Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1602274 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #14535 on: January 11, 2018, 03:02:31 am »

Iron shot, definitively. Very strong, and very effective against OoF.
Forget Bolt of Magma (3 schools, you don't really need fire school). With only 2 spell (Lee rapid deconstruction and Iron shot) you can win the game. Don't spread yourself with a lot of schools, and focus instead on fewer of them.

I won with a GrEE and finished the 3 runes game with these :
  Skills:

* Level 21.4 Fighting
 - Level 12.0 Staves
 - Level 19.1 Armour
 - Level 6.0 Dodging
 + Level 21.4 Shields
 - Level 0.2 Unarmed Combat
 - Level 18.0 Spellcasting
 + Level 22.0 Conjurations
 - Level 3.0 Hexes
 - Level 4.0 Charms
 - Level 3.1 Summonings
 - Level 3.0 Necromancy
 - Level 5.3 Transmutations
 O Level 27 Earth Magic
 - Level 17.0 Invocations
 - Level 16.0 Evocations

I had very few spells, too :

a - Summon Butterflies    Summ           ######..     14%         1    None
b - Stone Arrow           Conj/Erth      ######       0%          3    None
c - Petrify               Tmut/Erth      ########     1%          4    None
d - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      ######....   34%         3    None
e - Lee's Rapid Deconstr  Erth           #########.   1%          5    None
f - Passwall              Tmut/Erth      #########.   1%          2    None
g - Spellforged Servitor  Conj/Summ      ########..   93%         7    #......(never used it, though, found it at the end of the game).
h - Leda's Liquefaction   Hex/Erth       ########..   1%          4    None
i - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       ######..     32%         2    None
j - Iron Shot             Conj/Erth      #########.   1%          6    None
k - Shatter               Erth           #########.   77%         9    ######. (never used it, though, found it at the end of the game).

I had quite high failure rate because i found a +8 orange crystal plate armour which, combined with a staff of earth, gave me actually a lvl 29 in earth and 65 AC with 33 SH.

You can 2 or 3 shot even the most powerful foes (like Ancien Liches) with Iron shot. Don't bother with Bolt of Cold or Bolt of Magma ! (which is, in the latter case, a bad spell anyway)
Petrify can help with 2 things : Slow enemies to run if necessary, or petrify them to make explose them. But the second one is practical. You have to wait for the enemy to be stoned for full explosion, and his friends may have moved a lot in the same time.

About order, i suggest you finish dungeon, or at least until 14 before going to orc. Orc can be sometimes surprisingly hard, and you can't run so easily like in Dungeon. I suggest you finish Dungeon, therefore, and be quite careful here.

(sorry for bad english, it's not my main language)

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14536 on: January 11, 2018, 05:10:17 am »

Gratz Inarius!
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14537 on: January 11, 2018, 08:28:01 am »

Should I memorize Bolt of Cold (might not be available later..) or Iron Shot (which would be immediately castable)?

Also what is the use of Petrify? I used it against basilisks for flavor and then killed them with LRD. I have the impression that LRD on petrified stuff is rather ineffective. It was much more effective to kill the basilisks in melee with my whip of electrocution (without any weapon skill).

Just to second what Inarius already said: Iron Shot is awesome, learn iron shot.
Also, realise that petrify+lrd is not about killing the monster you petrify, which will happen, but only relatively slowly. Its about killing the monsters standing next to the monster you petrify, who will die quickly. So petrify the normal orc, step back maybe, then LRD the normal orc, killing the warriors and wizards around it.

Also, LRD is ridiculous. Its damage is ridiculous. Yeah yeah, monsters sometimes have AC, blah blah. Do not underestimate LRD. Pair it with something to slow monsters down (you could use petrify, but later, butterflies are really the best), and its ridiculously ridiculously in enclosed areas. I had a really sad pathetic character demolish a juggernaut containing vault in Depths with butterflies and LRD... Actually, LRD is ok, its butterflies which is ridiculous, but nevermind. Use LRD.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14538 on: January 11, 2018, 02:02:09 pm »

Also, LRD is ridiculous. Its damage is ridiculous.

You can also beat very easily some of the most annoying monsters : Statues, and golems.

If you are a GrEE, however, be VERY CAREFUL if you meet this one :
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Jorgrun
He will LRD you, or even worse: shatter. He can more or less One-shot you. So be wise, and flee. It doesn't matter if you don't kill him.
TRUST ME. I lost one of my best try on him, in the vault.

By the way : The wiki is up, again.

No more mutagenic meat :(. I somehow liked this mini-game :)

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14539 on: January 11, 2018, 02:19:28 pm »

Use cancellation if you're getting petrified by Jorgrun. He will oneshot petrified players. Drinking flight beforehand can reduces the damage of shatter (unless you're a gargoyle).
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14540 on: January 11, 2018, 03:04:26 pm »

Did take my GrEE to the swamp and got the rune! Yay :) However, I feel that it arrived at some kind of dead end: only 2 rations available in the game. How to deal with the lack of food? Go to Elf? I fear going to Spider due to lack of SInv and Ghost mots.

Noticed that I wear amulet of regeration. Drop it until food supply improves?

The loot in the dungeon was really disappointing: one artefact, no useful armour and jewelry.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14541 on: January 11, 2018, 03:14:12 pm »

I thought the metabolism increase for AoRs were removed a few versions back, in the same one that made a lot of passive equipment not take effect until a logical condition was met (usually time, full HP, or full MP).
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14542 on: January 11, 2018, 03:53:27 pm »

With 1 rune, (in this case decaying), you could also go to Vaults or the depths. As depths are certainly more dangerous than the other two, you choose between Elf and Vaults. Vaults have all the humanoids + shapeshiters and dragons, Elven halls have Elves, Elementals, Animated weapons, Orcs. Both can be deadly.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14543 on: January 11, 2018, 04:06:11 pm »

As depths are certainly more dangerous than the other two, you choose between Elf and Vaults.

I'd also make sure to avoid going to the last floor of the Vaults and only clearing near the stairs of Elf until you're more confident. Easy to get in over your head there; the Depths is safer, though you're practically guaranteed at least decent loot in those two.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14544 on: January 11, 2018, 04:17:21 pm »

Died :/ No resistancies - no chance.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14545 on: January 12, 2018, 08:33:48 am »

Thanks Sarrak. Playing a Beogh orc now, got the 1st 2 runes (shoal & snake), though not doing great keeping orcs alive. Nergalle was an amazing ally but lost her somewhere.  Anyway my last 2 are:

Learuk the orc warlord
Norbak the iron giant

Norbak is a crackup. I didn't even see what happened (polymorph wand?) but he seems stuck, shrug, not complaining. Seems to like hurling my orcs into melee.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14546 on: January 12, 2018, 09:30:49 am »

Thanks Sarrak. Playing a Beogh orc now, got the 1st 2 runes (shoal & snake), though not doing great keeping orcs alive. Nergalle was an amazing ally but lost her somewhere.  Anyway my last 2 are:

Learuk the orc warlord
Norbak the iron giant

Norbak is a crackup. I didn't even see what happened (polymorph wand?) but he seems stuck, shrug, not complaining. Seems to like hurling my orcs into melee.
LOL. Well, it was certainly a Zot Trap. At least in 0.19, there was a funny bug - if you get out of the floor where your orc transformed and Recall - you get your ally in all his gear back. While his transformed self still follows. I was able to accidentally duplicate GDA this way. Funny times.

Btw, you should not be able to recall your iron giant ally (its orc-resticted ability), but he should prove a great addition if you manage to keep him around.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14547 on: January 12, 2018, 09:46:07 am »

He seems to recall which I didn't think would work. (Maybe his name makea him an orc? )

Norbak throws your orc at the boggart! The boggart dies! Beogh accepts your kill.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:47:45 am by wobbly »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14548 on: January 12, 2018, 10:04:29 am »

He seems to recall which I didn't think would work. (Maybe his name makea him an orc? )

Norbak throws your orc at the boggart! The boggart dies! Beogh accepts your kill.
Hilarious. Well, either devs patched it up, or it is actually works like that, but I always interjected before memory of my orc was overwritten or something. Might test that.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14549 on: January 12, 2018, 10:45:56 am »

That moment when you Kobold Conjurer and you see an altar of Vehumet on floor 2...

...only to walk over to it and spot Sigmund sleeping 2 tiles away from it.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 990