Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1603365 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #14580 on: February 02, 2018, 04:17:53 pm »

huh, that's some interesting changes to Ds. there was a period when mutation roulette was a net positive, iirc... how good is just autoquaffing muts these days?

In my opinion? Bad, unless you have spares; despite tending towards positive effects from it, getting rid of the notable negative ones outweigh the benefit of acquiring the beneficial ones early. If you're sitting on a pile of them, then go for it, until you end up with some of the really nice ones. (I like Clarity and SeeInvis, myself.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14581 on: February 03, 2018, 08:19:04 am »

Death Yaks on D:8 are pretty hardcore. Lost yet another character :)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14582 on: February 21, 2018, 03:08:53 am »

You should flee as soon as you see one, and come back later. I do this against Mennas on a regular basis.

I just won with a very very fun character. Demonspawn gladiator (played as a warrior, actually).
Never had so much fun.

I bought http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Firestarter very early, took Mahkleb and had "powered by death" mutation, rank 3, very early too. I cumulated this with a guardian spirit amulet, and, lately, a +20% HP Mutation.

So :
298 hp basis + 43 mp (i didn't use any spell so it was just used as life poll) + instant regen on kill + progressive regen after each kill.
I just spammed "tab" on Vault 5 and it was a rampage. I even "tabbed" Zot and Crypt. I didn't want to go further than 3 runes because I wanted to finish this quick, but I think I could have done this really easy.
I just nearly died once in Ziggurat because I lacked 3 ranks of rN+ against cursed toes but managed to flee with blinking scrolls.

Moreover, I had a very interesting Crystal Plate armor (Str+2 Dex+4 Slay+3), associated with a +6 slay ring, and a +6 Str ring and +6 Str boots, which sent me to 37 Str and 27 Dext.

Very very strong indeed.

Here : http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/Inarius/morgue-Inarius-20180220-140056.txt

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14583 on: February 21, 2018, 12:07:19 pm »

You probably wouldn't have had much trouble going for 15 runes with that character, but Tomb and Hells would have been somewhat harder than Crypt/Zot/Vault 5 because of frequent Torments and a lack of corpses. Hence the trouble in the ziggurat (although 3 Cursed Toes at once is a lot).

(or maybe not, I haven't played much in a few years)

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14584 on: February 22, 2018, 12:51:34 am »

Interesting how many resistance holes you have. My beastman win was similar-ish (+30% hps +magic shield/regen/link). Just comparing dumps I was arguably more buff yet couldn't thump my way through the last level of zot due to the fire orbs. Guess 3 rfire trumps mosts things there (I had only 1). I'd link if I wasn't on my phone, it's bottom of page 979 with default post per page.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14585 on: February 22, 2018, 03:02:22 am »

Yeah, I lacked a lot of resistance (and didn't have any good stuff to deal with it), and that's why I didn't go further, but rF+++ is the only thing you need in Zot, if you are strong enough to kill things quickly.
I could have done abyss easily, probably Slime, too, and Gehenna, but that's all !

Moreover, Mahkleb (which you didn't have with your beast ) + powered by death (which you didn't have with your beast !) + 10 points of Str more than you which helps. But powered by death + Mahkleb means eternal life as long as there are people around. Firestarter does this job -> half of the level comes to fight you with continuous huge noise.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14586 on: February 26, 2018, 01:31:20 am »

Does anybody seem to have a recurring problem with immediately going up then down the stairs? I've had it happen occasionally for years, across multiple computers and keyboards, online and off, but always attributed it to user error due to playing at a high speed. This time though, I was being unusually careful as I was actually getting somewhere... and it happened twice in a row. Right next to a very large slime creature. As a deep elf. Has anybody else had that issue?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14587 on: February 26, 2018, 04:51:30 pm »

AOI, I haven't had that particular issue, but I had a sort of similar issue in that it had to do with the controls doing weird stuff.

On one of my work laptops, when I'd try to play webtiles, a lot of the time a command wouldn't go through, and I'd have to 'unclog' the buffer to make it go through.  This resulted in me taking extra steps, walking past enemies, all sorts of silly problems.  I sorta was able to workaround it by pressing space a dozen times between each command, but that's annoying.  When I disabled the AV and firewall package, that problem disappeared.

So that's sort of my best guess. Something's screwing with your websocket packets, be it malware, firewall, antivirus, weird router...

Does this happen if you play offline? Do you ever get weird key outputs outside of crawl? I know websocket is... old and weird, and I've witnessed random things having odd effects on it.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14588 on: February 26, 2018, 10:41:41 pm »

AOI, I haven't had that particular issue, but I had a sort of similar issue in that it had to do with the controls doing weird stuff.

On one of my work laptops, when I'd try to play webtiles, a lot of the time a command wouldn't go through, and I'd have to 'unclog' the buffer to make it go through.  This resulted in me taking extra steps, walking past enemies, all sorts of silly problems.  I sorta was able to workaround it by pressing space a dozen times between each command, but that's annoying.  When I disabled the AV and firewall package, that problem disappeared.

So that's sort of my best guess. Something's screwing with your websocket packets, be it malware, firewall, antivirus, weird router...

Does this happen if you play offline? Do you ever get weird key outputs outside of crawl? I know websocket is... old and weird, and I've witnessed random things having odd effects on it.

If you hit Ctrl+R, that's the command to redraw the screen which should fix any kind of issues like that with screen display being wonky.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14589 on: April 11, 2018, 10:33:05 am »

Question: Ive been mucking about with the new gods, the Wu Jian. I was thinking a spriggan monk would be amazing with them. Am i wrong?
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14590 on: April 11, 2018, 11:20:58 am »

I think that your martial attacks deal less damage the higher your movement speed is, to make up for you getting more of them. So a Spriggan Monk would probably be the actual worst combo for Wu Jian. Wu Jian wants you to be in the thick of things whirlwinding everyone, which is just awful for Spriggans with their tiny health and AC. And Monks are just the actual worst background for everything.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14591 on: April 11, 2018, 02:09:12 pm »

Who would be best for them then? Im really interested in their mechanics
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14592 on: April 11, 2018, 02:20:16 pm »

Disclaimer: I've never actually played Wu Jian.

Probably melee Vine Stalkers. They really like being able to get more antimagic bites per turn, which whirlwind lets them do. I don't know if using some super fast weapon with a quick blade would be a good idea, but its probably a better idea with that build then it would be usually. Especially since Lunge is apparently really great for stabbing things.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14593 on: April 11, 2018, 02:23:14 pm »

I thought a Skald might be nice. Get those buffs going, get in their, rapid-fire to get Song of Slaying ungodly high
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14594 on: April 12, 2018, 05:51:33 am »

Argh just lost a kobold warrior on the last level of zot. Sucks to get the midget fighter so far only to die. Had a eudemon sword paired with bloodbane in the end too. Oh well started an HoFe of Malekeb & this seems quite fun. As soon as I found a ring of fire I started blowing things up with inner flame whether they were in my face or not.
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 990