Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1602144 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #14610 on: May 02, 2018, 12:23:56 pm »

After clearing Lair and Orcs completely, just before going into a rune-branch from the Lair, i decided to explore a bit of the 1st Depths and i was surprised by the amount of monsters in there.

I already knew from the past versions since the introduction of the Depths that to make it different from the upper part of the dungeon, those floors had seen an increase of difficulty with the powerful monsters starting to spawn in it, but in this 0.21.x i wasn't prepared by the sheer amount of them jumping on my character and his lava bolt-totting ancestor.

Barely escaped alive and went back to Lair in order to start its branches then (as there's nowhere else to go for more XP)

Was it just just bad luck, or did they up-ed a lot the amount of monsters in the Depths for some reason ?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14611 on: May 02, 2018, 05:21:24 pm »

It really depends on the type of Depths you have. Some are very opened, and noise can therefore attract a LOT of monsters. But some are more empty, or at least not so much.

BTW, you should really avoid these incursion (unless you want another stupid death :) ), Depths are really harder than dungeon (and you should even do Lair before D:14 or D:15 which can be deadly for you).
Always remember : it's not because it seams easy that it will still be in 2 corridors :)

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14612 on: May 02, 2018, 05:55:33 pm »

That's a loaded trove, Ozarck.

Barely escaped alive and went back to Lair in order to start its branches then (as there's nowhere else to go for more XP)

Was it just just bad luck, or did they up-ed a lot the amount of monsters in the Depths for some reason ?
Depths has some hard-hitting monsters and a lot of passageway corners with short line of sight. When I'm playing elementalist I often do vaults:4 and the easier branches before depths:1, and get three runes before trying depths:3. Even then, I sometimes get oneshot. Be ready to stair-dance after depths:1
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14613 on: May 02, 2018, 06:49:21 pm »

After dealing with the Spider Nest, i am now certain there are much more monsters in a floor than in past version.
Currently on the floor with the rune

And before killing those 2 scorpion kings, i had to deal with an absurd amount of spiders in there. It's not my first time in the Spider Nest but i never had to face so many monsters on there before.

I guess this may have to do with making branches shorters , they certainly upped (a lot) the amount of monsters by floor to balance with the loss of potential XP from branches losing floors.
I remember in the last version i played feeling there were more naga already in the naga pit, but still nothing comparable with what i see in this 0.21.x run

I gave a google search about this, and apparently it's part of the feature list in this 0.21.x
Monsters no longer spawn after level-generation in most places, which includes the nasty out-of-depth monsters that formerly spawned after many turns. Instead a few more monsters generate on each level, and monsters have a small chance to generate awake, although never near stairs. Air elementals have a short-range, short-duration Tornado-like Vortex ability. Player ghosts now are all speed 10 and never spawn with chaos melee. Finally, random Pandemonium Lords no longer can have the Shatter spell.
Probably explaining why i saw so many monsters in this run, as i guess "a few" more of them + more of them being actually awake make their assault on you (especially when you're not playing a stealth type of character or in my case have an ancestor that use those super noisy bolts regularly) looking like it's on a larger scale than before.

edit : once the giant massive assault finally stopped by lack of enemies, walking to the rune felt like an easy walk as out of those pesky invisible ghost moth, there was only a few spiders left in the rune vault.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 07:00:32 pm by Robsoie »

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14614 on: May 02, 2018, 09:12:42 pm »

TBH, unless I'm going for extra runes I usually just skip a fair amount of depths and Zot.  Depends on consumables/whatever but if you've already gone through 3 rune vaults you're usually close to full power.  They have definitely added some late game threats that just murder if with the right combination of monsters (Quicksilver dragons I'm looking at you).  But if you've got a few haste and a wand of digging, just find your way down and skip the tedium.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14615 on: May 03, 2018, 06:44:09 am »

Found an amulet of reflection and decided to wear it as i couldn't find unfortunately a shield of reflection, only normal ones.

And with high shield skill (i have it currently at 15, maybe i'll up it more as reflection benefit from having more blocking success) reflection is a great thing.
Especially when you decide it's time for Shoals.

And then you love having reflection and high shield skill :)

In Shoal i ran into a new unique (again new to me as it's been long time since i last went there) "Bai Suzhen" that looked like a draconian in robes.
Having no idea if that was a monster i could take on or should run away, along with my ancestor we engaged a fight.
Only to finally use a blink scroll in order to flee the area and get to the nearby stairs, as there were a bit too many hydras he was regularly summoning for me to stay in melee.
And he seemed to be very resilient to my strikes and ancestor actions, i guess another unique with huge hp pool :/

So i went back from another stair, but this time with the intention to keep the fight ranged, with the very good evocation skill, it was time to give a try to shoot that damn thing to death with the many wands i had collected.

And what a good time it was to use that nice wand of clouds i had (a recent addition to the wand line in dcss i guess) and it did a great job as a lots of fire clouds were killing the hydras and hurting the unique (while i was bombarding him with my wand of flame and my wand of acid)
That along my ancestor shooting lava bolt (and his very strong melee attack as the monster was corroded by my acid wand) very likely helped , and finally the unique went down.

On the floor below was the rune , as usual i ran into the witch but to my surprise she went down fast, not from my strikes but from my ancestor that i buffed a bit with the related power and he utterly annihilated her (while she was in a cloud of ice from my wand), while my amulet of reflection combo with my shield blocks were killing those minions of her that were throwing their spear only to get them back in their faces.

And finally the rune :
In the shadows on the south of the rune, there's a kraken simulacrum he took a few hit from my ancestor but i prefer to not try my luck with it, going to fetch the rune and get the hell out of there.

After that i'll aim for the Vaults in the hope to fetch the 3rd rune, i wonder how the difficulty will be then if they increased the amount of monsters in each floors, Vaults always had a bunch of them in the past.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14616 on: May 03, 2018, 07:16:39 am »

That's a loaded trove, Ozarck.
It really was. I hope to make good usze of it.

Found an amulet of reflection and decided to wear it as i couldn't find unfortunately a shield of reflection, only normal ones.

And with high shield skill (i have it currently at 15, maybe i'll up it more as reflection benefit from having more blocking success) reflection is a great thing.
Especially when you decide it's time for Shoals.

And then you love having reflection and high shield skill :)
I do love me some reflection and shield!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14617 on: May 03, 2018, 07:55:59 am »

stupid, stupid , stupid yasd.

After entering Vaults and getting welcomed by a bunch of orcs and yaktaurs on the same small room (fortunately they weren't a threat to my character anymore at that point) i started to explored around.
Then ran into a single fire giant.

Hmm, ok by now i'm sure i can take them.
So i tell the ancestor to target it, hoping it would not use lava bolt but his other spell instead, and then we move close to it and bludgeon that damned fire giant to oblivion.

3 turns later, my character is destroyed.

After the initial "what the hell just happened" i remembered that i came from shoals , i remembered the witch and my preparation against her ice shots that can deal high damage if unlucky (for me) damage rolls, that involved those 2 rings of ice that i was wearing to get max ice resistance (as my plate armor brand gave me one level already).
Those 2 damned rings that gave each -1 level of fire resistance ... i completely forgot i was wearing them instead of my usual stuff.

stupid stupid stupid.

Oh and why the hell have they removed cure mutation potion and replaced it with a potion that remove mutation and give you a positive one and negative one, how is that even remotely fun ?

In my character case i took a mutation potions i found so far to remove that damned uncontrollable shout i had still my (fortunately) short Abyss banishment but it gave me the "frail" one instead of the "shout" (and due to gargoyle + the ancestor guy that takes you 10% more, frail on top is just too crippling).
As i had 2 more of those potions, i decided to take them to remove that frail.
And guess what i ended with, frail again + deteriorating body on damage ! , so obviously took the last potion of mutation and then ... frail again.

Code: [Select]
39041 | Elf:1    | Lost mutation: You occasionally shout uncontrollably at your foes. [potion of mutation]
 39041 | Elf:1    | Gained mutation: You are frail. (-10% HP) [potion of mutation]
 39041 | Elf:1    | Gained mutation: You have sharp toenails. [potion of mutation]
 39041 | Elf:1    | Gained mutation: Your spells are a little harder to cast, but a little more powerful. [potion of mutation]
 39126 | Orc:2    | Bought a potion of mutation for 120 gold pieces
 39126 | Orc:2    | Lost mutation: You have sharp toenails. [potion of mutation]
 39126 | Orc:2    | Lost mutation: You are frail. (-10% HP) [potion of mutation]
 39126 | Orc:2    | Gained mutation: Your body sometimes deteriorates upon taking damage. [potion of mutation]
 39126 | Orc:2    | Gained mutation: You are agile. (Dex +2) [potion of mutation]
 39318 | D:13     | Bought a potion of mutation for 312 gold pieces
 39318 | D:13     | Lost mutation: Your body sometimes deteriorates upon taking damage. [potion of mutation]
 39318 | D:13     | Lost mutation: You are agile. (Dex +2) [potion of mutation]
 39318 | D:13     | Gained mutation: You are agile. (Dex +2) [potion of mutation]
 39318 | D:13     | Gained mutation: You are frail. (-10% HP) [potion of mutation]
 39318 | D:13     | Gained mutation: You are partially covered in rugged brown scales. (AC +1, +3% HP) [potion of mutation]

Oh well, i guess i'm back to an older version then.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:58:21 am by Robsoie »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14618 on: May 03, 2018, 11:26:02 am »

Ouch, that's some pretty awful luck with the mutation potions. They're usually better at removing bad mutations then that. Honestly, level 1 or 2 of shoutitis isn't worth removing unless you're a cat or something.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14619 on: May 03, 2018, 12:16:20 pm »

Bad luck is one of my characters traits anyways, along with making stupid mistakes :D

I'm not sure why that mutation isn't worth removing ?

While in the "normal" dungeon there's not much of a problem with your character waking up every monsters around and from nearby rooms, when you start to get into the branches (or the depths), in which the difficulty is jumping with stronger and better monsters than in the dungeon, you don't really want to have all the surrounding monsters being suddenly awake and coming for you as if you had a permanent "mark" brand (like you do in the Vault).

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14620 on: May 03, 2018, 12:41:47 pm »

Low levels of shoutitis trigger pretty rarely in my experience. And shouting doesn't make nearly as much noise as you think it does, certainly not enough to be anywhere near as dangerous as a mark trap is.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14621 on: May 03, 2018, 05:23:59 pm »

I agree. Shoutitis is not really bad. You should have kept your potions.
It's not luck, it's bad decision.

For your stupid death, well....it happens to everybody. Next time better !!

Bai Suzhen is very strong. Avoid him if you can, and if not, drink all the potions you can before fight. And have rElec !!

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14622 on: May 23, 2018, 03:28:23 am »

Finally updated to the latest version. Balance seems easier so far? I seem to be finding a lot more good early drops. Also are gnolls as ridiculous as they seem? Anyway got this guy running, this is how you Sif Muna, right?

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14623 on: May 23, 2018, 04:02:13 pm »

I dunno if you're throwing shade at my girl Sif, but I just want to note that TrMo of Wu Jian is always the way to go.  Wall Kicks are beautiful because it's basically a binary 'You explode your enemies into chunks of meat hurled across the room' or 'you're dead'.

Think I'll have to fire up a game.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14624 on: May 24, 2018, 07:48:06 am »

The +2 boots of the assassin do not synergize well with a +12 Crystal plate armor.
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 990