx 10
7 xx x x x xx 7
8 x x x xx x x 7
9 xx x x x xx xxx 10
10 x x x x xx xxx x 10
11 x x x xx x 6
12 xx x 3
13 0
14 x xx x 4
15 x x 3
16 xx x x 4
17 xx 2
18 x 1
19 xx x 3
20 x 1
21 x 1
22 0
23 0
24 0
25 0
26 0
27 0
Win X 1

Comments:
1) I play each of the 'simple' (according to the race select screen) races in the order they appear above. Once I win with a race, I drop it out of the rotation and replace it with a race from the 'moderate' set.
2) I've been trying to play to a race's supposed strengths for the most part.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Deep Dwarf replaced Minotaur n my rotation even thogh it is at the bottom of the list of 'moderate' races in teh character select screen because I wanted an easy win.

Common causes of death:
Early on it seems that out of depth monsters and early uniques are my biggest problem. Maybe second biggest, after my fundamental difficulties with running away and tedium. Another problem I have occasionally is a 'rage game' where i play a game immediately after losing a character I have invested in. I tantrum a bit, and die. Plus, there are a couple races I just can't be bothered with all that much: halfling and ghoul, merfolk to a lesser extent,

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14356 on: August 15, 2017, 03:58:29 am »

Desolation of Salt can be surprisingly difficult if play a necromancer, and surprisingly easy if you play an earth elementalist :)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14357 on: September 26, 2017, 03:46:13 am »

Months after the burn-out I experienced from the tourney, I finally got my first actual win! It was only like 3-4 games in, too. A lot of luck with none of my good items really overlapping on slots, and some nice gifts from Okawaru, and it was a MiFi, but I'm still gonna post the dump cause I'm psyched.

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14358 on: September 26, 2017, 06:27:17 am »

Nice! Well done. Congrats on your first win!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14359 on: September 26, 2017, 08:47:41 am »

Months after the burn-out I experienced from the tourney, I finally got my first actual win! It was only like 3-4 games in, too. A lot of luck with none of my good items really overlapping on slots, and some nice gifts from Okawaru, and it was a MiFi, but I'm still gonna post the dump cause I'm psyched.

congrats. the first win is always the sweetest.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14360 on: September 26, 2017, 12:12:06 pm »

Congrats quinnr.  And while you have some nice equipment, it's not outrageously great stuff, so you shouldn't feel like it was just lucky drops that got you the win. 

Feel free to ignore the following unsolicited advice:

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14361 on: September 30, 2017, 12:00:00 pm »

So Troll berserkers seem to have always been advertised as an 'easy' combo but for some reason I have more trouble with them then almost any other species.

I just always get destroyed by their horrible defense, on all 3 fronts, AC, EV and lack of elemental resists due to less armor.

It might just be bad luck though.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14362 on: September 30, 2017, 03:26:09 pm »

With trolls, you have great HP and regen.  You are super strong, and your unarmed attacks are awesome (If you're playing troll, you should be doing unarmed). 

You need to train fighting and dodging with them starting from the beginning. Trolls can have good ev.  Consider a shield (troll fighter starts with one).  While it does hurt your offense a little, it's worth it for a troll, who needs whatever defense it can get.

Trolls can wear dragon armor and troll skin armor. You can usually get a set of troll skin armor pretty early on, as every troll has a decent chance to drop it.

If you get in trouble early on with a troll, don't be afraid to run around a little to regen HP while the monsters are chasing you.  You will out regen them easily.
I like Oka for trolls, rather than trog.  You've got a decent chance for armor gifts, and lots of large rocks.  Oh yeah, train throwing, large rocks are great.

Trolls are "easy" but their power curve feels a lot different than most.  The aptitudes make it look like it's not worth training defenses much, and the offense is so great early on you can get away with it. But then you hit a brick wall when your offense isn't enough to keep up.

Welp... now you've done it. I've got to win a troll now.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14363 on: September 30, 2017, 07:20:34 pm »

Since I began charting my adventures in the species, I've had more higher level characters with minotaur, gargoyle (EE), deep dwarf, and hill orc than with trolls, though I have been going with monk of Oka rather than berserker. I tend to hit a wall around level 10 with trolls. They do better (or at least, i do better with them) than ghoul, draconian (magic class), and merfolk, but yeah, they definitely have some glaring weaknesses that need addressed if you want much success with one.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14364 on: October 01, 2017, 12:44:10 am »

If you want to try an unorthodox troll, try aiming for statueform. You lose surprisingly little the process since the skills the benefit that are almost exactly what you'd want to be taking as a troll meleer. It'll probably take until the end of The Lair to get it rolling though.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14365 on: October 01, 2017, 01:45:26 am »

My first win was a troll hunter of Nemelex Xobeh.  Its like being a shitty spellcaster on top of everything else a troll hunter is.  Between throwing large rocks and dealing 4 from legendary decks you have a lot of burst options.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14366 on: October 01, 2017, 02:34:40 am »

Nemelex now is ultranerfed. You won't get hundreds upon hundreds of decks, only low tens if you are lucky. Trolls of Nemelex were quite fun, though.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14367 on: October 01, 2017, 12:06:39 pm »

The only time I really did something with Nemelex was with an amulet of faith. All my inventory was filled with legendary decks. When you are at max level in Invocation, it's really really strong (tier 1 demon or huge blast).

I eventually died in Vault. I killed myself with a legendary deck of destruction...
It was actually fun (or !!FUN!!)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14368 on: October 02, 2017, 02:10:17 pm »

OK, my first attempt at winning a troll failed.
I started as a troll fighter.  I trained unarmed, fighting, shield, and dodging from the beginning, with unarmed focused.  When I reached the temple, I picked up oka.

I turned on invo, and trained it up to 7, then turned it off.  This gets heroism a decent duration, and gives fairly good failure % for finesse.
I turned off shields at 9 skill, and turned on throwing at some point. 

I cleared lair, orc, and dungeon.  I was tabbing through death yaks, and even the dire elephants at the end of lair were nothing.
Orc was easy too, I blew through that without any difficulty, or even much thought...

At this point, I had acid dragon armor, +2 cloak and hat, and a regular old shield.  Nothing really special. Amulet of faith and an rpois ring and rcold ring.

I got snake and shoals for my lair branches. Ugh... 
I tabbed my way through the first 2 floors of snake easily.  In fact, it was too easy, so much so I totally had turned off my brain, so when lamia showed up with her gang, I managed to get knocked down 14 hps before I actually took note of the situation.  I had blink scrolls, I had healing potions... I could easily have survived.  Instead... I invoked finesse. Then I died.

My observations seemed to remain correct.  By making sure to focus on defenses from the beginning of the game, I never hit that mid game slump that's common with trolls.  In fact, a slump would have helped, as I would have been a bit more careful...

When I can bear the thought of trying again, I'll post my results here.  But for people struggling with trolls, or just looking for an easy combo, I'd strongly recommend a Troll Fighter of Oka.  I also recommend paying attention, but then, that's easier said than done.

On the topic of statue form trolls: Hell yeah!  When I want a 15 rune win, that's my go to.  I typically play it as a TrMo, as I'd rather have the extra int instead of the STR the fighter gets.  Not starting with a shield means the midgame can get a little ugly, but the plan is to hopefully find statueform at some point, and from that point on keep training earth magic, transmutations, and a little spellcasting until it's castable, hopefully without spreading myself too thin in the process.  But with that strategy I'm usually hoping for usable statue form around the end of depths.  I also avoid training any armor skill since I'm ideally hoping for archmagi robes.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14369 on: October 02, 2017, 04:05:52 pm »

OK, my first attempt at winning a troll failed.
I started as a troll fighter.  I trained unarmed, fighting, shield, and dodging from the beginning, with unarmed focused.  When I reached the temple, I picked up oka.

I turned on invo, and trained it up to 7, then turned it off.  This gets heroism a decent duration, and gives fairly good failure % for finesse.
I turned off shields at 9 skill, and turned on throwing at some point. 

I cleared lair, orc, and dungeon.  I was tabbing through death yaks, and even the dire elephants at the end of lair were nothing.
Orc was easy too, I blew through that without any difficulty, or even much thought...

At this point, I had acid dragon armor, +2 cloak and hat, and a regular old shield.  Nothing really special. Amulet of faith and an rpois ring and rcold ring.

I got snake and shoals for my lair branches. Ugh... 
I tabbed my way through the first 2 floors of snake easily.  In fact, it was too easy, so much so I totally had turned off my brain, so when lamia showed up with her gang, I managed to get knocked down 14 hps before I actually took note of the situation.  I had blink scrolls, I had healing potions... I could easily have survived.  Instead... I invoked finesse. Then I died.

My observations seemed to remain correct.  By making sure to focus on defenses from the beginning of the game, I never hit that mid game slump that's common with trolls.  In fact, a slump would have helped, as I would have been a bit more careful...

When I can bear the thought of trying again, I'll post my results here.  But for people struggling with trolls, or just looking for an easy combo, I'd strongly recommend a Troll Fighter of Oka.  I also recommend paying attention, but then, that's easier said than done.

On the topic of statue form trolls: Hell yeah!  When I want a 15 rune win, that's my go to.  I typically play it as a TrMo, as I'd rather have the extra int instead of the STR the fighter gets.  Not starting with a shield means the midgame can get a little ugly, but the plan is to hopefully find statueform at some point, and from that point on keep training earth magic, transmutations, and a little spellcasting until it's castable, hopefully without spreading myself too thin in the process.  But with that strategy I'm usually hoping for usable statue form around the end of depths.  I also avoid training any armor skill since I'm ideally hoping for archmagi robes.

Well this is pretty much my experience so far. You maul through everything and then suddenly you underestimate one situation and your low defense screws you over.

All my deaths were situations were I thought I was in complete control until being brought to the brink of death in a couple of turns.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 990