Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1603728 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #14565 on: January 22, 2018, 04:44:21 am »

Dwachs : wow your dim light amulet is really really good ! 6 ranks of resists !

yeah, ice caves can be very dangerous. The "beasts" one (with yaks, polar bears and wolves, finishing with a frost giant) are quite easy, considering you can flee and/or fight in 1vs1 corridor. But the simulacrum + freezing cloud or with 3 statues can be painful // deadly.

I find volcanoes easier.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14566 on: January 22, 2018, 01:13:42 pm »

Wow current game is turning out the easiest run I've ever had. Start Minotaur fighter. Lvl 1 amulet of faith. Lvl 2 altar of Oki. Lvl 4, +8 large shield with double rfire. Smashed through most of lair with the starting +0 long sword. Still waiting for the RNG to turn on me...

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14567 on: January 23, 2018, 02:54:26 am »

Zot:4 : killed by 3 OoF, or banished in the abyss.

Or, even better

Slime:4 : Killed by an enormous slime creature :p

You'll see !

On the other hand, MiFi is much easier than anything else, so you have your chance if you keep your vigilance!

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14568 on: January 25, 2018, 12:57:30 am »

Zot:4 : killed by 3 OoF, or banished in the abyss.

Or, even better

Slime:4 : Killed by an enormous slime creature :p

You'll see !

On the other hand, MiFi is much easier than anything else, so you have your chance if you keep your vigilance!

Much stupider. Mass shock serpent swarm without relec. Didn't bail early enough as I'd been cracking the smaller groups just fine.

Got a bit of an obsession with troll casters at the moment and I don't understand why it recommends the earth elementalist over the necromancer. Is there something I'm missing? Looking at the spell list there's very little pure earth. Sandblast - I can just throw the rocks, LRD - great but petrify is a transmution & needs high enough skill to beat their resistance which leaves shatter which is lvl 9 & a big investment on a troll. The worst earth casters (tengus) are better at half that spell list. Just don't see a lot that looks handy for a troll.

Necromancy on the other hand has plenty of pure necromancy & some handy low skill spells. Seems to work just fine (I'mmostly clawing rather then casting)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14569 on: January 25, 2018, 01:01:56 am »

LRD works on walls too, for the record. And Passwall is a solid utility spell that even trolls can get castable fairly quickly.

The true strength of a TrEE is that, if you find a book with Statue Form in it, you'll already have ok Int and some Earth/Transmutations pretrained. Statue Form with Troll is absolutely ridiculous, once you get it off the ground.

That said, I'd probably go for TrAE[Swiftness] or TrWz[Blink+Conjure Flame] over TrNe[Animate Skeleton].
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14570 on: January 25, 2018, 04:58:51 am »

Yeah tried the wizard & blink was nice but it seemed less reliable then sticking an imp in the way. You can't really blink away from bee swarms without ending up in a worse spot. Where as you can swap in a skele then cast regen.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14571 on: January 25, 2018, 05:21:53 am »

Necromancer is good but there are quite a lot of monsters immunised or resistant to N, and while on the other hand, noone is resistant to pure dmg :)
I'm a big fan of earth magic

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14572 on: January 25, 2018, 11:12:18 am »

Necromancer is good but there are quite a lot of monsters immunised or resistant to N, and while on the other hand, noone is resistant to pure dmg :)
I'm a big fan of earth magic

Iron shot is one of the best spell for any class that relies on magic for damage.

Easy to learn, long range, irresistable damage and usable in any situation.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14573 on: January 25, 2018, 03:47:09 pm »

One of my previous endgame MiFi, decked out in an artifact large shield with reflection (plus a backup warlock's mirror), artifact crystal plate armor that was at like +12, r+++ in all resists, Clarity, two levels of Robust, three levels of Regeneration, and a maxed out(?) Wyrmbane would beg to differ. =D

...Okay, the Robust/Regen mutations didn't survive the orb run.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14574 on: January 25, 2018, 09:20:11 pm »

Thought I'd drop my congrats to the bay12 teams for the good showing in the recent tourney.  The champs got in the top 20, which ain't bad at all. 

Also Shock serpents/Spark Wasps are now why I start training evocations by the time I hit lair.  Enslave or Paralyze everytime.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14575 on: February 02, 2018, 09:15:11 am »

I have finally won with an Ice Elementalist

After 80 tries with a draconian, i won after only 4 tries with a demonspawn.
Easier than I expected but I had a lot of luck on demonspawn evolution.

Good thing to know if you play a demonspawn. Around 14, your mutations become permanent. I had drunk 1 potion of mutation before, and had +20% HP. And it became a +30% at lvl 20 and I ended with 250 hp, while becoming a permanent trait (the whole mutation)

I think that, in general demonspawn mutation tend to reenforce already existing mutations.

So, you can drink some mutation potions before lvl 14, and try to have something good (resists or life, or wild magic), and, when they become permanent, you can drink again to add new mutations (while keeping some potions in case of teleportis or worse).

Here  : http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/Inarius/morgue-Inarius-20180202-132340.txt

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14576 on: February 02, 2018, 09:34:49 am »

I am pretty sure that robustness is a valid Ds mutation.
You just got unlucky, and instead of getting another good mutation, on XL 18, you permanetized Robust 1, on XL 20 you permanetized Robust 2 and on XL 23 you got Robust 3.

You could have had Robust 2 (!mutation) and Augumentation 3 (Ds)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14577 on: February 02, 2018, 09:58:16 am »

Your Ds mutations are pregenerated at the start of the game. So, unfortunately, you have zero control on them on already generated character (although you can always start a new one).
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14578 on: February 02, 2018, 09:58:24 am »

I have finally won with an Ice Elementalist

After 80 tries with a draconian, i won after only 4 tries with a demonspawn.
Easier than I expected but I had a lot of luck on demonspawn evolution.

Good thing to know if you play a demonspawn. Around 14, your mutations become permanent. I had drunk 1 potion of mutation before, and had +20% HP. And it became a +30% at lvl 20 and I ended with 250 hp, while becoming a permanent trait (the whole mutation)

I think that, in general demonspawn mutation tend to reenforce already existing mutations.

So, you can drink some mutation potions before lvl 14, and try to have something good (resists or life, or wild magic), and, when they become permanent, you can drink again to add new mutations (while keeping some potions in case of teleportis or worse).

Here  : http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/Inarius/morgue-Inarius-20180202-132340.txt

huh, that's some interesting changes to Ds. there was a period when mutation roulette was a net positive, iirc... how good is just autoquaffing muts these days?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14579 on: February 02, 2018, 09:59:08 am »

You could have had Robust 2 (!mutation) and Augumentation 3 (Ds)

i played godknows how many Ds and never once got augmentation
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 990